People Don't Learn modes right and it's bugging the crap outa me.
Everywhere I look there is a lot of emphasis onn what intervals and notes that make up particular modes but thats the really easy part.
Ive come to realise by teaching guitar that not enough people know what chord progressions fit over what modes/scales or worse still, they dont realise that modes are not actually modes if not played over the right chords!!!
Can somebody either point these folks to a place they can get help or post something.
I would but Its taken me a while to get this written and now I need sleep,
Thanks ya'll
If your going to bitch about it, you should take the initiative to "point these folks to a place they can get help or post something"
Nikolas
Quote by libriumbum
People Don't Learn modes right and it's bugging the crap outa me.
Everywhere I look there is a lot of emphasis onn what intervals and notes that make up particular modes but thats the really easy part.
Ive come to realise by teaching guitar that not enough people know what chord progressions fit over what modes/scales or worse still, they dont realise that modes are not actually modes if not played over the right chords!!!
Can somebody either point these folks to a place they can get help or post something.
I would but Its taken me a while to get this written and now I need sleep,
Thanks ya'll

It would take other people effort too. If you're complaining, its best for you to help and not be lazy.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Do something about it, a lesson for the folks maybe ?

Edit : When you began playing guitar, did you know anything about modes ? I guess not, it takes time for people to learn, to realize their own mistake so.. Since you are THAT great, why wouldnt you contribute and submit a lesson ?
Last edited by Darkshade666 at Jul 14, 2007,
i play them each as individual scales, not modes

...?
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by EZLN libertad
i play them each as individual scales, not modes

...?

Same here. I personally think thats the proper way to think of them and play them.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
So, are you going to just bitch about it and not actually explain what people are doing wrong? If so, then this thread is completely pointless.
Quote by bluesrocker101
Same here. I personally think thats the proper way to think of them and play them.

yeah, ditto, that way you learn that each has their own function, and own unique traits and sound, not just that its part of a bigger picture

this thread'll probably get owned by a mod soon
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by bluesrocker101

for sure, thats what they are after all (different scales).

Its helpful to understand the relationship to the major scale, and its a good place to start, but when it comes down to using them, you have to see & hear them for what they are.
shred is gaudy music
You can use them as different scales, or use them as secondary positions of the modes. Either way they work.
Quote by FlyF1402
You can use them as different scales, or use them as secondary positions of the modes. Either way they work.

Using them as positions isn't playing the mode. If you play in a position that indicates C# Phrygian but are playing over an E7 chord, it is E Myxolydian regardless of what "box" you are in. The notes are what matters, not the position.
The reason I never explained myself about this post was I was busy with my schedule and not spending my life online, I apologise friends.
My reasons for this post was to raise awareness to the fact that people don't learn modes correctly, as most replies to this post prove.
I don't want to insult people, just help.
My point was that if a B phrygian is played over a G major chord it is technically not the phrygian mode and therefore loses any traits of that mode making the time and effort spent learning it useless because it is in fact a position of G major in this circumstance.
^ great, good job, want a cookie? maybe you should make a lesson for all these poor lost wretched souls who don't know how to properly use a mode.
Okay, so I just actually realized that about modes yesterday, and I can see what you mean. I've known the basics (or so I thought) for a year now.

So, the major scale (ionian mode) only becomes a different mode over a certain chord?
how do i know which chord progression each mode can go over?

i always just figured i'd start on a different note in the major scale and just emphasize different notes.
they dont realise that modes are not actually modes if not played over the right chords!!!

I agree with you I think that 90% of musicians are taught incorrectly but that is the

teachers fault and not the self teachers fault. 90% of people are stupid as well so that accounts for everyone online that is trying to learn but doesnt understand.

First off you wrong... a mode is a mode is a mode. I don't care what you were taught. A mode is just an alternative way of viewing the same scale. Chords come later. Chords are written in over modes and not vice versa. You figure out conflicting notes and kill them... raise or lower... the law of means... diminish or augment...

Modes are a joke to learn. That is little kid theory but everyone has to start somwhere.

On the other hand I have 0 tolerance for people who talk theory like they know it but do not understand why things are the way they are. Once you sit on your basic theory for about 2 years you will write your best music ever.
Quote by louie_dogg
how do i know which chord progression each mode can go over?

i always just figured i'd start on a different note in the major scale and just emphasize different notes.

Each mode has a "characteristic chord" that fits over the mode and brings out it's sound. I suggest you use the search button for this one. As a quick example about emphasizing different notes: If you are playing G "Mixolydian" over a C major chord, it won't sound Mixolydian. It'll sound like you are landing on the 5th of the chord.
After reading through all the arguing thread, can we perhaps quit talking about how people are taught wrong and maybe point us in the right way? Is there a lesson or something?
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
Each mode has a "characteristic chord" that fits over the mode and brings out it's sound. I suggest you use the search button for this one. As a quick example about emphasizing different notes: If you are playing G "Mixolydian" over a C major chord, it won't sound Mixolydian. It'll sound like you are landing on the 5th of the chord.

that being said if you were playin a C5 it would sound good.
well being the only guitarist in the band
i use modes as a way to just expand my riffs
well mainly solos.
i dont apply them to chords as i dont have another guitarist
although it problly would be a good idea to learn.
i can figure out what sounds good on basic chords.
but not like dm11 stuff.
i havnt taken the time to learn yet.
or polychords.
I think a main problem is there are no examples. Sure, you can say play this/play that, but no one on the boards tends to analyze pieces. I think that would make things so much easier. I don't know a whole lot about modes, I can't use them right. However, if there was maybe a weekly thread or a lesson going over each mode with examples from actual songs then more people would understand it. Also, if that does happen, after describing the mode and how it was used correctly in whatever part you analyze, show them what would be wrong.
music is subjective, what you *think* is right is not a very important topic to most musicians.
Standard Fender Telecaster
Fender Blues Jr
Ibz10
^why?
Modes are extremely important, mostly when your writing chord progressions or melodies.

Quote by branny1982
i couldnt agree more.
Something i have asked for, and got warned about, is more detail on each mode in the shape of a small piece, highlighting the modes signature chord.

Your forgetting that all the proactive and bold UG'ers have almost all left.
I mean, I'd write an article or two, but the way I understand theory is so much different than how the rest of the world understands it.

Anyway, most of that information is in the great and wonderfull sticky. As for the signature chords, its basically a seventh chord (or dominant) with a note added thats unique to the scale, like the b9 of the phyrgian mode or #4 of the lydian mode
Last edited by demonofthenight at Jul 20, 2007,
Quote by demonofthenight
^why?
Modes are extremely important, mostly when your writing chord progressions or melodies.

I just play what feels right. I realize this isn't my forum for the kind of music I play, but it just sounds like a bunch of rules and barriers to me, but to someone else its probably a way to make bitchin' music. Its a real personal preference but all this confusion of rules isn't for me, I just wanna play guitar and not worry about whats right or whats wrong.