OK, so I've been playing for about a year now and my current amp is Line 6 Spider III 30watt, I know it sucks, but when I bought it I hardly knew what I was getting myself into and it sounded nice. Now that I'm more experienced I want a better metal sound out of my playing which is impossible with such a crappy amp. I've looked around the forums and I fully realize that if I want to get a particular band's sound I need to get the same amp as they have, or at least of the same series/company. The problem is I'm a college student and live on campus. Big amps are not allowed and half the time I'm forced to play with headphones on because of the time of the day I can practice or a roommate is trying to study/sleep, and I don't want to be an ass.

So my question to you guys is this: should I get a distortion pedal to get that crunchy metal sound I'm looking for or should I look into buying a better amp? Please don't suggest anything over 50 watt. Even with 30 watt amp I hardly go above 3 on volume knob. And if a distortion pedal will be enough to please my appetite for destructive sound then what brand should I look into?

If it helps I play a lot of metallica, megadeth, lamb of god, and pantera.

My guitar is Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR with EMG's 81/85 that I bought a month ago.

Thanks in advance, and please, no immature/pointless responses... I'm asking a serious question here.
A distortion pedal in kinda redundant what with built in effects that the spider has. For a small amp that does it's job I'd say a roland cube. Now that you'd need a pedal.
Gear
Custom Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Acoustic
VK 112
Epi VJ
EHX Holy Grail
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Modded Tubescreamer TS7 -> TS-808
Strat Knockoff
Mesa? the 5:50 express is a 50 watt and a 5 watt tube combined. i think it gets enough gain for ur music. it's not cheap though. cuz i don't think i saw a budget there...

if not, yes. roland cube.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
how much money do you have/are you willing to spend?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Money isn't a problem really. I'm willing to work extra hours to make up for the higher cost. I just checked Roland 60watt cube on their website, the audio files there sound really damn great. But gotta check it out in a local Guitar Center first though. If 30watt sounds just as awesome as 60watt then I might buy it instead. But I really don't want to spend more than $500 for a new amp.
+1 to cube.

When your at the guitar store also try out the 5w Crate palomino or Valve junior with distortion pedals. You might like their sound better.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
For some odd reason Guitar Center does not stock the larger Cubes in the stores.
@ least not here. I finally found mine at the old guy's guitar shop down the street. $325 US for the Cube 60. Bought a Metal Muff, and a Digitech Metal Master, and wow.
Definately sounds crushing. Loud as HELL too for a SS.
Wow, it seems Roland Cube is a winner. I'll definitely check it out along with some Crate amps, heard a lot of good things about them too. Thanks for the help!

I also like the acoustic feature on the Roland amps, very versatile.
Honestly, i'd say get another SS amp. You pretty mcuh cant get a low wattage high gain valve amp. And you cant use headphones with them. Unless you buy an attenuator...
+1 On the cube.
Maybe a micro cube would be a nice choice and you can start saving for a valve amp for once you get out of college.
you wanna know the best bet for playing in a college dorm? play into your computer and wear headphones. seriously i did that waaayyyy more than i ever used my amp while in the dorm. hell, i still do that a lot. something like a USB interface or even just a mic preamp with a 1/4" input will do. so a mic preamp, an adapter for your headphones, and headphones. grab a nice distortion pedal for your chain and bam, done. mic preamps can be had for under $100, you can get a nice disto pedal for around $100-150, and you probably already have headphones. so for <$250 you can get a very nice practice setup that wont bother anyone.

if you really do want an amp, then i would think that one of the cubes is the way to go. i would go for the micro cube if it is just for dorm playing. you dont need more volume than that.
^ that'd probably be a good call. It's debatable if it's worth buying a roland cube when he already has a spider (unless he sells the spider to fund the cube, and even then...).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?