Ok, so I've been thinking lately that instead of buying a footswitch to switch between channels on my 5150, I might just buy a Valve Junior and get an A/B switch to switch between my 5150 for distortion and VJ for cleans. Since I've never played a tube amp lower than 30 watts, would the VJ be loud enough? Obviously I'll have it miced at gigs, but will it be loud enough to be heard over drums at practices?

My second question is, I've never used an A/B switch before, is there any lag involved in switching between amps that I should know about? Recommendations on what one to get would be awesome.

Also, if I wanted to use my 4x12 on both of my amps, is that possible, or would I have to use the VJ on my 4x12 and just use the 2 speakers on my 5150?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by triviumjunkie
i played a 30 watt mashall and with it all the way up it still wasnt loud enough

What kind of marshall?
Quote by triviumjunkie
i played a 30 watt mashall and with it all the way up it still wasnt loud enough

A Tube amp or Solid State? Because 30 watts Tube is loud...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
The VJ is NOT the amp you want to look at for cleans. It'll start to OD if you get the volume up to any sort of gigging level.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
The VJ is NOT the amp you want to look at for cleans. It'll start to OD if you get the volume up to any sort of gigging level.

How much does it OD? All the sound clips I've heard of it seem pretty mellow.

What other amp would you reccommend instead then? Preferably pretty cheap...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
How much does it OD? All the sound clips I've heard of it seem pretty mellow.

What other amp would you reccommend instead then? Preferably pretty cheap...

Well when I rehearsed with my band using my VJ (yes it can cut it for rehearsals!) then I had the volume set to about 12 o clock, and it had a light distortion on, somewhere between clean and OD, which wouldn't be good enough to use as a standalone clean sound.

Plus the cleans on the VJ aren't its strong point, they're better with the volume up high and your guitar's volume knob rolled back. Also, the lack of reverb makes it sound quite dry and uninspiring.

To be honest on that kind of budget you'd be better served buying a solid state amp aimed at cleans (i'm not sure how much roland jazz choruses run used, probably over your budget).

My Music
Well, I could spend up to about $500, but I really don't want to, since I really don't use cleans that much, I'd just like a good clean tone for when I do.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
For cleans in that price range, look at a Fender Champion 600. Any tube amp that small is gonna start to break up at high volumes, though. Maybe look into a used Fender Blues Jr. or Pro Jr.

EDIT: Seeing your price range post, look at the blues jr.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Well maybe if you had a good clean amp you'd use cleans more. I still advise against the VJ. How much do blues jrs go for in america?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Well maybe if you had a good clean amp you'd use cleans more. I still advise against the VJ. How much do blues jrs go for in america?

Good point!

Blues Jr. is $400, Pro Jr. is $330 and Champion 600 is $200 I think.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by triviumjunkie

Now, I'm guessing it was either an MG or an AVT. Go through your post again, and think about where you mighta went wrong.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
im thinking a used blues junior would be good. the cleans are very nice, it wont cost you a fortune, and going used you can save a bit more. should be loud enough, and since it has reverb none of that dry/flat sound on your cleans.
Quote by jof1029
im thinking a used blues junior would be good. the cleans are very nice, it wont cost you a fortune, and going used you can save a bit more. should be loud enough, and since it has reverb none of that dry/flat sound on your cleans.

Yeah I'll deffinately look around for a Blues Junior on Craigslist or something cause I don't feel comfortable buying something fragile like that and not being able to play it or physically touch it before I buy it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Don't rule out the Pro Jr. if you can find a good price on it. It's 15 watts just like the blues jr. but i think it just has volume and tone controls.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by MatrixClaw
Ok, so I've been thinking lately that instead of buying a footswitch to switch between channels on my 5150, I might just buy a Valve Junior and get an A/B switch to switch between my 5150 for distortion and VJ for cleans. Since I've never played a tube amp lower than 30 watts, would the VJ be loud enough? Obviously I'll have it miced at gigs, but will it be loud enough to be heard over drums at practices?

My second question is, I've never used an A/B switch before, is there any lag involved in switching between amps that I should know about? Recommendations on what one to get would be awesome.

Also, if I wanted to use my 4x12 on both of my amps, is that possible, or would I have to use the VJ on my 4x12 and just use the 2 speakers on my 5150?

Yes you can use your 4x12 for both, but it will not be cheap. The cheapest I have seen to be able to run two heads to a single 4x12 is about $250. If I remembered the name i would give it to you, just search for it on google. Personally I think you should look into a Roland jc-120 for cleans. You can easily find them used on craigslist for $300-350 at the most. Its not tube, but it is known as one of the best clean tones you can get. And it will be loud enough so you will not have to run it through your 4x12 so getting an a/b switch will be loads cheaper. A switch just to be able to switch between amps will run you about $50ish tops for a cheap a/b switch from Behringer(sp?)
^I don't have a clue what you're talking about when you mention it costing $250 to run two heads into one cab, but i will back your suggestion of the Roland JC-120.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by triviumjunkie

if it was a tube marshall your full of crap or it was broken. because my 900 is set on 25 watts and it is plenty loud
^Ah, i see.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by Diet_coke_head

Damn, beat me to it.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Ah, well that's not that big of a problem. If I happend to get a head or a small combo, I could use it through the 4x12 and use my 5150 just through its 2 speakers, it's plently loud with them, I was just wondering if it was possible, but for $250, I'd rather not

I'll look out for the Roland though. I found a guy selling a Blues Junior for $200 on Craigslist, his cat got to it but it says it plays fine, I'm waiting for a reply to see if he still has it. I also found a Hot Rod Deluxe for $250, says it needs new tubes soon, but I have no problem retubing it as the preamp tubes in my 5150 look like they still have a quite a bit of life in them and I could just order a few more 6l6s when I order new tubes for my 5150 (I'm doing a full retube, eventhough just the power amp ones need retubed, the tubes in it now seem to tame the amp which is not what I want, but would be fine in a Fender).

Do you guys think I should go for the Hot Rod, or just stay with the Blues Junior? I've never played a Hot Rod Deluxe on its clean channel so I wouldn't really know how good the cleans on it are compared to the Blues Junior.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
for just $50 more, i would go for the hot rod as long as it works well. there is one going for $450 on my local craigslist to give you a comparison. see if you can go up to a guitar shop today or tomorrow and play a hot rod deluxe and see if you like it. in the mean time, make sure the guy knows you are interested. if you like the cleans, pick it up.
Quote by jof1029
for just $50 more, i would go for the hot rod as long as it works well. there is one going for $450 on my local craigslist to give you a comparison. see if you can go up to a guitar shop today or tomorrow and play a hot rod deluxe and see if you like it. in the mean time, make sure the guy knows you are interested. if you like the cleans, pick it up.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, plus I know it'll be plently loud, 40 watts tube. I'll try to make it over to Guitar Center tomorrow after work cause I don't think our shop in the mall carries any tube Fenders.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I love the cleans on my Hot Rod. Mine breaks up pretty fast, though. If you do get it and end up changing the tubes I'd take that into consideration.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by MuffinMan
I love the cleans on my Hot Rod. Mine breaks up pretty fast, though. If you do get it and end up changing the tubes I'd take that into consideration.

Alright, I'll deffinately look out for that, thanks for the insight
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
The Hot Rod is a steal at that price. It has comparable cleans to the blues jr., but the OD channels are pretty useless IMO, not that you'll be needing them. Either one is a worthwhile investment.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by TNfootballfan62
The Hot Rod is a steal at that price. It has comparable cleans to the blues jr., but the OD channels are pretty useless IMO, not that you'll be needing them. Either one is a worthwhile investment.

Yeah I saw that and I sent the guy an email instantly, hopefully he gets back to me soon and still has it.

Another guy on craigslist sent me a message (I posted a wanted ad) saying he has a Fender Stage 160 for about $250. Would this be worthwhile if one of the tube amps don't work out, or should I just hold out for a Blues Jr or the like?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Anyone ever tried a Roland GC-408 too? Guy from Craigslist is selling that as well for around $200 and says the cleans are great, but it's only 60 watts solid state... At that rating, I might as well use my Vox and mic it at shows cause I know it's loud enough for practice...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Alright, got another one. Fender Super 210. Anyone played one?

Guy says its an early 90's model, all original, 65 watts tube with 2 10" celestions. He's asking $250.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
bump, yet again.

No one has any opinions?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com