I have a few questions about this amp that needs clearing up.
How loud can they go? Taking into consideration the 112 EFX(which is 65 watts)
Are they good enough for gigs?
Were they meant to sound like tube amps? Do they?
Are they supposed to be hybrid amps, solid state or tube?<--stupid question cause from what I've read they're Hybrid I think.
Would you prefer this amp over a 100% tube amp? (If it's a hybrid amp)
Would you recommend anything other amp instead of this? Why?

I would be really grateful if somebody answered this questions and express their opinion! Thanks!
IMO most of the SS peavey amps sound awful. one of the least tube-sounding amps I've ever heard, really.

The clean tones are decent and the reverb's OK, but the distortion is weedy.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Most people say they are pretty versatile, are they any good for metal?
What amp would be better in your opinion?
Cause I wouldn't mind getting a tube tbh .
My price range is somewhere around $500 USD
Last edited by Virtuoso883 at Jul 14, 2007,
I could gig with one if I had to. The Peavey Transtube is the closest-to-tube sounding ss amp I have heard (maybe about 25% approach to tube.) I prefer tube but for practice or weekend jamming they don't sound half bad. All Peavey amps I ever played needed a lot of tweaking to get a good tone. To some this sounds like baloney but if you sit down with one and mess with it for a while you will probably be pleasantly surprised. One thing: You either like Peaveys or you hate them. See what you think.
So I might start considering to get Fender instead, cause from what I heard the ValveKing isn't versatile and isn't good for metal. What I need is a versatile amp.
Quote by Virtuoso883
So I might start considering to get Fender instead, cause from what I heard the ValveKing isn't versatile and isn't good for metal. What I need is a versatile amp.

Valvekings aren't versatile. They can do a few tones, but none of them very well.

To be honest with your budget you're looking at SS amps, so unless saving up a lot of extra cash is an option have a look at:

Roland Cube 60 - I don't really like this one, too fizzy and SS sounding for metal, and bland for everything else, but it has a lot of fans around here. It'd do for gigging, and is a hell of a lot better than the peavey. A big plus is the built in effects. I think it has quantity over quality a bit, but the FX are still very usable.

Hughes & Kettner Matrix 100 - I like this better than the cube. Sounds more natural to my ears, and all of the channels are usable. Does mid-gain crunch better than the cube and the metal sounds are less fizzy. It will also take pedals better than the cube because it isn't a modeller. The delay and reverb are good, the flange is decent and the tremolo is useless. Lacks the effects quality of the cube, but still the better amp IMO.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music