Hey guys

Alot of people ask questions about improvising, and I usually always answer with this:

Quote by CowboyUp in WAY too many threads
"Learn solos by your favorite guitarists and incorporate their licks and phrases into your playing."

I'm going to expand on that and show the process used in creating your own licks based off of simple patterns!

Take any guitarist that you like, that you want to sound like, and learn one of your favorite solos that is played by them. Even if it seems too hard, learn it, push on through.

Take the rhythm patterns and parts of licks (or whole licks) and just throw them around. For instance, say you have a sextuplet pattern like this:

e----12-10-9-10-9--------------
B-----------------12----------

Just a simple pattern, starts at a top note, then descends two, then goes down one interval from the original note and does the same thing.

At first it is just a very simple pattern, but if you take the same feel and same rhythm (descending sextuplets), you can basically play that anywhere, any key, any situation, any tempo.

For simplicities sake, we will just play in the same position and descend the whole scale (this is in E myxolydian)

Ok, now the pattern is just descending two notes in the scale, and then doing the same thing, just a note below the original note, right? So here we go,

e---12-10-9-10-9--9------------------------------------------
B---------------12-12-10-12-10-9-10--9--9-------------------
G-----------------------------------11-11-9~-------------------
D-----------------------------------------------------------------

Now we have something interesting that could be easily be thrown into an improvisation. It doesn't have to follow the pattern quite that strictly though. That time all I did was continue the lick from what it originally was. Now I'm going to take the lick and turn it into something totally different- an ascending run!

e-12-10-9-10-9--14-12-10-12-10--16-14-12-14-12------
B-------------12--------------14--------------15----

e-17-16-14-16-14--19-17-16-17-16--21-19-17-19-17----
B---------------17--------------19---------------21-

e-22-21-19-21-19--22fb~~~~~~------------------------
B---------------22----------------------------------

That is totally different, and could be used in situations totally different than the last lick. All I did was decide to go up instead of down on the next beat.

This isn't restricted to keys either. You could play these same licks, same rhythm and interval patterns, and play it in any scale or mode you want to.

There you have it! You can just take a simple pattern and change it up any way you want and create cool licks! I just completely pulled these licks from nowhere, and they aren't half bad! Why? NOT because I am worth a damn, but because it is so easy to do.

Hopefully this helps some of you guys out!

Cheers
Nice thread Cowboy, but you know this won't stop everyone from posting those damn improv threads
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
Nice one man. I already know most of it, and I know the routine, but this is perfect. Nice read. You could always add in the octaves trick aswell.

DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by VR2005
Nice thread Cowboy, but you know this won't stop everyone from posting those damn improv threads

Better to try and fail than to not try at all
This is true.

Cheers
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
Quote by bluesrocker101
Nice one man. I already know most of it, and I know the routine, but this is perfect. Nice read. You could always add in the octaves trick aswell.

Actually, out of boredom, I tried to see what other licks I could develop, and I have made several pedal tone licks, string skipped octaves, etc. This is fun!
I could spend hours with a guitar, small amp and a stack of TAB and sheet music, writing licks. It gets addicting-ly fun.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Good thread you got here, mate.
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
^ Indeed...

Good article Cowboy.... I hope it helps a few "I N33D HALP WIT IMRPOV!!!" people
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!