i am looking at an agile AL2000. would that be good for a good ska punk sound (good clean but good distorted)? Are there any pickups that i should change in it?
Thanks a bunch.
Uh...

You just made a thread about this earlier today.

I'll give you the same advice I did in that thread. The humbuckers in the Les Paul will thicken your sound to the point where it's not quite ska-ish anymore, and you can't just put single coils in a LP, unless you're talking P-90s, and those won't sound good for ska either.

Look, just buy a Tele or a Strat. LPs look cool, and I'm sure you want the image, but if you want to play ska punk, you want single coils and a light alder/ash body. Squier Standards run about the same as AL-2000s, and for a little more you can get a Fender Mexican Standard.

You're short-changing yourself by buying a guitar based on looks, kid.
No. LPs are not good guitars for ska. get a tele or a strat. you want twangy, sparkly sound, not crushing bass.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
yeah just go with a strat, the neck pickup is just amazing for stuff like that
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
u know in punk people use all kinda of guitars, you can probally use w/e u want...
Ibanez RG321
Ibanez RG220
Member of UG's HATECREW
Quote by ibanezguitarz07
u know in punk people use all kinda of guitars, you can probally use w/e u want...

Not in ska punk! It's all about single coils.

In regular punk, yeah, nobody gives a **** about tone, just crank the gain and volume and let those power chords rip.
my favorite ska punk band used a les paul. five iron frenzy, I didnt see then live or anything but I saw it in a pic, Micah is using a les paul. so I would say if you want to thats the guitar you should get.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Back when I was in to that style every band I knew of and saw used Les Pauls or the same type of guitar. Single coils work good for for ska/reggae but they fall behind as soon as you hit the distortion and go into the punk aspect of the style. Hell.. come to think of it every mainstream ska punk band I can think of used Les Pauls.
In my opinion, a Les Paul will be fine. I know that the singer/guitarist in Reel Big Fish happens to use a Les Paul-style guitar, WITH HUMBUCKERS, and he has a nice ska tone. I mean, seriously... if the guitar is comfortable to you, then just get it. Your amp/effects will take care of most of the tone anyway.

EDIT: To the guy who mentioned Five Iron Frenzy, GOOD TASTE! You're the only other person I've heard mention them on UG, they're a cool band.
Quote by sixstringedaxe
Back when I was in to that style every band I knew of and saw used Les Pauls or the same type of guitar. Single coils work good for for ska/reggae but they fall behind as soon as you hit the distortion and go into the punk aspect of the style. Hell.. come to think of it every mainstream ska punk band I can think of used Les Pauls.

woah, dont tell the ramones or the clash that.
Quote by Arlabester
woah, dont tell the ramones or the clash that.

I think he meant ska punk bands.
illscarletts lead guitarist uses an LP and hes got sick tone, nice snappy clean tone and awesome distorted tones to
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
Quote by JoeBender
Your amp/effects will take care of most of the tone anyway.

Yeah, I was gonna say - the one thing I've learned more than anything else in my short time on these boards is that the amp is more important in terms of establishing tone.
Less than jake uses LP's. Honestly, if you cant get a trebly clean sound out of your amp with an lp, than you need a new amp. i play ska with a ****ing invader and it sounds fine.
-Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410
-Tons of other bass/guitar gear

FAST MELODIC PUNK! CHECK OUT MY BAND!
therowleyestate.bandcamp.com
Quote by Fender_punk
Less than jake uses LP's. Honestly, if you cant get a trebly clean sound out of your amp with an lp, than you need a new amp. i play ska with a ****ing invader and it sounds fine.

Congrats, but all things considered...

LPs aren't the brightest sounding guitars in the world. If you want ska tone, you want bright, trebly sound. That comes from light woods and single coil pickups.
It's not about genres, it's about tone....the TS is looking for a bright, percussive tone that reacts well to left hand damping. With that in mind, a Les Paul type isn't the ideal choice as it's got a warmer, thicker sound due to both it's construction and it's pickups. A tele or strat would be a better choice, the tele will give you better top-end bite and "clang" whilst the strat's a little more versatile.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Fender_punk

Of course it's possible to get a clean trebly sound out of a les paul, but it's not going to sound as good as a guitar that naturally has that tone anyway like a tele or strat. That is, unless you have a 31 band graphic EQ on your amp which not many people have, and know exactly how to use it effectively, but why go to that trouble when you can get a guitar that will give you the tone you're looking for even on balanced EQ?
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Whilst undoubtably a Strat or Tele suits the twangy nature of ska better, you CAN use a LP and if you EQ right it will sound great.

Just because other people don't do it, doesn't make it wrong. You can play any genre with any guitar and as long as you're willing to spend time with it you can probably get a great tone. IT might be slightly different to the cliche, but that's not "wrong".

But if you're after the stereotype sound, yeah, Strat or Tele.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Whilst undoubtably a Strat or Tele suits the twangy nature of ska better, you CAN use a LP and if you EQ right it will sound great.

that's basically what i was saying. You can't really get a good sound with the typical 3 band EQ that a guitar amp has, because you boost the treble, you are boosting a big chunk of high frequencies which will hurt people's ears (trust me, i tried it when i was a noob). my point about it is, bands like Less Than Jake probably have racks of stuff for live gigs and stuff so their sound tech can tweak a 31 band EQ to get a nice ska tone, but most people don't have access to this gear or don't have the skills to operate it or know anyone who can, so they'd be better off just getting a strat or tele which will do the EQ for them because of the natural tonal response.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Aaron Barret of Reel Big Fish uses Les Pauls in the Studio and a custom double cut les paul on stage, he used to use Les Pauls all the time and before that Ibanez guitars, he uses Marshall JCM amps (not sure if it's 800 or 900 though)
He nails the ska tone pretty well.
get a tele... it really fits the style... and yes it can handle gain (against all authority has more gain then most ska i listen to and they use a tele), even though some people lead you to believe otherwise

a hollowbody(streetlight manifesto) or les paul junior (reel big fish) also works well.... and knowing the style myself... stage energy is very important and the les paul is just not a guitar you can throw your self around with...
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158