I am only noob (been playing for a little under a year, but I already have a band together and trying to get book). I have the lyrics but can't decide what key I want or anything, i know what I'm doing theory wise. sort of.

Anyway,

It's about how we (society) indulge in drinking, smoking, eating jnuk food, playing videogames, being lazy and not doing anything about it.

Back then it wasn't like that, so who or what's to blame?

Here are the lyrics:

Title: Then and Now
Lyrics by: Kenneth Zdansky
Music by:

Key:
Time Signature: 4/4

Intro: mini-solo
Chorus: 1
Verses: 3
Bridge: 1
Outro: long solo

Intro:

1st Verse:

Have a smoke, puff yourself to death.

Have a drink, 'till you pass out 'gainst your desk

Pop some pills, it's an all-out drug fest!

Be a bad example, when your mere life's a gamble.

Chorus:

Money for food, money for booze,

Either way you still lose.

Be an athlete, to the fridge and back.

See what else your life lacks

2nd Verse:

Go ahead take a seat, you are what you eat.

Time is ticking by, your life is but a lie.

Play your game, you're nothing but a shame.

Is it connected to the brain,

or a different train all the same.

Bridge:

A mule and a plow,

Make do with what you have.

It ain't all bad,

Living by the sweat of your brow.

3rd Verse:

Worked 'till they tired,

Had no need to get wired.

They'd work all day and night,

Just because they knew it right.

Chorus:

A mule and a plow,

Make do with what you have.

It ain't all bad,

Living by the sweat of your brow.

Outro:

So, if you help me, I will give credit when we play it live. Thanks
Haha man, the problem is, you really shouldnt just go in and write lyrics and plan all that without any music. I mean a lot of people will say you can write lyrics first but idk, it seems kind of silly to me.

Why dont you just find a riff to come up with, maybe? Not sure what to tell you beyond that.
"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start..."
Charles Bukowski
maybe something based off like a Cmajor pentatonic for the verse, G for the chours, and F for the bridge?
**** man we can't write songs for you not to sound like an ass. what you need to do is get the tune you want this to sound like in your head and start putting that whistle or hum or what ever you do on the guitar.

i am assuming if you have a whole structure you are picturing at least like the main riff in you head music wise not words.

you need to put thsat on guitar and go from there
Quote by neptune1988
maybe something based off like a Cmajor pentatonic for the verse, G for the chours, and F for the bridge?

Well yeah, that would go together sure, but I don't see why you're sitting here trying to figure all that out without your guitar. Why not find out where you want to go from the intial key? Memorable riffs aren't really made by sitting down and saying the time signature and key of all the individual parts of the song beforehand... At least most of the time.

You know what I'm saying?
Charles Bukowski
those r some of the best lyrics i've seen from someone as new into the music community as u
maybe u could have some palm muted power chords in the verses and the chords that neptune1988 suggested in the chorus and then for the mini solo at the beginning something based off of the cmajor pentatonic or the aminor pentatonic but thats just me
Gear
Epiphone Black Les Paul Standard with gold Grover tuners
Fender Mexican Electric Blue Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider Jam
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
Boss CS-1 Compression/Sustainer
Actually I did figure all that with my guitar just then. Believe it or not. I could throw in some slide, hammer-on, pull off, etc. I'm just going to bang out something and report back soon with a killer tune amigos.

In other words, you just grounded my self-esteem into reality, like hardcore.

Time to go bang out for a few hours and have something remotely resemble a song.
Quote by orion284
those r some of the best lyrics i've seen from someone as new into the music community as u
maybe u could have some palm muted power chords in the verses and the chords that neptune1988 suggested in the chorus and then for the mini solo at the beginning something based off of the cmajor pentatonic or the aminor pentatonic but thats just me

lol he is neptune 1988
orion284, I appreciate the comment and advice. It helps pick me up when I feel blue, now how 'bout?
Sweet Home Alabama, etc. you know the song.

How 'bout this for the rythm verses,

G, D, Aadd9, Cmaj7?
Not sure what key though?
Last edited by neptune1988 at Jul 14, 2007,
Does it sound good to you, and does it get your point across?

If so, go for it... If not, do something else.

Music is about feeling and passion... It's an art. Music theory is NOT what it's all about. Just look at Hendrix... Doesn't rumor have it that he didn't even know any theory?
Charles Bukowski