Page 1 of 2
I love Film Music (original scores). The theme from Schindlers list, Jurassic park, Indiana Jones, Braveheart and Gladiator are some of my favourites.

Shall we discuss our favourite film themes in this thread?

Can someone recommend some themes for me?
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
I think Lord Of The Rings has a brilliant theme. And lets not forget the Imperial March!
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Sergio Leone (Once upon a time in the west, Good bad ugly) always had very cool soundtracks.
Who reads sigs anyway
I have loads of soundtracks.

my favourite film scores are:
pirates of the caribbean, lord of the rings and silent hill.

and my favourite video game soundtracks are silent hill, max payne and hitman.

You should definately check out the hitman 2 soundtrack. Jesper Kyd is an absolute genius.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Romeo + Juliet (the 90's one) has great music, but none of them are original scores.

I love a part of the LOTR score, with the violin. It's like this, played slowly:

e|-7-8~-87587~----
B|------------5

Gets me every time.

I'll probably edit this post when I think of some more.
Danny Elfman scores rule.

as do those by Bernard Harmann
--------------------i'm definitely the alphaest male here--------------------
The Da Vinci Code soundtrack is excellent, but my absolute favourite has to be the Requiem for a Dream OST. Absolutely brilliant merge of electronica and classical stuff, and it works brilliantly in the film.

The Trainspotting soundtrack is great, but as it's mostly already existing songs, I don't think that's what we're discussing here.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
For films, I love anything composed by Ennio Morricone - especially The Good, The Bad and the Ugly score. I can't believe nobody has mentioned him yet! I also like anything composed by John Williams, although my favourite scores are the Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Star Wars ones.
Also, I downloaded Dmitri Shostakovich's film scores although I haven't actually seen the films!
Also, anything by Goblin, like the Suspiria and Dawn of the Dead soundtracks, is pretty cool.

For game soundtracks, the Final Fantasy IV & VII and Metal Gear Solid soundtracks are hard to beat.
Last edited by xX*Zeppelin*Xx at Jul 19, 2007,
Quote by _Mayday_
CLOCKWORK ORANGE

The soundtrack and cinematography kill everything.

I should really see that movie.
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
James Bond theme by Monty Norman. i love the last chord.

-e-----
-b--7--
-g--8--
-d--9--
-a--10-
-e--0--
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^ Ah yes, that chord is great.
<//////>~
i love the pirates soundtrack. i can play the whole score(damn concert band). but oh i absolutely love the star wars soundtrack. its geeky i know, but if you listen to it as a piece of music, instead of a mating call for star wars geeks, its fantastic.

...even though i am somewhat of a star wars geek
Quote by strong_wizard
Sergio Leone (Once upon a time in the west, Good bad ugly) always had very cool soundtracks.

Yeah Ennio Morricone is a genius! him and Leone are like Jesus and God.

Also I love the guy who composed the music in Taxi Driver.
Yeah pirates of the caribbean, LOTR and gladiator are fantastic.
I like the very original suggestion by Mayday of Baz Lurmans Romeo and Juliet, fantastic soundtrack!
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help him
(")_(") on his way to world domination
Quote by radio_schizo
Yeah Ennio Morricone is a genius! him and Leone are like Jesus and God.

Also I love the guy who composed the music in Taxi Driver.

Yeah, Taxi Driver had great music.

Quote by Caustic
but my absolute favourite has to be the Requiem for a Dream OST. Absolutely brilliant merge of electronica and classical stuff, and it works brilliantly in the film.

I love that theme as well. It's really strong.
<//////>~
π for the mother fucking win.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
^Yeah, wicked soundtrack. great movie too!
Last edited by radio_schizo at Sep 30, 2007,
Moulin Rouge
Tom Waits - Roxanne

I've never seen the movie, but I LOVE that song!
Quote by MastaBassist10
Um... John Williams anyone?

Exactly what I was thinking, absolutely amazing music.

ET is probably my favourite.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Morricone's score for Cinema Paradiso is amazing, on par with his Western scores in my opinion.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
It's funny that I've never posted in this thread yet.

I've actually been on a MASSIVE hunt for all sorts of film soundtracks in the past couple of months. I've downloaded like three gigabytes of worth of stuff, including over a dozen Danny Elfman albums, over a dozen John William albums, and some material by the likes of Ennio Mirricone and Hans Zimmer.

This mammoth frenzy all began when I fell in love with Elfman's themes for Beetleuice and Pee Wee's Big Adventure, and eventually I got the bright idea to actually look into more of his music. Before I knew it, I had acquired more than I could listen to. Though, I, of course, have listened to a ton of it.

But anyways, as someone who has heard all this film score music, I've got to acknowledge the one, main flaw in the genre. It's an inherent flaw that can't be helped, but nonetheless, it makes listening to the soundtracks much less enjoyable.

Essentially, the bane of any film soundtrack is the directionless background music that accompanies the duller, more mundane scenes of films.

Take Danny Elfman, for example.

Edward Scissorhands has some beautiful works - most notably Ice Queen and The Grand Finale, but lots of the other material on the disk sounds like redundant, comic filler. And hell, Edward Scissorhands is often cited as his best work. I've also noticed this love for musically unstimulating filler in his soundtracks for Beetlejuice, Batman, Batman Returns, A Civil Action, Instinct, and ESPECIALLY Men in Black and Men in Black II.

One example of this that I really couldn't stand was John William's music for the early Tatoonie scenes of A New Hope. Accompanying the film, the music is fine. But on its own, the music is sooooo redundant and driveless that it tests my nerves.

Zimmer's two Pirates of the Caribbean soundtracks also had this problem. Each soundtrack had some excellent key cuts, but each soundtrack was also plagued by all the accompanying filler.

Perhaps the worst case of this was John William's Jurassic Park. Not "worst" in the sense that it was the most droning and redundant, but worst in the sense that it had such beautiful themes, that it's a shame that the whole soundtrack doesn't live up to them.

HOWEVER, I have found some soundtracks that keep me pleasantly entertained throughout their entire duration, or at least with only a few unmemorable cuts. William's soundtrack for The Empire Strikes Back is absolutely beautiful, and there's only a bit of Hoth music to detract from it. Klaus Badelt's Curse of the Black Pearl soundtrack was a more-or-less satisfying listen throughout its entirety. Elfman's soundtracks that included songs - The Nightmare Before Christmas, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and Corpse Bride - all are enjoyable for more or less all the way through. His soundtrack for Pee Wee's Big Adventure (fully orchestral) was very successful at maintaining an enjoyable flow of music throughout its duration; it's just too bad its duration was so short. Zimmer's Gladiator soundtrack is meanwhile an intensely powerful and compelling listen throughout its entirety.

That said, here are my favorite orchestral soundtrack cuts:

Danny Elfman
Breakfast Machine, from Pee Wee's Big Adventure (insanely energetic, headbanger's dream)
Main Title, from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (fucking rocks, so powerful)
The Boat Arrives, from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (fucking epic!)
End Credits Part 2, from Corpse Bride (as well as all the other great New-Orleans-style-jazz tracks)
The Birth of the Penguin, from Batman Returns (SOOOOO slick! Pure ear candy!)
Main Titles, from Beetlejuice (the piece that started it all for me; my love for this piece exceeded all else)
Introduction (Titles), from Edward Scissorhands (playful, fairytale tune, lovely)
Ice Dance, from Edward Scissorhands (absolutely beautiful and ethereal, a must listen)
The Grand Finale, from Edward Scissorhands (more of the Ice Dance beauty! Also a must listen!)

Ennio Morricone
A Fistfull of Dollars, from A Fistfull of Dollars (timeless)
For A Few Dollars More, from For A Few Dollars More (beautifully inspiring melody)
The Good, The Bad And The Ugly, from The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (duh!)
The Mission, from The Mission (great, and powerful)

Hans Zimmer
Treasure Island, from Muppet Treasure Island (awesome hidden gem! And so is the whole soundtrack!)
Whole Gladiator soundtrack (I just view it as one full, cohesive piece)
The Kraken, from Dead Man's Chest (massive, epic, mammoth, and really, really big)
I See Dead People in Boats, from At World's End (passionately beautiful, I first listened to this on shuffle without knowing who it was by, and when I looked at the artist, I was stunned)

John Williams
All the renditions of Hedwig's Theme, from the Harry Potter movies (love the swirling strings)
All the renditions of The Imperial March, from the Star Wars movies (well, duh!)
The Rebel Fleet, from The Empire Strikes Back (beautiful, sounds like a fitting ode to Tchaikovsky)
Some Ewok track, from Return of the Jedi (don't remember its title, but it's an insanely fun ethnic track)
The piano theme, from Jurassic Park (I don't recall which specific track, but it's absolutely beautiful, and it has a deep place in my heart, a place that no other soundtrack music touches, and that few other songs reach)

Klaus Badelt
The whole The Black Pearl soundtrack (everything blends together too well to differentiate the tracks)

Nicholas Hooper
Fireworks, from The Order of the Phoenix (kickass!)

Yep. There are more, but these are the top of the crop.

There are still many soundtracks that I have that I haven't been able to listen to yet, including those of the Indiana Jones trilogy and Jaws. Others I don't have yet but might consider getting are the LoTR and ET soundtracks, as well as material by composers Goldsmith and Bernstein.

Oh, and sorry, but Schindler's List (the soundtrack) doesn't do much for me. -_-

And crap. I just made another hour-long post. I told myself I wouldn't do that anymore. ><
Last edited by yawn at Oct 5, 2007,
Goblin is awesome!
Quote by pimpinazndude
^ wut he said

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
How about the Pi soundtrack its really weird. its like the requiem for a dream ost but more electronic. it gets some really good artists on it aswell like orbital, autechre, aphex twin.
Quote by BadgeMan
Goblin is awesome!

Yes!

I'm so fed up with generic orchestra scores.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Anyone seen Stardust (think that's what it was called, Fantasy/comedy/fairy tale with a Ricky Gervais cameo)?

I remember thinking it had a nice soundtrack whilst watching it.

/random procrastinating post.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Wow, what a noob. I totally forgot about this thread.

Yawn: I agree with most of those that you've mentioned. Well, the ones I've heard.

And I've heard great things about the Motorcycle Diaries soundtrack and the movie itself. I'll have to see it.

A movie that I've seen recently is "Rescue Dawn", its got Christian Bale in it and the score was great. I really loved this simple piano theme in it. I'll have to look into the composer.

^I heard that Stardust was awful Frenchy
<//////>~
Last edited by myself101 at Jan 28, 2008,
Quote by radio_schizo
Ah man I forgot Gustavo Santaolalla. He did the soundtrack for The Motorcycle Diaries http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=111419027

I seriously need to get one of his cd's. I love this stuff

Word, Brokeback Mountain's Soundtrack is amazing. "Wings" sounds so incredible. Too bad it is so short but easy as hell to play.

I just watched "Juno" as well. Not a bad song in the whole movie. Just great folk.

I also just saw "Into the Wild" Eddie Vedder is brilliant. I got the sound track a bit before the movie but it goes so well with it.
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
Everything by Nicola Piovani.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
I'm trying to get the soundtrack from a film called Netherworld. I've only heard one song from it, which is David Bryan's "Netherworld Waltz." If the rest of the soundtrack is anything like that, it's amazing.

(I've heard the film sucks though)
Soundtrack to Sweeney Todd was fantastic, considering buying it.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Anyone a fan of Wes Anderson movies here?

All his movies have awesome soundtracks with an original score from Mark Mothersbaugh and filled with some great songs from bands like The Kinks, John Lennon etc...

His latest, The Darjeeling Limited is set in India and has a cool Indian score running throughout, along with some more from the Kinks and other cool songs.
<//////>~
Quote by Broken_Drum
Has anyone heard the score to There Will Be Blood? Is it worth buying?

It's definitely a love it or hate it, just like the movie. I loved the score but I didn't care much for the movie. But you'll have to listen to it in order to form an opinion.

Also, some of my favorite scores include Taxi Driver, Vertigo (Bernard Herrmann rules ), Fargo, and The Conversation (so simple, yet so beautiful and effective). My favorite soundtracks (by this I mean songs not written for the film being used in the film) include The Graduate (Gotta love Simon and Garfunkel), McCabe and Mrs. Miller (Never has a set of songs fit the mood of the film so well as Leonard Cohen's songs in this film), Easy Rider, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and Mean Streets.
Page 1 of 2