Page 1 of 2
This is not one of those vs. to bash the two amps. I just want to know the pros and cons on both amps. What I am asking is basically......

1. Which is louder?

2. Which is least muddy?

3. Which has the best tone for neo-classical (Yngwie), Progressive (Steve Vai), Thrash (metallica, megadeth, testament), and Nu-Metal (Slipknot, Lamb Of God, Mercenary)

4. Which one has the best sound at high volumes?

5. Which amp is more reliable and easier to use?

6. How loud is either amp (altogether at max volume or near max)?

7. Which one is best for an upgrade from a Marshall MG-15CD?

8. Based on my current gear in my sig. (namely the warlock with duncan's SH-6 and Sh-2N, Steve Vai Bad Horsie 1, and a Digitech Metal Master. How would this do? I also have a metal zone that I dont use, and that behringer Vamp that I use just when I need things like chorus and delay.) sound with this amp? Will it sound better than the MG because of the pickups being nice? What should I expect from either one with my current setup?

Any additional comments, or thoughts are welcome and appreciated. Do your best to tell me as much as possible and as indepth as possible. Just dont say things like "Vox is better in every way". Or any of that. I want real solid reasons, and real solid proof. My budget is low its only around 250. I can get either one for 250.
Last edited by ravenrage07 at Jul 14, 2007,
what type of music?

have u checked out cubes yet? can u swing $325 for the cube 60?

you already seem to have alot of pedals. most dont work too well with moddlers. you can trade in a couple pick up the bigger amp and use it;s effects.

are u saying u have a $250 USD budget, cause i thought the bandit cost more than that.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i'd honestly pick the transtube over the 30w vox, the speaker is better in the transtube and i like how much R&D peavey has put into the transtube stuff to get to this point.
The Bandit is 80w so it would be a lot louder, most like be better for high gain music though the vox isn't bad with a OD pedal, and is total SS, not hybrid with a tube so probably more reliable. I'll give the Vox the more tubey sound.. sorry but transtube doesn't compete there. Although if the amp is new then I suspect you've made a mistake since it goes for $385 new at most places like MF, zzsounds etc.
^^^well yeah i think the peavey is about $150 more. i just wouldnt pick that amp over other, close to $400 amps.

maybe im looking at the wrong amp, i dont know.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I know exactly what I was looking at. It was used and the guitar shop guy was selling it for $250. And it seemed 2 work fine. It seemed good. I love metal, shred, hardcore music, and some blues. But mainly need it for 80's metal, thrash, shred, and progressive. I want alot of volume. The most I can get for $250 USD. So should I do Vox or peavey transtube 4 wht i want
I've owned both and the I loved the metal tones I got out of the Bandit more than the Vox. Way more aggressive than the VOX's distortion IMO. I owned a Bandit 8-9 years ago and I could swear the voicing on mine was different than one I heard not long ago. Mine was a silver and black faced and this one was red and black faced. I liked mine better out of the two. It also seems like it was louder than the Vox (didn't compare side by side). It's no where near as versatile as the Vox however. The Vox has a larger variety of tones and does them most of them well. I think the Bandit did one thing and one thing well. Distortion. Judging by your listing of music distortion is what your after and to that I'd vote the Bandit.
The bandit works great.
It's loud, it sounds great for it's price, and it has never broken down on me.
The distortion does metal nicely and is good for all your playing styles.
How would it work well with my guitar. Even if you dont like warlocks just base it on the seymour duncan pickups, bad horsie wah, and metal master pedal
Which is louder bandit transtube 112 or vox ad30vt? Which one has more gain? Which one has more depth?

Would a Boss NS-2 work well with this amp?
Last edited by ravenrage07 at Jul 15, 2007,
Quote by ravenrage07
Which is louder bandit transtube 112 or vox ad30vt? Which one has more gain? Which one has more depth?

Would a Boss NS-2 work well with this amp?

Man I dunno how many people have said this. The bandit is MUCH louder. I am telling you from personal experience because i have one and have played a vox. I have a les paul standard and i hook it up through the bandit with no pedals and just put it on gain channel and it shreds. Very loud, lots of distortion from this amp. You dont even need pedals as far as im concerned.
epiphone les paul standard
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
Quote by liquidknowledg4
Man I dunno how many people have said this. The bandit is MUCH louder. I am telling you from personal experience because i have one and have played a vox. I have a les paul standard and i hook it up through the bandit with no pedals and just put it on gain channel and it shreds. Very loud, lots of distortion from this amp. You dont even need pedals as far as im concerned.

Now that is what I was looking for. A person with big experience, gives me a straight up answer, and good quality. Thanks man, that hit the jackpot 4 me. What about the ns-2 tho?
Quote by ravenrage07
Now that is what I was looking for. A person with big experience, gives me a straight up answer, and good quality. Thanks man, that hit the jackpot 4 me. What about the ns-2 tho?

Im not sure, im guessing thats your distortion pedal. I ran a morley distortion through there once and honestly felt without it sounded better, but it might have just been a crap pedal.
epiphone les paul standard
peavey bandit 112
peavey rage 158
squier stagemaster fr

trueguitarhero
-You don't seem to realize that heaven and hell are just delusions created to control the masses through fear and false promises.
I've got the transtube 110 efx (40 watt) and have never tried the bandit so i'm not sure how close they are, but my next amp will be the Vox AD30VT. Not because I think it's better, but because it sounds different enough (and I like it) to be a great addition to my ever increasing equipment inventory. I like variety and between the transtube and the Vox I think it's going to give me so much more then I already have it will be worth it. If I was starting again and had $600 for an amp I wouldn't get a $600 amp, I'd buy the transtube and the vox and call it a good day and be happy doing it. If your gigging it might be a different story (although my transtube can and will put the hurts to a drum set) for practice i'm more about tone then volume and both amps would be sweet to have. As far as an upgrade from the MG series, as much as i don't like ragging on someone's product (you can usually at least find something good about it) the MG series is really just horrible. When I heard what most of these guys had to say about them i was thinking c'mon guys it can't be that bad, but i've plugged into about 20 different ones of various wattage and frankly the MG series is a vary sad thing for marshall to put their name on.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I have a bandit 112 in my house, I rarely turn it above 4 before it's too loud in here. It's perfect for small gigs though.
1954 Gibson ES-140 Hollowbody Tobacco Burst (all original)
1966 Univox UC-2 (Fender Jag Wannabe) Red Burst
2002 Epiphone G-400 Deluxe Flametop Vintage Burst

Peavey Bandit 112 Amp (for sale, PM me for details)
Digitech GSP-7 Processor/Preamp
Quote by ninjapirate350
I have a bandit 112 in my house, I rarely turn it above 4 before it's too loud in here. It's perfect for small gigs though.

So we have established that the bandit 112 is enough for small gigs and practices with drums. That has given me a whole lot of peace at mind. I wanted something loud enough in case this stuff happens. Its not happening yet but I dont want to have to go out and get another amp because the one I have sucks or is 2 quiet. But I have had some people want me to play solos or my own stuff for party's and whatnot. Where I live making a band is basically impossible. I am going to move to Richmond (virginia), sometime in the future and I wanted an amp that would be able to play over a drummer for then without busting my wallet wide open.

Anyway.... I am going to be using a digitech metal master, Morely bad horsie 1, and possibly a behringer vamp processor. These all, except for the wah, give a good amount of feedback and static. So, will the NS-2 work well for this? I dont have one but I want to buy one.
Quote by ravenrage07
Do I need a Boss NS-2 with this amp?

yea, i have bandit and i would recommend it, and you get some noise from the amp . so it would be nice to have. get the bandit and ns-2 and u should be set for a while.
god bless
my shit>>>>www.myspace.com/buenostudios

BlackHeart BH5-112
Peavey Rage 158
ESP LTD M-200FM
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD EX-260
Dunlop Crybaby F Wah
Aria Phase Shifter
Quote by ravenrage07
I am getting the bandit for sure and an NS-2

good for you, i think you will like a ****load better than your Mg
my shit>>>>www.myspace.com/buenostudios

BlackHeart BH5-112
Peavey Rage 158
ESP LTD M-200FM
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD EX-260
Dunlop Crybaby F Wah
Aria Phase Shifter
Will a Boss NS-2 Help my tone out alot? I mean I dont want a noisy amp. I dont want all of that background static and stuff. So will an NS-2 do it for me? Should I get it on Ebay, i see alot of them on there. Also should I buy the bandit for 250 at the guitar store or take my chances on ebay?
They're not that loud in the background. And the metal master will be overkill, any more gain than the amp itself would kill you.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
The Vox is a tube hybrid with one 12AX7 preamp tube. Don't assume this makes it sound that much more tube-like than a regular solid-state, with this particular amp it does not. The Peavey Transtube is much more tube-like and in addition to it being louder with way better distortion the cleans will surprise you. If you are tempted to get the Vox for the modeling effects try the model up against the real thing and I think you will be very disappointed. Get your effects from good old analog pedals. The Peavey is built like the proverbial tank. There may be others who will disagree with this and that's cool. Its a free world.
as you can see there are people siding with both, and saying each one sounds more tube like than the other. you need your own opinion so just go compare both
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Most certainly try them (and others) for yourself. Even though someone expresses a strong opinion it is still just an opinion from someone you don't even know. I think I will pose as a famous anonymous rock star next time. (joke)
I really like the transtube so i am going to get that. But should I keep the metal master? Also since its tube-lyk (but still SS) would it be okay to use a DOD YJM308 overdrive if it needs just a lil more punch?
Pretty bad advice all around.

Both the amps you're looking at are loud enough for small gigs and practice with drums, but the vox is 30 watts and the transtube 80 watts, transtube will be much louder.

I know from experience though that the vox sounds better cranked, regardless you shouldn't crank either of them.

OUT OF THE TWO amps here, the transtube will serve you better and takes pedals better then the vox. BUT i think you should try out a used Roland Cube 60 (ebay is your friend), which has a better metal distortion and all around better tones then the transtube, it also has built in effects which are better then the Behringer ****, i strongly suggest you try out both of these amps before deciding on one.

I think you should ditch the metal master, its a bad pedal and it won't be helpful in your situation. Last, its not a good idea to use the overdrive, even though it might say "tube" somewhere in the amp description it won't be a good idea to use the overdrive on a distortion channel, it won't push **** but IT WILL sound muddy.
Quote by Chinomaster182
Pretty bad advice all around.

Both the amps you're looking at are loud enough for small gigs and practice with drums, but the vox is 30 watts and the transtube 80 watts, transtube will be much louder.

I know from experience though that the vox sounds better cranked, regardless you shouldn't crank either of them.

OUT OF THE TWO amps here, the transtube will serve you better and takes pedals better then the vox. BUT i think you should try out a used Roland Cube 60 (ebay is your friend), which has a better metal distortion and all around better tones then the transtube, it also has built in effects which are better then the Behringer ****, i strongly suggest you try out both of these amps before deciding on one.

I think you should ditch the metal master, its a bad pedal and it won't be helpful in your situation. Last, its not a good idea to use the overdrive, even though it might say "tube" somewhere in the amp description it won't be a good idea to use the overdrive on a distortion channel, it won't push **** but IT WILL sound muddy.

Thnx 4 that. I like the transtube a lot. I am getting it so I should ditch most of the pedals, get this new amp, and get a good distortion pedal or something?

All together I would sell on ebay or trade it (either way) the Marshall MG-15, Fender Frontman 15G, Crate GX-15, DOD YJM308 (with adaptor), Metal Master w/ adaptor, and Metal Zone. What would all of that get me?
Well lets say you get 250 out of that...

Best most sensible thing would be sell all those stuff on ebay, get it together with the other 250 and bam, with 500 you're in metal tube amp territory.

With that amount of cash i suggest you get a B-52 AT 112 combo (the 50 watt one) which will be ear piercing loud and will get much better metal tones then the transtube.

another great option would be a randall rg50tc

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197

Great metal tones (look for used).

If you don't like my idea of using those 500 then the next best option would be thinking about a specific effect you might want (chorus, tremolo, delay) and getting one good pedal, if you don't seem too be lacking on any effect then i suggest you save that money for another amp in the future, theres not really anything great you can buy with those 250.
I have been seeing alot of peavey bandits on ebay. The problem is are they all the same amp? They all say Peavey Bandit 112. But some have different colored fronts. Some have grey, some have red, and one had blue. I mean are some not transtube, or are they different or what?
Nevermind on that last post....

Anyway what is better. Peavey Bandit or Vox Valvetronix? Or any other suggestions for an amp thats loud for under 300 on ebay.
Quote by ravenrage07
Nevermind on that last post....

Anyway what is better. Peavey Bandit or Vox Valvetronix? Or any other suggestions for an amp thats loud for under 300 on ebay.

I personally tried the Cube 60 side by side to the Bandit and I picked Bandit. It has plenty of gain for what you want without any of the pedals. I have never, I repeat never needed to crank it above 3 even when practicing really loud with a friend who I think has damaged hearing lol.

I have only one problem with the amp and that's that it's a very bassy low frequency beast. It can do lead stuff alright but that's not where it shines. I'm hoping to clear this problem with an EQ pedal. But even without it; it's a wonderful amp for the price and I tried out quite a few amps in the price range.
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
Quote by UrzasJ00rMom
I personally tried the Cube 60 side by side to the Bandit and I picked Bandit. It has plenty of gain for what you want without any of the pedals. I have never, I repeat never needed to crank it above 3 even when practicing really loud with a friend who I think has damaged hearing lol.

I have only one problem with the amp and that's that it's a very bassy low frequency beast. It can do lead stuff alright but that's not where it shines. I'm hoping to clear this problem with an EQ pedal. But even without it; it's a wonderful amp for the price and I tried out quite a few amps in the price range.

No offense to you Cube people. But I say the bandit is better anyday. Soley because of that video that Johnny Demarco did for cube 60. he ruined it for me completely. His playing was good but the amp was terrible and I hate the way he talks and acts. Anyway i will probably go bandit.
I have the older Bandit 112 Transtube and it has a really crunch tone on the gain channel. But it seems a bit harsh when driving it with distortion pedals.
Go with the bandit, ive played the newer Studio Pro, and i think theyre meant to be identical to the Bandit, except the SP is 65w and the Bandit is 80(not much difference). Anyway, the SP has a really good bassy tone, not thin or anything, the clean channel is excellent, and the distortion has 3 modes, and sounds really good, shouldnt need any additional pedals. The only bad things ive heard is the speaker isnt the greatest, but that can be swapped out down the track. Peaveys are also very reliable, and ive heard reliability problems with the Vox VT amps.

Ive also never played the Vox, but i can say that the Peavey is the way to go.

And finally, and most importantly, dont just go by what everyone on here tells you, whats great to some isnt so great to others. Everyone has different tastes, and the only way to get something right for you is to try things before buying. Also, check out the Carvin SX amps, i have one and it has an amazing clean, and the OD is great when cranked up (strange for a SS amp), but mine has a lot of reliability problems, i think i got a lemon, but i have a Laney TF head and cab, but like my Carvin much more when it works. hope i helped.
Last edited by DeadMansCurve at Jul 29, 2007,
Out of curiousity, between a Roland Cube 60 and a Peavey Bandit 112 which would everyone recommend? I play blues, rock and love David Gilmour, Dire Straits, Robin Trower, Yngwie Malmsteen, but not into death metal...I seriously need help!!
Quote by strataminor
Out of curiousity, between a Roland Cube 60 and a Peavey Bandit 112 which would everyone recommend? I play blues, rock and love David Gilmour, Dire Straits, Robin Trower, Yngwie Malmsteen, but not into death metal...I seriously need help!!

I just bought the bandit not to long ago. It is awesome for absolutely any style. Just mess with the knobs. Trust me man. It has 3 different settings for distortion, just a lil switch (Vintage - Blues, 60-70's rock, Hendrix), then the modern setting is more like the heavy marshall sound, like a super revved up JCM800 (very good crunch even with gain all the way up), then the Hi-gain (which i dont use) is for like a boost to solos with a mid style boost. It also has a nice T-Dynamics thing that makes it not break up at high volumes and makes it sound nice and full. Another great thing about it is that it has a low gain and high gain input. I love this because, it will help you control noise more. If you dont mind a lil bit of noise for super heavy stuff you can get high-gain. But for nice smooth heavy stuff without alot of noise (but a lil less gain) you have the low gain channel. The knobs are extremely responsive, the volume is well enough for at least a medium gig. The clean channel is very nice with a vintage and modern switch (vintage gives you that old vox twangy clean, and modern is nice and warm). You dont need any distortion pedals with this EVER! the sound of the distortion is perfect. You barely have to mess with the knobs. It's extremely reliable. Its the best amp I have ever played in my whole life to put it simply. Its nice and clear if you keep the gain at a moderate setting. You can put it on 6 and get that super heavy sound, just with less noise. Get one dude.
Page 1 of 2