I recently got a new amp, a B-52 At 1 x 12 and I like the tone, but the bass is flabby which is not good for what I am playing (higher gain stuff). I read on a Harmony Central review that replacing the stock speaker in this amp will tighten up the bass and give the amp better tone. I was looking to get some confirmation on this because I am considering buying something like a Celestion V 30 speaker to replace the stock speaker.
12 fret fury
yeah, the Celestion V30 has a nice tight lower-end and it handles gain very well, making it very good for metal tones- when pushed they also sound quite br00tal
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
there are tons of speakers to choose from. make sure u get the one best suited for u.

i highly recommend speaker changes on so-so amps. ive swapped out a few now and ive been really satisfied with the results.

the v30 is fine.

i decided to go with weber speakers for my last two speaker upgrades. check them out too. they can answer all ur questions.

https://taweber.powweb.com/weber/

if ur on a budget, eminence also makes really nice affordable speakers.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Nothing wrong with a good speaker upgrade but I would advise you to wait a while and break that new speaker in (about 100 hours playing time at reasonable volume.) It may surprise or you may still want to upgrade. I wouldn't get in a hurry. That amp is brand-new. It needs burn-in and speaker break-in. If you buy a new speaker then you will still have to break it in too. There are some that don't believe in speaker break-in. I have had quite a lot of experience and to me a broken-in speaker sounds at least 10% better. Again that may not be good enough.
But will breaking a speaker in give it better bass response because that's my number one priority.
12 fret fury
Breaking in a speaker will make it sound it's best- it's like cranking a valve amp, but once you've cranked it, the tone stays like that 24/7
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Punk Poser
But will breaking a speaker in give it better bass response because that's my number one priority.

Some speakers get better mids when broken in, some get more present highs, some get flabbier, some get tighter, it's really dependent on the speaker. You've got to break it in yourself to find out.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
How much power handling do you need?

I'd go ahead and change out the speaker, B-52's speakers aren't much worth writing home about. They do build great cabs though (the actual cab, not the speakers).

I'd highly recommend a V-30 or GT12-75.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
^ their cabs are loaded with v30's though. (not the lg series ones)
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
^ their cabs are loaded with v30's though. (not the lg series ones)

They're B-52 speakers unless they specifically say V-30 loaded.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Yeah, mine has the B-52 speaker in it. Also thanks for that reply Reincaster. I bought this amp of the floor so it already has a few hours of being played, but I'll play the amp for some more time to see if breaking in the speaker gives me better tone. Also I need a 60 watt power handling.
12 fret fury
Last edited by Punk Poser at Jul 16, 2007,