Hey guys im looking for a small 5 watt tube amp that can get me close to the sound im after for my room. I need something that has great cleans for my jack johnson,ben harper type stuff, but at the same time I can push with a pedal to get a thrashy type sound. And well after looking for days ive found the fender champion 600 reissue which has 2 inputs 1 high 1 low and a master volume and thats it. And ive heard alot of people say that you should replace the 6' stock speaker and tubes which wouldnt be a problem but could you suggest me some speakers and tubes that would get the sound im after. Or theres always the epi valve jr. which is I dont really know a whole lot about so if someone could edcuate me there that would be great as well. Or if there are any other small 5 watters out there that i dont know of feel free to suggest them. But right now it looks like its going to be
a)fender champ 600 ri with new speaker and tubes
b)epi valve jr. with whatever we all decide it needs to get what im after
A champion 600 won't get you "thrash" sounds on it's own. You'll need some sort of multi-effects processor/modeler which will bypass any natural tube tone you'll get
the epi wont either, ull want pedals especailly at lower volumes. its a nice 5 watt head, extra low end.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
The Crate V8

Best 5W amp on the market, for the price, IMHO. It was selling for $270 last year, but they edged the price down to $200 to match the Champ. For the same money, you get a much sturdier constructed amp, a 10" speaker (Celestion, if that means anything), and master, gain, and tone controls.

Plus it really does sound great. Unlike those others, it will do some thrash on it's own.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
mesa express 5:25 har har har kidding

but yeah go check out the crate palomino, great amps ^^
Failure is a far greater teacher than success.
Unified

Gear:
Schecter C-1
Peavey Classic 30
Roland Cube 30
DD-3
Ibanez WD-7
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive
You're not really going to get any pristine sort of cleans with a low wattage amp. But the crate is a good sounding option. If you want thrash, maybe check out the windsor combo is it ever comes out. It's supposed to be like the head. I don't think it's possible to get jack johnson cleans, because he plays an acoustic, and it's pretty hard to replicate that on an electric.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
the crate does look like a good option but man you cant find one anywhere on the internet that isnt new. 200 isnt a bad deal but itd be nice if I could find one second hand...
^ Like I said, last year they were selling for $270, so they probably didn't move a lot of them. And for anyone who bought one, it's probably not worth it to sell at this point.

You'll probably see more Epi VJ's than anything, because they just upped their price. I could probably get what I paid for mine.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
The ultimate mini amp is the JSX Mini Colossal. If you've got the money, it's the best 5W amp out there. But I doubt you want to shell out that much on an amp, so I'm just gonna back up Slats on the Palomino V8.
^Not really. Single channel and tremolo? It sounds good, but impractical for cleans, especially with the self adjusting wattage that will probably kill your headroom.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
ooo im glad i stumbled across this topic,i might pick up one of those Crate's...playing my 120watt Craft GFX in my 1 bedroom apartment sucks because the volume on it has to be like 1 or its to loud..so i know im missing out on some tone with it like that..5watt should be able to get cranked up a bit more to get a better tone without blowing people away