Hey guys, I'm a new user here and I am looking for some help in buying a new amp. I have been playing for about a year now and I've been taking it pretty seriously so I need to get rid of this horrid Fender Frontman 15 watter.

I've done alot of research and I've even gone through alot of the threads but I just want to be a smart shopper and absolutely sure of my purchase! I'm looking at a budget of around 400$ and I have looked at the Roland Cube 60, Vox AD50VT, Crate GLX212, and the Peavey Valveking. I am playing with an Ibanez RG370DX guitar.

I guess my main question comes from the fact that I really enjoy playing a variety of music, from blues to metal. I am a really big fan of steve vai and satriani too and I hope to become skilled enough to play this kind of music. I am wondering which of these amps is best suited to encompass all these areas of music (in other words i'd rather have an amp that does a good job in all of these areas but not especially good in one area and lacking in another). I have played most of the amps mentioned and being new at the guitar I have a little trouble distinguishing which one is more versatile. Maybe there is even another amp I havent looked at in this price range? Thanks for the help
the vox or the valve king
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
also, any idea on which one of these might fit best with the guitar?
Quote by SCnutty
I am wondering which of these amps is best suited to encompass all these areas of music (in other words i'd rather have an amp that does a good job in all of these areas but not especially good in one area and lacking in another).

You're not going to find an amp that does everything, especially on a limited budget. The ones that claim to -the modelers- will get you close to a lot of different tones, but be lacking whenever they're matched up against a real tube amp.

I'd suggest you look used. Maybe find something like the Peavey Classic 30 (you should be able to find one under $400, and maybe even closer to $300). It's a good jack-of-all-trades tube amp, and a much nicer sounding amp than it's Chinese step-brother, the Valveking. Take the money you saved and invest in a nice OD pedal for your metal work.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
thank you slats! i will look into that. one more question.. I will be living in a house with six other people with no gaurantees of the walls being very sound proof. would a tube amp be too loud for this kind of situation? because i've heard tubes need to be played at a reasonably high volume to sound the best
if you're not going to be playing shows or gigging, just go ahead and get a smaller wattage tube amp. it will generally have the best tone, because you can turn it up higher w/o it being deafening and pissing off your roommates.
They sound BEST when cranked, but that doesn't mean they sound bad at lower volumes. If you need an amp to gig with, go with a 30 watter. If you just need it for around the house, you could look into a 5W amp, or maybe a Vox AD30VT.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
They sound BEST when cranked, but that doesn't mean they sound bad at lower volumes. If you need an amp to gig with, go with a 30 watter. If you just need it for around the house, you could look into a 5W amp, or maybe a Vox AD30VT.

+1
so if you had to pick between every solid state option you'd pick the vox over anything in my situation?
i wouldn't pick a solid state option.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by SCnutty
so if you had to pick between every solid state option you'd pick the vox over anything in my situation?

Yeah but...

Quote by ECistheBest
i wouldn't pick a solid state option.

Me, neither.

I'd be scouring my local Craig's List, pawn shops, eBay, etc., to try and find the best deal on a nice used tube combo instead.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
thanks for the help.. i know that tube is the way to go.. but i get this feeling that solid states are more user friendly, require less maintenance, and are more reliable. plus i'm a beginner so these things matter. i'll definetly keep my eye out for good tube combo deals however
Quote by SCnutty
thanks for the help.. i know that tube is the way to go.. but i get this feeling that solid states are more user friendly, require less maintenance, and are more reliable. plus i'm a beginner so these things matter. i'll definetly keep my eye out for good tube combo deals however

Tubes are not really a hassle, you take it to a shop once every what, 2-4 years for a retube? Also, there very durable. If something goes wrong on a solid state, it could be a number of things, if something happens on a tube amp, its probly simply a tube, unless you really fry it. Plus the solid state will have alot more of a volume restriction. Sure, you can turn it up loud, but it will sound like ****. Even a cranked valve junior will give you great tone at lower volumes, but its not to savvy on the heavy distortion.
^tube amps mounted on pcb's can be just as problematic to pinpoint the culprit as solid state amps. But yes, they have cheaper and easier to replace components, excluding the tubes and OT.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by SCnutty
i know that tube is the way to go.. but i get this feeling that solid states are more user friendly, require less maintenance, and are more reliable. plus i'm a beginner so these things matter. i'll definetly keep my eye out for good tube combo deals however

Buy your amp out of love, not fear.

You could find a 30W tube combo today with the potential to be your main amp for the rest of your life. Doesn't have to be, but it could. While a SS combo will be purchased knowing full well that you plan to replace it someday. And if you know that already, it'll probably be someday soon.

And when the day comes, a tube combo will also hold it's value much better than a SS amp. If you buy a second hand Classic 30 today, you could probably sell it for what you paid two years from now. Meanwhile, the Valvetronix'll be worth less than half your cost.

All because you're a little concerned about swapping out tubes every couple years... ?

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
For the amount you will be spending buying one of the amps you are looking at new, check on craigslist and odds are you will find something alot better for the same price if not cheaper.

But if you are set on one of those, i would go for the Vox.
You are getting very good advice here. I would take it seriously, even though you obviously have to try out amps.