hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how I could increase sustain without popping up the distortion? Tone wise I'm going for a kind of creamy and smooth hi end and rough loud low end for power chords mostly. But I don't want to use too much distortion to achieve this... any thoughts???
ps my gear is an epi LP custom, a marshall mg-15 and i have a ds-1 pedal with an me-50 effects board.
Get a compressor/sustainer pedal. That'll help the most.

Uh, practice fingering on an acoustic for a long time, after that you'll fret harder and your notes will hold better on an electric?
a ten band eq will allow you to boost the desired frequencies affecting sustain, while not needing to increase the distortion
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Actually, EQs of any sort come in many different amounts of bands.

Some are pedals, some are rack-mount, some are on your amp.

Actually, you can get really complicated EQs, up to like, 64 bands I think... but that just becomes complicated to the point of stupidity.
Quote by aleister
Actually, EQs of any sort come in many different amounts of bands.

Some are pedals, some are rack-mount, some are on your amp.

Actually, you can get really complicated EQs, up to like, 64 bands I think... but that just becomes complicated to the point of stupidity.

I was thinking of the mxr 10 band eq graphic equalizer pedal. 18 volts comes with adapter for around(list price $200 but you can get it for cheaper) or it's little brother, the
6 band eq
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join
thanks for the info guys... I got another question about tone this time, when your trying to mimic someones sound, where do you start? Like if your trying to get jimmy page tone, how would u go about doing it with a effect board? Do you start by adding the distortion, then effects, then adjusting? I love the me-50, but its kind of overwhelming lol. I know in my head the kind of tones i want to produce, but no clue what effects to use or kind of distortion to achieve them... any thoughts?
^ Start off by listening and analyzing their sound
I wouldn't start with getting their gear.

ie.
how bassy? how full is the tone? how might high end is there? How much gain is there?
Twiddle the EQ around a bit
You should get a general shape of the tone

Well you can never emulate one's true tone unless you get exact gear or somethign really close.
But, EQ would be a good place to start.