hey im looking to buy a mixer to use for recording. im mainly recording guitar, vocals, and maybe some bass. im looking to try to spend no more than around $150. i like the beringer and peavey mixers but idk what to get really does anybody have a suggestion, either which of these to should i buy or if there is a better one for the price range let me know!
assuming you have an audio card already I suggest a Yamaha mixer, they make some great audio recording gear for home use.

I have a Yamaha MG 10/2 that I got for $100 new, its great and you could probably get one on ebay for cheap. Or if you want a compressor the new MG mixers have that for a little more money.

The MG mixers have an RCA record out so its easy to run to a card like the M-audio 2496.

If you don't have any interface or any card on your computer go with a USB mixer like the Yamaha Darkshade666 posted.
yeah i have a m-audio moble pre usb interface that i would run the mixer into to record onto the computer so one of those yamaha ones sounds like it might be worth looking into...if anyone else has any more advice or info please let me know!!
I recommended the Yamaha USB mixer, thinking that you don't have a USB interface. If you do have one, just buy a standard mixer, you'll save up to 60 $. www.zzounds.com have cool deals on mixers by the way.
yeah i have an m audio usb interface that i already use to record with so i really dont think i need a usb mixer...anybody else got any ideas on anything else to buy
Quote by ccatrackstar
yeah i have an m audio usb interface that i already use to record with so i really dont think i need a usb mixer...anybody else got any ideas on anything else to buy

Then I suggest this http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMMG102C
It's really simple if this is your first time using mixers, it doesn't hum, and for 130 $ you can't go wrong.
have a good look between the MG 10/2 and MG 10/2C mixers, I prefer the older 10/2 because of the better, larger audio meter which is important to keep an eye on when recording.

All of the yamaha MG mixers are great to start recording with. I've had mine for about 15 months now and I still use it every day.

You can't go wrong with a name like Yamaha.
You do not need a mixer for what you are doing - recording single instruments. Save your cash, and get a nice audio interface. A mixer WILL NOT improve the quality of your recordings - in fact it will probably take away from it.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

ha i dont see how that makes sense but im trying to record a couple of things at one time not just single instruments
for recording two or more instruments at the same time you will need a mixer, only single instruments can be done without the mixer.

plus they are nice to have if you ever want to mic a drum set or something like that and want to mix it down to stereo.
yeah im really interested in recording guitar and vocals at the same time and depending on who's over at my house i may record another guitar and a bass guitar at the same time as the other stuff too
Quote by ccatrackstar
yeah im really interested in recording guitar and vocals at the same time and depending on who's over at my house i may record another guitar and a bass guitar at the same time as the other stuff too

Then my dear friend you need the mixer.
i use the behringer xenyx 1204 fx, comes with a bunch of effects and has really brought a new professional sound to my recordings, usb, mic premps...around your budget aswell. take a listen of the recordings on my dmusic account for an idea of the quality you'll get.
audiorapist i like you songs and the quality sounds really good, id like to compare the sound of that with the sound of stuff recorded with a yamaha mixer
Ok I hate to sound like a prick, but recording more than one instrument at a time is typically not the best way to do it. When singing and playing guitar you need to make sure you are hitting all your notes on guitar and that whilst doing that your singing isn't going all over the place - not an optimal situation. It almost always works best to first record guitar, and then when you have gotten your guitar part right, then record the vocals overtop it - thus allowing you to only have to concentrate on one thing and at a time and making it much easier to get both parts right. With this technique you will not need a mixer.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

ha not to sound like a prick either but ive been playing live for quite awhile because i thought it was best to play for awhie before you tried to focus on recording a good record and i play guitar and sing at the same time everytime i play live so im used to doing both at the same time, thats basically what any singer who plays guitar does!
I still hold that you will be able to sing better and with more force/accuracy without having to strum a guitar at the same time. But differences aside - you do know that an audio interface will allow you to sing and play guitar at the same time, and allows you to reocord those two sounds to seperate tracks in real time. However, it differs from a mixer in that it will let you fix individual parts of your recording.

For instance, if you hit a bad note on the guitar at the intro to the chorus, you can go back and re-record just that little guitar part - something you can not do with a mixer as your singing and guitar would be blended into one track. If you record to seperate tracks (even at the same time), you can go back and edit later. A mixer only lets you record more than one instrument to one track - which does not let you got back and edit individual parts.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

yeah i just dont really like the quality of recording straight into my intercace i need somethin with good compresion and volume leveling controls like a mixer to help round out my sound i think
^A mixer will not do any of those - in fact it will only hurt your sound quality as it will pick up some extra floor noise. Get a GOOD interface (like an Mackie Onyx Satellite), and some decent software for compression and other effects (the Onyx Satellite comes with nice software) and you will be set.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

im using a mac so i need software thats mac compatible ive been just using garage band
Ok well the Satellite comes with Tracktion - so either use that or Garageband (but read up on it as it is much more powerful than most people assume - if you dig deep enough you can get some really good stuff out of it).

The two upgrades that will make the most difference however, are your interface and your mic. What mic are using? For what you are doing I would probably recommend a Shure SM57 - coupled with the Onyx Satellite (and a lot of knowledge) you will prepared to make some very good quality demos.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call