...to be able to fluently play guitar and sing at the same time?

I've seen a couple of posts on here from people who needed help on how to do it and was just wondering how long it took everyone.

When I learnt my first tab (Dammit by Blink 182 ha) I could sing and play without any problems. Which was weird because I could never sing and play keyboard at the same time and I apparently have no rhythm
about 3 months from when i started trying, after 9 months of playing. of course paranoid by black sabbath is a different matter....that's ludicrously easy to sing over
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
I played guitar for nearly three years before I ever even started trying. It took me a couple of days before I could do it. The only problem for me is when the singing melody is completly different to the guitar melody, for example I can sing & play Hey Joe much easier than I bet you look good on the dancefloor. Hey Joe's harder to play but the melodies are pretty much the same as opposed to the other one whose title I can't be bothered writing out again.
I havnt really tried, but i think you have to know the song without thinking and singing comes after, i can kinda sing fo softer songs like never too late - 3DG

Made by 'The Sloganizer' ----> «The Pit - be prepared.»

Quote by imdeth

"Billy eat your broccolli!"

"Screw you mom!" *raises arms*

PHEAR MA TURRETS!!
the only song i can sing while playing is wouldnt it be nice to have a blowjob by blink182 lol simple yet interesting to sing to friends

I've tried singing while playing but can only get through the intro before i mess up and i cant strum while i try cuz i forget how im strumming so i end up just goin up down up down up down
ive been playing for almost 10 years, and i still cant really sing and play at the same time. i havent tried much, but im not that well either.
Quote by .smudged.
Sex is overrated, try World of Warcraft.
Haha, this is something I wish I can do / learn to do in the future. However, I'm a beginner at the guitar, and my singing sucks so...
I was always able to.

The first song I ever learned was "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd and I was able to get the whole song down in two weeks. It's easier for some people, harder for others.
Quote by Jim Morrison
Indians scattered on Dawn's highway bleeding, Ghosts crown the young child's fragile eggshell mind
It's all relative to the songs you're singing. Older Sabbath songs Ozzy sung with the guitar so they're bound to be easier to play than say...Zeppelin?

As always, practice makes perfect! You shouldn't measure up your progress against others as you are YOU and not them!
hah, the first FULL song i learned to play was 'hey there delilah' by plain white T's about a month ago. Its incredibly easy song to play and sing over, oh and whenever i try to recite a song and play at the same time it seems that either i play too fast or i sing too fast. just can't get it right >.<
I'm singing About a Girl by Nirvana right now, after about 5-6 months of serious playing.
ESP: LTD EC-50
Crate GTD65 Amp
RP80 Modeling Guitar Processor

Jack White:
If you think holdin' hands is all in the fingers
Grab a hold of the soul where the memory lingers.
I was able to do it really quickly. I always wanted to do the whole singer/rhythm guitarist thing, so I just practiced all the time and it came to me soon enough.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
I've been playing for about a month and I've been able to sing and play at the same time just fine.
I never really try cos I cant sing/haven't foundmy singing voice but i can still do it, I can do Ska (well Rell Big Fish) while singing and i can do Down to Mexico by paul gilbert as long as the strumming doesnt stray to far from the rythm of singing then I can do it, I've tried on and off since i started, i've been play a year and a half.
Just practice the guitar part to the point where you dont need to pay attention to what your fingers are doing, they just kinda do it themselves. Then learn the lyrics the same way. Add them together and it should work. I suck at singing, but doing each part separately helped me with sum 41 songs.
My second or third try or so. I practiced with this easy coldplay song, after a while I didn't think about singing or playing much and it just worked.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I try to play my songs while watching TV. This way its like second nature and ya don't have to think about playing and can focus on singin.
I always thought that it was just something you could either do or can't, like rolling your tongue or moving your ears or something like that.
But anyone can roll their tongue, or move their ears. Just takes PRACTICE
ESP: LTD EC-50
Crate GTD65 Amp
RP80 Modeling Guitar Processor

Jack White:
If you think holdin' hands is all in the fingers
Grab a hold of the soul where the memory lingers.
Actually, no.

It's a genetic trait that's based on the construction of your tongue.
Quote by Jim Morrison
Indians scattered on Dawn's highway bleeding, Ghosts crown the young child's fragile eggshell mind
Took me quite a bit to get the hang of playing and singing simultaneously. I can only do it with a few songs, none of which are my own as I don't have lyrics to anything of mine. Mostly I can sing and play most Metallica songs, a few Alice In Chains...basically if the riff goes along with the vocals it's pretty easy for me after I get the hang of it.
i can't do it still, i can sing n play st anger by metallica, but that's simple coz it's only really singing at same notes of eigths and the slow clean bit.
"All my life" by the foo fighters, that's impossible to sing the intro and the 3 palm mutes at the same time, the second i do the first palm mute i stop singing..
Learning scales?
I've got: (tabbed in pro)
Major Scale, Pentatonic Major Scale
well, if it's just a bunch of chords or whatever then i don't really have that much of a problem, if i'ts alternatng picking and scales and **** then it's ussually harder (dur)
Some songs are a lot easier to sing and play at the same time. Wild Thing by the Troggs for example is so simple that you should be able to sing while playing it. It might be best to look for songs where the singer is actually playing guitar as well as this suggests it might be easier. I think that "Jesus of Suburbia" is pretty easy to sing along to despite its length. Its even easier if you just use simple strumming patterns.
Its actually really easy. everyone can do it if you do it PROPERLY. what you have to do is practise the guitar part SOOOOO much, that it gets drummed into ur head. so u can play it with out thinking about it. then u just sing over the top. its that simple
Quote by bpf3991
im paranoid of my keyboard now...little men are watching me
I can sing and play Nothing Else Matters, but easier songs like Daughters, clarity of John Mayer, i can't yet.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
its my dream to be able to play and sing nothing else matters
Gear: ESP MH250 NT
ESP EX400 ow
Ashton Dualler

Marshall MG50DFX

Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
EHX metal muff
Quote by gloryindeath
I'm singing About a Girl by Nirvana right now, after about 5-6 months of serious playing.

same here
Quote by JamieB
Because all TRUE GUITARISTS know what PLUGINCHILD looks like, DUUUUH!

I want it now, and i want you NOW! give me your heart and your soul!
Er, right off the bat. Guitar is the first instrument I've played while I've been singing for fun at a young age.
Don't be afraid to cheat either - there's nothing wrong with altering the rhythm part for the purpose of improving the live performance. If it's a bit fiddly maybe just reduce it down to single chords while your singing, then play it correctly when you aren't.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Small Print
I always thought that it was just something you could either do or can't, like rolling your tongue or moving your ears or something like that.

You forgot to mention licking your elbows, and yes I know a girl who can lick her own elbows!
It's different for every song with me, it really depends on the rhythm of the song. Most chorded songs I can sing, if the rhythm isn't crazy. There's something about playing a melody and singing at the same time, I can't always get it, but once in a while I can.
I like my guitars like I like my women, with fat bottoms.
it helps if you know the song on the guitar inside and out, and then you should know the lyrics well too. then just practice it together. the first time i tried to sing and play a song was trying to do sanitarium by metallica, and i failed miserably. just learn the song all the way through. then learn the lyrics and put them together. if you cant do it at full speed then slow your playing down and sing over it at the same time then each time you get it speed it up a bit. youll have it in no time.
ibanez rg 550
epiphone standard lp
martin dcx1e
custom tube amp
boss ds 1
dunlop cry baby wah
boss mt 2
boss tu2

Member #3 of the Ibanez RG Owners of the World club. PM user rockownsyou to join