Yes I've had it with the V30. It's way too modern for me, with it's ear piercing highs and IMO "muddy" mids. I need a new speaker.

I want a nice vintage sounding speaker. I want it to be smooth, but prefferably to have some bite, but not to scream or pierce and not to biteing. I dont want it to be too loud and work good on lower volumes and prefferably to get some nice breakup. I've been thinking about getting an AlNiCo speaker and I think it would match well with the Orange.

Alternatives:
Celestion G12-25M Greenback: I have tried these (not with the Orange though) and I really like them. Problem is that it's only rated for 25 watts and even though it's consverativly rated, I'm scared it won't take the Orange.
Celestion G12-H30: Haven't tried. From what I hear it's quite clean and bass heavy, but also sounds similar to a V30 and not that vintage.
Celestion Century Vintage: People on the Orange forum rave about them. From what I hear it sounds like a Greenback and a Blue. It will also make my amp lighter! Unluckily I can't try it.
Celestion Gold: Supposed to sound almost exact as the Celestion Blue, a speaker I love. Unluckily it might be too much out of my pricerange.
Tone Tubby AlNiCo: A speaker supposed to be awesome, but it's out of my pricerange.
Eminence Red Fang: AlNiCo speaker that is supposed to be great and have a similar tone to a Celestion Blue. It's also rated at 30 watts RMS, with 60 watts as max, so it will be perfect handlingwise for the Rocker. It's in my pricerange, unluckily I can't try it.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
greenbacks are pretty sweeeet!!!! but i still hol love for the V30s
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
I would go with the Century Vintage or the Red Fang. I've tried the Century, and yes, it does sound like a Greenback mated with a Blue. The people over at Harmony Central Amp Forum rave about the Red Fang.
Ah.

Then comes the question, the red Fang or Century Vintage?

I have heard the century Vintage is VERY loud and I sometimes can't play too loud.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
Then comes the question, the red Fang or Century Vintage?

I have heard the century Vintage is VERY loud and I sometimes can't play too loud.

I want to lean you towards the Red Fang, being an alnico kinda guy myself. But I just looked up both speakers, and the CV has a sensitivity rating of 98, while the RF has an incredible sensitivity rating of 103!

Which means that the Red Fang will probably be noticably louder.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yeah the Red Fang looks good.

From what I hear though, the CV is supposed to be very love or hate and sounds absolutely horrible when it's not broken in.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
From what I hear though, the CV is supposed to be very love or hate and sounds absolutely horrible when it's not broken in.

Yeah, like I said in the other thread, I have a very similar speaker -if not the identical speaker- in my AC30, and I'm still undecided on it. The neodymium magnet definitely offers it's own qualities.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yeah.

According to Eminence the Red Fang has a warm mid rage, chunky low end and agressive high end. This sounds pretty good, because I like a bit of agression in the high end, but not too much, but I want a warm and smooth mid range. It's also supposed to have fast breakup, which I want. Seems as a gerat choice!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I don't know if you'll find what you're looking for. Remember when you had the JCM900, and JCM800, then plexi reissue, now Orange, now you want to change the speaker. If I were you, I'd look at people who use your Orange amp and find out what speakers they use, then see what you like. Also, speakers are very hard to judge right away, they can take weeks/months before their tone settles in.
Yeah I know.

Well actually, the JCM800 combo was sold because I wanted a head, the JCM900 was sold because I didn't like it. The Plexi RI was sold on the reason it was too loud.

I have owned the Orange since April. I have tried it with other cabs and preffered the sounds from different speakers.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

UPDATE!

I put out the V30 on ad yesterday. Got many replies and one guy is going to pick it up tomorrow, so I just took it out (will use my 2x12 cab with the Orange in the meantime) and we will order the Eminence from Thomann today!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

The red fang is very nice I've played a good broken in one before. never tried a new one so i cant comment on it. But i sure you wont be disappointed get up some clips once you get it in
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Alright!

Well I will hopefully get a soundcard soon, wll put up clips then!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Yes it is, I really like the sound out of AlNiCo's.

plus I get a 30 day return garantue, so if I'm not happy I can change it.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Ok, then do this......break in the new speaker very fast and get used to it for 2 or three weeks, then throw the old one back on and note the differences. Is it better/ worse? You will really notice the differences this way. Then put the new one back on to make your final decision.

Hint: If you have a delay pedal/looper, You can loop a guitar phrase for several hours to help break it in when your away. The phrase can include a range of very high and very low notes as well as lots of percussional strings mutes
Last edited by Gutch220 at Jul 16, 2007,
Problem is that I'm selling the Vintage 30, so I can't compare directly.

But yeah I will try and break it in fast. i can probably tell my band I need to break in my speaker and play loud and they will probably understand.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

BIG UPDATE!

I just sold the V30 and ordered the Red Fang from Thomann!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Haha I saw your ad on blocket while searching for ENGL. Then I saw this thread, looked back at the ad and realized something. Gabriel, Gabrie, Gabe, GABE!!

Just thought I'd share
GEAR:
Epiphone special II
Ibanez RG570
Yamaha C-40
Roland Cube 30
ENGL Fucking Fireball
Framus 2x12 W/V30's

T3H HAMMER
let us know what it's like!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by tabs aint cats
Haha I saw your ad on blocket while searching for ENGL. Then I saw this thread, looked back at the ad and realized something. Gabriel, Gabrie, Gabe, GABE!!

Just thought I'd share

Haha yeah

Well I will take it down, when i know fully that the guy is happy with it.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

When's that speaker coming already!

There's a guy on my local Craig's List selling a Red Fang for $90. He's also got a couple empty 1x12 cabs for sale. I'm thinking about buying the speaker to put in my AC30, then mounting the Neodog in the cab.

I was hoping you could tell how great the Red Fang is, first!

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yeah, well I ahven't got it yet

I don't even know if they have shipped it...
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by slatsmania
When's that speaker coming already!

There's a guy on my local Craig's List selling a Red Fang for $90. He's also got a couple empty 1x12 cabs for sale. I'm thinking about buying the speaker to put in my AC30, then mounting the Neodog in the cab.

I was hoping you could tell how great the Red Fang is, first!

yay, that's what i always do too! find someone else who's buying one first!

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think I'm just gonna do it. He's selling it for about half the price of a new one. I'm thinking that if I wanted, I could probably recoup my money by selling the Neodog in his homemade cab. But I'll probably hold onto it, and keep the VJ hooked up to it.

It's only money.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
i kinda got hooked on webers. but id like to know when u've got an update.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by slatsmania
I think I'm just gonna do it. He's selling it for about half the price of a new one. I'm thinking that if I wanted, I could probably recoup my money by selling the Neodog in his homemade cab. But I'll probably hold onto it, and keep the VJ hooked up to it.

It's only money.

I say get it!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Molsons Golden
Toche' = Toshay?

yeah, also two-shay, and toe-shay.

some kid was trying to prove a point, at the end of it posted toshay, it all fell apart from there.

nice to see you tho
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Well turns out it was shipped the 17th, so it should be here next week!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band