So are they as good as everyone says?

I was considering a Marshall MG but everyone says thats terrible. I have a Spider II right now and I think its great but I havn't had any other amps to know if there is one better.

In fact i used to have a SPider III but my dad got rid of iit and now i wanted to buy a new one. Or i could try something new. What do you guys think. I have around 750 to get a Spider III half stack but if you guys have any other Ideas i will consider and I dont mind waiting a little longer to save up more money if there's one better. I want a decent Wattage. Not a practice amp!

Thanks
For $750, you're looking at a good tube combo. Don't go with a Spider III. What kind of music do you play?
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Im have played on a spider 3 amp and it is the amazing infact so good that im gettin 1 for my birthday instead of a marshal!

p.s LOADS of muscians helped to make this amp
Dude! The Traynor YCV50BLUE is perfect for you (any intermediate musician for that matter).
Tiger style.
Quote by axemeisterdan
Im have played on a spider 3 amp and it is the amazing infact so good that im gettin 1 for my birthday instead of a marshal!

Oh well, your loss. Has UG taught you nothing?
Ben
Lets see...

I play a little of everything. Metallicas about the most metal and I like AC/DC, Sabbath, basically classical rock/metal and then blusey rock too like Joe Walsh and Clapton.
Quote by kevinm4435
Dude! The Traynor YCV50BLUE is perfect for you (any intermediate musician for that matter).

+1 dude the YCV50 is floggin amazing, sounds like sex on fire when cranked up.
Quote by muffinman123192
Oh well, your loss. Has UG taught you nothing?

Whats that mean? Do the amps suck?
Quote by kevinm4435
I think I'm going to have to agree with this man, then.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
MG =

get a good tube amp, like a crate. for the amount of money you have, you'd be short-changing yourself by getting anything less
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Quote by axemeisterdan

i wish i was there to slap some sense into you because i guarentee you are going to regret it in a while.spiders are the most terrible amps EVER, they give me nightmares when i learn my friends have gotten one. its been said millions of times on here and will be said a million more time: GET A TUBE COMBO!!!! Very soon you will find the spider sterile and gross, and find out it will sound like **** when turned up. My friend had the same spider 3 halfstack you want and his head blew 3 times, im not lying,worst amps ever in terms of sound and reliabilty. Big no, no
my shit>>>>www.myspace.com/buenostudios

BlackHeart BH5-112
Peavey Rage 158
ESP LTD M-200FM
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD EX-260
Dunlop Crybaby F Wah
Aria Phase Shifter
I'd say you can probably get a great used tube head and cabinet for $750. I got my Mesa MKIII off of Craig's list for $640 and my Marshall 1960B cab for $100[off of a crackhead though.] so I'm sure you can find a deal like mine if you look hard enough.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
As far as amps go. Spiders may sound great when playing alone. I'll give them that. You can get good sound when playing solo. But thats it. They have no cutting through power. You wont be really heard over anyone else you play with and furthermore... if you are heard, you'll sound like ****. Everyone will tell you they hate your tone and you'll be a failure as a musician and life. =]

Dont get a spider.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
Quote by ledzeppelin308

It's true, Line 6 kidnapped them all and forced them to work on the production lines soldering PCBs...some are still there to this day.

Seriously, consider this dodging a bullet. DON'T buy the Spider, DON'T buy a Marshall MG - get yourself a Roland Cube or a Vox Valvetronix if you want a modeller...if you're serious about your tone then the Traynor that's been recommended is excellent.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
lol, I doubt you need a half stack.

To be honest, unless you're in a big band you don't need anything bigger than a 212 combo.

Go tube .
Quote by steven seagull
It's true, Line 6 kidnapped them all and forced them to work on the production lines soldering PCBs...some are still there to this day.

+1 on the Traynor.

See it like this, think them as different ways of transportation:
A Traynor is a top of the line Ferrari
The Spider is a broken down Lada taht's broke in half, missing the wheels and with no engine.
An MG is an old lady that can barley work and your trying to get there by sitting on her back and holding a fishing rod with a carrot atached to it.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by ledzeppelin308
Lets see...

I play a little of everything. Metallicas about the most metal and I like AC/DC, Sabbath, basically classical rock/metal and then blusey rock too like Joe Walsh and Clapton.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Windsor-HalfStack?sku=485059

I think that would be a much better half stack for you. Only problem is it is one channel, so you cant really do switching during songs, but if you have an A/B switch, you could use your Spider for cleans if you had to.
line 6 spider=

I HAVE one (not the halfstack) but i'll tell you once and only once, get a tube amp!
Quote by ledzeppelin308
Whats that mean? Do the amps suck?

Has this thread answered your question yet?
Ben
Line 6 Spider III. Are they are good as everyone says...*sigh*
that's as far as I read into this. Let me just say, that maybe, we should just let people buy these things without saying a word. Sometimes you simply have to LEARN from your mistakes. If he thinks it sounds good, he needs new ears.
Quote by TheEsupremacy
Line 6 Spider III. Are they are good as everyone says...*sigh*
that's as far as I read into this. Let me just say, that maybe, we should just let people buy these things without saying a word. Sometimes you simply have to LEARN from your mistakes. If he thinks it sounds good, he needs new ears.

I learned the hard way

tried it out in the store on low volumes, sounded good, bought it and brought it home, cranked it to half volume now the speaker buzzes/rattles (need to see whats wrong) and you can get better amps for the money. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it as a practice amp or sell it
Fender 212, don't worry buddy, you are not alone. My best friend did the same thing without consulting me first because he saw it in the store and played it at low volume and thought it had a cool stock metal sound. Got it home only to have the speakers vibrate and shake even at low volumes once you turned the Flanger effect on. Luckily, he took it back...and bought a Marshall MG250...? I'm not talking to him right now.
Who is everyone exactly?

They'd make an okay begginer amp, for somone who's just getting started and can educate you on effects etc. but anything louder than a 15watt spider is just a waste of money. Granted you can get better practice amps for the price.

But if you want a serious amp, go valve.
Traynor, B-52, Randall, Crate Palamono, Peavey Classic etc.
Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 20th Anniversary Model Combo Amp or maybe a vox acc15cc1 or if you don't want a real tube, a vox valvetronix AD100VTH half stack ($700 at MF).
My experience with Line 6 is limited to about 15 minutes in a music store. I have been playing a long time and I can generally get a decent sound from most amps in that length of time. The Line 6 sounded sterile at moderate levels. I only cranked it for a couple of minutes (sparing the customer's ears) and I stated hearing the rattle as others have said. It is most likely that they are not very good. I believe you can do much better with your budget. Most of (but not all) of the better musicians play tube. A/B the Line 6 in the store with a tube amp.