Lately I've had this urge to just pull out a face melting solo. But I can't. My main influences are John Frusciante, Mayer, Clapton, and Hendrix. I know the major and minor pentatonic scales (the box ones I think they're called...) Whenever I try to solo in those scales, I just end up doing a few bends, then just running up or down the scale. It sounds like ****e basically. I can't really play too fast... So does anyone have some advice on improving my soloing?
I feel like that sometimes. I walk upto my guitar going "awww man. I am going to play this ****ing awesome solo", then end up drooling ****ty technique and shoddy scales all over the floor.

at that point I usually cry.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
I feel like that sometimes. I walk upto my guitar going "awww man. I am going to play this ****ing awesome solo", then end up drooling ****ty technique and shoddy scales all over the floor.

at that point I usually cry.

Hahaha, exactly. I feel like giving up guitar because I can't play that amazing solo that I hear in my head.
Yep i have the same problem.
so i devised my own type of theory just for those days, which basicly says no three notes together on the fret bored + ****ty technique = something still crap but it gets rid of the urge.

the key is to not think too much and instead feel where you want your fingers to go.
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
Quote by Toms' anominous
Yep i have the same problem.
so i devised my own type of theory just for those days, which basicly says no three notes together on the fret bored + ****ty technique = something still crap but it gets rid of the urge.

the key is to not think too much and instead feel where you want your fingers to go.

+1

also try to "speak" with your guitar.....use phrases, with a clear begin and end...
Gear:
Geetars:
**Schecter Demon**
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Les Paul (Camo)
Ibanez RG-350DX
Ibanez GAX-70
Ibanez IJ-70
Amp(s):
**Valveking 212**
Fake cube 60
Ibanez Jumpstart amp
Pedals:
EH Metal Muff
GLX Distortion
Zoom G-2.1u
If you spend all your time practicing scales all your solos will sound like scales. Vary it up, play other's solos and different positions and stuff.
When you're practicing the pentatonics make sure you don't just go up and down one,practice playing up one and down the other seamlessly andthen do stuff lik taking the first 6 notes of one shape and moving up them and down the first six notes of the next shape.Just do stuff like that over all the shapes.Gradually you won't have to think about where you put your fingers.

Learn the modes next.

Just find the keys to songs you like and keep practicingsoloing over them or get your friend to play chords while you improvise and switch,I do that with my friend every week and find that we have both improved dramastically.
the key is to stop worrying like a bitch about it, relax and play.

and try playing outside the box's, and learn some solos of songs that really inspire you, for the first few years it's ok to steal when you're improvising..
Those with the heart and the brain to get past this can spot a pathetic without even asking.
Take things slowly. If your gonna solo, you better make sure you're a contender for making an extremely hard solo, and not one that anybody could play. Make sure you learn stuff like sweep picking and get a better scale knowledge. This could take months, weeks, a year, years....but in the end it's worth it. I'd try to avoid soloing in minor unless you can make a REALLY cool lick but basically those two in particular scales are very generic. I'd suggest using harmonic minor, the Egyptian, diminished, or whole tone scales for the coolest sounding solos.
Quote by Everybody
Plus_the_Bear is the entertainment event of the holiday season!

My rig:

Ibanez Custom Chinese Fireball
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
2 Crate solid state half-stack cabinets and ampheads.
Digitech 2000 Whammy/Wah Pedal
Dunlops Picks
You'll get faster as you practice. Note the techniques in solos of other songs you've learnt, and spend some time rather than just hoping to play it straight off. Also, you only know two scales, so obviously your solos aren't going to be as good as they could. You need to mix and match a couple of scales in the same key, and don't run up and down the scales (don't bitch about that because you're the one doing it). Look up scales on the internet there are so many, you'll do a lot better with that knowledge.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Yeah. Last night I recorded a song at like midnight (it's on my myspace music "Guitar Song" Check it out) but anyways. The solo was pretty cool. Then after that I went in my room and fooled around with different solo's and then I said to myself "I'll record these in the morning..." Well I got up today and tried recording them, but they didn't feel right. I think it was because I was feeling the solo and that made it ten times better than trying to play the same thing. I think that's why many guitarists improvise because it makes the song ten times better if it comes from your feeling that just remembering what you played originally.
i can rip off a face melting solo with my pinky toe.
Gear:
Squier P-bass
GK Backline 110 combo
Digitech Bass Modeler
Crybaby Wah
Your influences are not who you like but where your playing style comes from, and it sounds like you haven't developed much of one yet, no offense intended.

on topic, one helpful thing would be to know your triad shapes in the scales your playing and to be able to "land" on a note in it at the end of previously mentioned phrase.

EDIT: It's not all about scales, i know only a couple of scales myself, but I hardly ever restrict myself to playing within them.
Last edited by that1l)ude at Jul 15, 2007,
Learn the minor, harmonic minor, major, major pentatonic, and the patterns for all the modes. It seems like a lot of work, but if you learn them it will pay off immensely. Also, learn how to play the minor pentatonic in every position on the neck of the guitar. It may take a few weeks, but it seriously does pay off in the end. I used to have the same problem as you, and then I learned the minor and major scale, and everything took off from there. Now I've developed my own unique style and can play pretty much whatever I hear in my head.
Haha, I didn't mean to sound like I'm bitching. But yeah, thanks for all of the advice. It's very helpful. And I don't really understand how you switch scales in a song. Do you just go from playing the D Penta, to a C Penta or something like that? Or do you go from say, a pentatonic to a harmonic?
you can switch scale type but don't go you prob shouldn't go from D Penta to C unless there's a key change in the song.or if you were playing jazz or something like that
Quote by Surfer Rosa
you can switch scale type but don't go you prob shouldn't go from D Penta to C unless there's a key change in the song.or if you were playing jazz or something like that

Oh alright... but it is possible to do that, but not very likely. So you usually just go from a pentatonic to a harmonic (I'm just throwing those names out there because I saw them in the thread. )
My guitar teacher told me I shouldnt play solos using scales.
Hes not my teacher any more, but I have very little knowledge of scales thanks to him.
Quote by guitarkid2113
Oh alright... but it is possible to do that, but not very likely. So you usually just go from a pentatonic to a harmonic (I'm just throwing those names out there because I saw them in the thread. )

No. If you were playing a solo in the key of C, you could all sorts of scales, you don't need any warning to switch scales, and it's often more interesting if you do, but if you went to a scale in the key of D, that's not changing scales, that's changing keys.

Key=C
Scale=Pentatonic

For an example.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by guitarkid2113

its possible to do anything with music DON'T LIMIT YOURSELF>
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
Quote by guitarkid2113
Haha. Ok. Now. I'm going to try.

To make a solo more interesting you could go from C Pentatonic, to C Harmonic so it sounds a bit different?

YES. My last three ****ing posts said that. You don't listen .

(I'll forgive if your solo is at least ok, which I'll take your word on.)

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
YES. My last three ****ing posts said that. You don't listen .

(I'll forgive if your solo is at least ok, which I'll take your word on.)

The solo on my myspace song?

And sorry, I just need to have a definate (sp?) yes or no. Sorry bout that.
sounds like you don't listen to anything with face melting solos in it anyway. try and find something you like that has faster stuff in it. then when you look at the solos in the music, you can see what they're doing and take something from it.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
sounds like you don't listen to anything with face melting solos in it anyway. try and find something you like that has faster stuff in it. then when you look at the solos in the music, you can see what they're doing and take something from it.

Face melting for me doesn't mean fast... it's just like, so good that... it melts your face? I don't know. Face melting for me doesn't mean fast like it does for many people. I think it's meaningful.