well if you're writing a song based on a mode, what exactly makes it specific to that mode? like if i wrote a song in c# phrygian, it would have the same notes as A major, and the chords i got from it would still be the chords in the key of A major, so what do i have to do to make the song specifically in c# phrygian?
feel free to get deep into it if it needs doing, just don't do something that's going to blast my perception of modes to hell.
The sound. Phrygian has a very dark sound.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
well the difference between phrygian and ionain(major) is teh b2, b3,b6,b7 so you would want to emphasize those intervals.
you would want to use C#min7 quite a bit cause thats the chord that phrygian occurs in
It has the same notes as A yes, but you're using C# as root basically... Takes effort not using the scales in an acustomed way and trying to get a mood.
*shrugs* I don't know...
Outline chords that use the modes unique intervals. Like with Phrygian, it's the only mode with a b2(5) and a perfect 5th. Use chords with b9s, b7s, and b3s too.