so I need some help from some thrash vets. I am not looking to sound like metallica, but no matter hard I try, I keep ending up with a sound similar to one of their older albums. I am playing in a Thrash/Prog band, and I'm trying to find a sound with a ballsy low end, but also has enough boost for when I start soloing. I have a MT-2 metal zone, which I have had for years, and I just picked up the GE-7 Equalizer.

Any help is appreciated.
MillsMetalMan
well the MT-2 is pretty poor to be honest- what guitar, pickups, and amp are you using?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
ESP hammet. (202, to be exact)
Fender Strat
Fender FM110h, 412 stack
MT-2
GE-7
Hendrix Wah
DD-3 Digital Delay
MillsMetalMan
Its your amp. Metallica (i think) uses Mesa Boogie stacks, and a low-end, solid state fender stack isnt going to get you anywhere close. Also, the MT-2 isn't helping, its about as trebley as it gets.

Basically, you need a new amp. The standard good, cheap metal amp is a used peavey 5150 combo. I dont play metal at all, so i havent played it, but the FM series from fender is definetly not a quality amp.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
aye. I picked it up a year ago; It was cheap and I had a gig. I liked it then, for a low end solid-state it's actually not terrible.

I am looking into a Marshall head... $1750. I don't remember the model, but I'm not looking to sound like metallica. So far, I actually really like the MT-2, but I might exchange it for a different one. I only use boss, however. I hate Digi, and I have yet to find another stomp that I like.
MillsMetalMan
Old metallica? or new metallica? Recently, metallica's been into all kinds of amps, VHT, Boogies, Hetfield's even test driving Kranks.

I think the MT-2 is really only good for lead work, other than that, bleh.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by MillsMetalMan
I only use boss, however. I hate Digi, and I have yet to find another stomp that I like.

Look at some Electro-harmonix- great stuff from them
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Metal Muff is a much better pedal than the MT-2. I recommend the Muff and a new amp.
Guitar: G&L Tribute S-500
Amp: Fender Blues Deluxe
Pedals: Zvex Box of Rock
Last edited by deputysalty at Jul 15, 2007,
Thanks for all the help... Since I posted I have been screwing with my stuff, and I actually found a tone I'm happy with. More of a generic Exodus/Kill'em'all sound, but It'll work till I get some better gear. Thanks!
MillsMetalMan
I'd suggest getting a Peavey Windsor head (all-tube, 100 wats, 400 DOLLARS!!!). They sound just like a JCM800, perfect for thrash and prog!
Quote by deputysalty
Metal Muff is a much better pedal than the MT-2. I recommend the Muff and a new amp.

muff is good anytime
Austin Les Paul rip-off that sounds really nice
Gibson V
PEAVEY JSX 212