Hey, I just need some advice on muting.
|----------15-17-18-|
|-15-17-18----------|
|-------------------|
|-------------------|
|-------------------|
|-------------------|

I noticed when playing a lick like the one above on the top two strings, the B string rings out slightly when changing strings, it only rings out very shortly and faintly, but when I listen carefully it gets on my nerves.
Now I've thought up of 3 ways to overcome the problem,
1) Leave my 1st finger hanging over the B string while its fretting the E string, kind of like barring it, but it isn't being fretted.
2) Alter the way my left hand is holding the pick so the thumb can mute the B string
3) Alter the way the fleshy bit of my palm is angled and muting the strings so when I change strings it mutes the B string

What I would like to know Is would it be better to go ahead and make these changes or should I slow everything down and build it up from the beginning, making sure that when the last finger on that string lifts up it doesn't ring out, (though I'm not sure this is possible at high speeds)?
Or If i should make these changes to my playing should which one(s) should I do, or all?
Or anything thing else...

Thanks.
Some things work for different people. For me, its easiest to mute the string with my left hand, by making sure I lift my fingers without ringing the string. Although to get to high speeds like you said, I may have to change my technique.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
using your 1st finger to mute da b string softly is da best way to go, if u wanna mantain speed. use your picking hand when muting single notes or chords in succession.
I always use the fleshy parts of my palm to mute strings as Im going.

Edit:

Just got back from my guitar.... The most effective way is muting with the picking hand, its just easier that way (for me), your other methods seemed a bit too much (highly likely because I never done them before) but yea, I would just sit and practice them all until you find your preference.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Last edited by Guitardude19 at Jul 16, 2007,
Quote by Guitardude19

Just got back from my guitar.... The most effective way is muting with the picking hand, its just easier that way (for me), your other methods seemed a bit too much (highly likely because I never done them before) but yea, I would just sit and practice them all until you find your preference.

Do you mean the one where you leave your index finger muting the lower string? Or lifting your finger lightly?
Quote by bigmanwithanaxe
Do you mean the one where you leave your index finger muting the lower string? Or lifting your finger lightly?

Lifting the finger lightly gave me a harmonic (annoyingly) and muting with index finger was awkward feeling.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!