Hey guys.

With this new forum and all, I have been analyzing my technique and practice like crazy. I'm good with the theory and I can improv solos, but like I said, I have been analyzing my playing more than ever.

I have a question on exercises. Usually, I will sit down, warm up for a good 15 minutes, and get down to practice. I'll grab my 3 licks that I work on, and play them. These are licks from songs, magazine lessons, online lessons and other things like that. I rarely practice linear exercises, and I only do the 1-2-3-4 pattern for warm up (16ths at 80bpm makes for a good warm up speed right?) I rarely will sit down, and practice these linear things for a good amount of time with a good amount of focus.

Are those exercises really useful? Are they something that I should do more often? Or, should I just continue back to my usual routine of just learning fast licks, and gradually speeding them up and adding them to my lick library?

Thanks!
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
I personally hate chromatics, the amount of time you use them in your playing is minimal, I'd say your way is alot better, taking licks that you'll use and practicing them!
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

The only way youll improve is to just play it. start slow tho to make sure technique is right and whatnot.
I don't know what kind of music you like, but listen. If you learn extremely hard songs that you really have little or no hope of playing up to speed, learn it! Take your time, learn it EXTREMELY slowly, and trust me. After 1 or 2 months of learning the song and getting it up to speed, it's the same as having about 5 or 6 months of practice, plus, you get a new song under your belt that you can brag about, and it was musical, so it wasn't boring at all.
You should learn the kind of things that help you to build your repertoire. Don't just steal licks, analyze them and integrate them into your own style. If you don't know how to apply them in improvisation and songwriting, they're not very useful and you're just another copycat. As for the warm up, I wouldn't do chromatics. Instead, create sequences using the modes, so when you're woodshedding your chops you also learn some theory at the same time.