Page 1 of 2
How do they do it? Is it even possible to detect piracy? I mean, it seems kind of anonymous to me. If I were to download something, how would they know that?
Just wondering.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
How about you stop stealing stuff and use some damn money.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
computer wizardry.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
they decided to break the law to help fight against the law being broken. didn't work out.
'never a victim,' the role model said,
bang-bang, the bad guy is dead,
always a rockstar on eMpty TV,
the lesson complete, now the child has needs.
Quote by zippidyduda

lol why do that? lets say i only want one song off an album, im not gonna buy the whole damn album just to hear one song..
They get your ip address, then use that figure out the owner of that ip address and sue them. So really, if you have open wifi it could be anyone that hopped on your network. That's why the whole suing people because of an ip address is bull****, because you can't prove that it was physically that person sitting there downloading the files.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by zippidyduda

I do end up buying the album if I like it, and the rest is just random songs I like off various albums that I don't like in general.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Quote by XAkitAX
lol why do that? lets say i only want one song off an album, im not gonna buy the whole damn album just to hear one song..

Well, you could use a service like iTunes to buy that one track.
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by Op3th

Some people dont have enough money to spend on different tracks, no matter how cheap it is.

Anyway, its not like the artist is losing any money. The record company gets most of it to begin with.
Quote by heavyairship
dying hurts

empty sig
Quote by Op3th

I buy as much music as I can but

A: You shouldn't need money to enjoy music.

B: I doubt the suits at Capital Records are begging on the streets.
Quote by JimmyPageda2nd
I masturbate while my parents are home anyway. Sometimes I invite everyone in the living room for a "family meeting", then spontaneusly whip it out and start beating it. I love family meetings.
These threads always turn into Pirates Vs. Purchasers. But I will give credit alot of people do both.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Track your IP address I guess. The site you visit would probably have a record of all its users so once they are closed down, you're screwed.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Phill-Rock
Track your IP address I guess. The site you visit would probably have a record of all its users so once they are closed down, you're screwed.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!
IM OUTS!!11
Quote by XAkitAX
The artists only get about 10 cents per album sale or something isn't it?

More likely around $1 I've heard. Besides I'm not saying you should buy albums and stuff, if you really want to support them go see them live, I'm saying that only wanting one track off of an album doesn't have piracy as it's only option.

Also, a lot of torrenting sites are based out of different countries, so US law does not apply (eg. The Pirate Bay).
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Last edited by Op3th at Jul 15, 2007,
Quote by OaklandRaider24
I buy as much music as I can but

A: You shouldn't need money to enjoy music.

B: I doubt the suits at Capital Records are begging on the streets.

True, true. But making music is a job for some as well as a passion and an art. If nobody paid for music then the artists would probably stop making it. Think how much pro recording equipment costs, and how much time and effort these people are putting in to making songs for someone to just download it for free somewhere. It's not really fair, but I'm not saying I haven't done my fair share of Limewire-browsing.

However, it can be justified. For example, 'Umbungo' by Rhiannon or whatever the crap it is has probably been stolen anyway; and even if it hasn't then the writer is probably some 55-year old pervert who sits in a motel room smoking a fag, scratching his balls, and then picking up crayons before he starts copying words from the take-out menu from the Chinese down the road.
Quote by Bearded_Seth
I love it when people play with my hair :3

Being a dog must be awesome.
Quote by Op3th
More likely around $1 I've heard. Besides I'm not saying you should buy albums and stuff, if you really want to support them go see them live, I'm saying that only wanting one track off of an album doesn't have piracy as it's only option.

Also, a lot of torrenting sites are based out of different countries, so US law does not apply (eg. The Pirate Bay).

the average deal between record company and artist is

8% artist

92% record company
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Quote by XAkitAX
I think there's about 500 legal downloading services out there you could use. Don't use the "one song" thing as an excuse.
Quote by Castlebravo
I think there's about 500 legal downloading services out there you could use. Don't use the "one song" thing as an excuse.

what if i dont have a credit card/atm? cash would be my option. nub
Quote by XAkitAX
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!
IM OUTS!!11

One of my friends changed it so his IP adress seems like its from Russia or Sweden or something. So its harder to track, and at first glance you might think "its ok, they can do whatever they want in Russia (but they can never leave...)" so you'll avoid getting fined or anything.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by tommyt
the average deal between record company and artist is

8% artist

92% record company

Source?

edit: I'm not saying you're wrong, I just like to know there's a reliable source behind the statistics and they just weren't pulled out of someone's ass
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Last edited by Op3th at Jul 15, 2007,
http://cristgaming.com/pirate.swf

I've been looking for an excuse to post this
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
Quote by eldanny
http://cristgaming.com/pirate.swf

I've been looking for an excuse to post this

DUDE! I remember seeing that a few months ago! I laughed so hard and ended up watching it constantly for like 10 minutes. Good ****!

B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
The truth is that the RIAA has an office in the Department of Mysteries, in a room which is kept locked at all times. The ministry then magically detects the use of illegal download programs and sends a team of highly skilled Anti-Piracy Wizards to pwn your hard drives and turn them into toadstools.
Quote by Felkara
Dude, you just made the most intelligent post in this entire thread. Congrats.
Quote by XAkitAX

iTunes music store, 79p per single song.
Quote by mh400nt
Theres rats running around outside my window, one of them has an apple, he looks very happy about this.

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Oh ****

Aaaah well. It gives me an excuse to rape.

Quote by Jaymz_515
Bunnywunnywabbitywoos.
Quote by XAkitAX
what if i dont have a credit card/atm? cash would be my option. nub

Well, you could buy a gift card for iTunes. Lol dude just give up the only wanting one track excuse. There's a lot better excuses to pirate stuff like: **** the RIAA, I'm too poor, I don't want to support record companies, it lets me sample the music then if I like it I buy it, etc.

B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Some peoples ISP's have programs that monitor .mp3 downloads/uploads.

Mine does.

My ISP even monitors stuff like game downloads.
Quote by DPH
Some peoples ISP's have programs that monitor .mp3 downloads/uploads.

Mine does.

My ISP even monitors stuff like game downloads.

Wow, glad my ISP doesn't spy on me. The only thing they did was bill me for the extra 20gigs I went over my download limit. Won't be doing that ever again...
My ISP does. Damn Hughes net.

I've got like, 300MB download limit, those fuckers, and if i go over it, they turn the internet off until the MBs get restored.
Quote by heavyairship
dying hurts

empty sig
Wow I get 60GB (roughly 60000mb), If I go over they just charge.
Your ISP keeps IP records, all the RIAA has to do is subpoena your ISP to turn over records.

Proxies also keep IP records, that will only slightly protect you.

They are trying to sue the large downloaders / uploaders at any rate. It's like trying to stop drug use in the US... they go after the dealers, not as much the users. Of course, music downloading and drug use are still going strong, so apparently something isn't working.
Inna gotta davita.

What?
midichlorians...

yeah... ip trackers?
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
i find it funny that all of you bash people who download music.
are you forgetting the age we live in?
if its free get it. exploit every opportunity

why wast 25$ when you can get it for free.
dont use the support the band crap, b/c it means nothing.
support the band by going to concerts and spreading their name around to your friends.

and another thing.
not everyone has the money to send on cds.
so its their own fault that they are not aloud to listen to their music b/c they dont have the money for it?

tons of bands love the idea of free downloads b/c it spreads the word.
cd sales are nothing for the artist unless they have released alot of records.
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Page 1 of 2