I found a Vox ac15cc1 1x12 and a Marshall JTM 30 2x10 on ebay for the same price. I currently have a ****ty line 6 spider II and i want to get a tube amp. Does anyone have any experience with either? I want something that gets good cleans but can also get a good overdrive sound. Thanks
I prefer the Vox. It gets better cleans and pretty good overdrive. It really matters what style you play.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
well what music DO you play?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
haha well i'm not sure, my preferences are constantly changing. I'm experimenting with many different genres. I sort of play a little bit of everything, so i'm looking for something with many uses. If that helps...
well vox is said to take pedals rather well, so i think you should go for that

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Sorry for the quick hijack but would the AC15's OD+an OD pedal get metal/hard-rock type of gain?
Fender Lite Ash Tele/Hamer SATF<--Korg DT-10<Zvex Super Hard On<Digitech Bad Monkey<MI Audio Crunchbox<Pro Co "Keeley" Rat<Line 6 M13<<--Marshall JTM60 1x12 Combo
^ It will get to that gain with an OD, but it's not voiced for that sort of thing, so it won't sound as good as a more modern-voiced amp.

As for the thread starter's question, if you go for a JTM30, be sure to check it out and play it thoroughly first, as I've heard that they're fairly hit and miss in terms of quality. I've got a decent example of a 1x12, and it's a bit noisy at high volumes, but nothing too concerning. Also, the boost channel on it is nothing more than a clipping diode, so be sure to crank it as much as you can to get the tube saturation, and then bring the boost channel's gain in very subtly, no higher than 11 or 12 o'clock.

If it's a new VOX you're going for, then it's going to be nicer in terms of reliability, but it will sound distinctly like a VOX, whereas the Marshall will sound like a Marshall. They're two very different sounding styles of amp, so make sure you know which sound you're looking for.

EDIT: The Marshall will also be louder, twice the wattage doesn't mean twice the volume obviously, but it will be enough to make a difference, and the extra speaker will make it sound 'bigger'.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Quote by Grundy0
Do you have any idea what your talking about? Because i can't understand half of what your saying and i think you are possibly clinically insane
Welcome to The Pit.

^
Last edited by Tom S. at Jul 16, 2007,
^^ Thanks that helped, and i have heard a lot about the jtm30 being really unreliable. I think i'm going to go with the vox.
^

Glad to be of help.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Quote by Grundy0
Do you have any idea what your talking about? Because i can't understand half of what your saying and i think you are possibly clinically insane
Welcome to The Pit.

^
just picked up an ac15 yesterday and am loving it. although, this ac15 has the alnico speakers in them and a tube rectifier, made in england as well. do they still make them with the tube rectifiers?

the sound from the vox is great. i play with a les paul, and i really think it brings life to my guitar (i played on a flextone before this, so it was a huge leap to move up to a tube amp).

as far as pedals are concerned, how do big muffs do on the vox?
^ Is it the blonde-cabinet one? I don't think the Custom Classic AC15's have the valve rectifier, but those vintage reissue blonde ones have it and the alnico speaker. I think those have the GZ34 preamp too.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
no its the brown cabinet cloth. this was made in 1999 with two EL84s and a 5Y3 rectifier tube. unfortunately not the vintage.
Hmm, most Vox amps I've seen use either GZ34 or EZ81, but 5Y3 could be a different name for that. I've seen 5Y3 used in alot of old Fender amps. Was it brand new?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
this amp was made in 1999 in england. i'm not too familiar with tube amps, actually this is my first.