after getting through for the year, im gonna get that delay pedal (eventually) ive been trying to buy.

so, id like to hear suggestions on which delay to get for us poor souls whose amps dont have an fx loop.

ive heard some stuff that it works best through an fx loop. also, ive heard that digital delays wont sound well in front of an amp. so does that limit us to analog delays? i really dont need a flashy, gimmicky long delay. i just need something to give more body, probably a short or slapback delay.

thanks
Jong

Strat, V847a, OCDv3, Carbon Copy, DD-5, Flying Dragon, EL84 amp
well the advantage of analog delays is that they were around when amps didn't use to have FX loops

try some on your amp at a store

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
well one of the differences between running in front and thru the FX loop is that if the pedal is throuth the loop, then if you switch from distortion to clean, the distortion continues to delay. In other words, the delay doesnt abruptly switch channels, which gives you more of that authentic studio sounds. But if you stay on one channel a lot, or you are just doing a short or slapback delay, then i dont see a problem with putting it in front. For one thing, its a lot more convenient. Im actually planning on getting a Line 6 DL4 delay, which has both digital and analog delays. I would save my pennies for that pedal, you will definately want to upgrade to it eventually. Hope this helps!
^it models analog delay, but is completely digital...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

so does that leave me with just analog delays?

the good ones are quite expensive... how about an SMM?
Jong

^nice pedal, not as much delay time as its bigger brother the DMM and you can not use the chorus and delay at the same time though

i'd save up for the maxon analog delay, the DMM or if you have too much time or money to spend the moog delay

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

the DMM is definitely nice, but its too expensive for me.

was looking at the new #1 echo. analog sounding, but its digital though. problem is, its new, and i cant find any reviews.

one question, though. when they say that digital delay dont sound well in front of the amp, what does that mean? what qualities do they lose or gain for them not to sound good?
Jong

When infront of the amp, they're kinda mized in the with the guitar tone, but in an FX loop, they're more upfront and on top of your guitar tone, overlapping.

Anyways, I'd recommend an Ibanez AD9 Analog Delay, for a short, clean delay, slapback, or a Marshall EH-1 Echohead for a longer Hi Fi delay, or the analog and tape functions, or even the modulation and reverse echoes
In my experience, there really isn't any difference between analog and digital delays other than delay times and the odd "warble" (some call it "warmth", I call it warble) here and there as the chips vary the delay time slightly. Also, analog delays tend to cut some high end off of each repeat. For your application, there really won't be any difference between an analog delay and a digital delay with a high cut control. The high cut control will probably come in handy if you're pushing the front end of an amp so your original signal has a little more punch in it and the delays don't distract from the original tonality of your incoming signal.

In other words, I don't really think you should be concerned with the digital vs analog debate with your situation. Use what fits and go try some out.
The prevailing wisdom is this: Time delay effects (reverb, delay, chorus, etc.) tend to sound better in the effects loop. If you have to run them straight into the amp put them after the other effects (distortion, etc.) in the chain. Some also like the wah before the distortion. I like the wah after the distortion (I like the harmonics.) I happen to prefer the sound of analog to digital but its not a big deal. Even though all my amps have effects loops I prefer the sound direct into the input of the amps. Either of these setups is only important if you are recording or have a very critical ear. As long as you don't introduce unwanted articfacts into your sound (i.e. pops, clicks, hums, buzz) either is just fine.
I use a Line 6 DM-4, bit expensive but it's very cool. I hear good things about the ibanez, DD-6 etc