i dont know if this has been done before. it probably has, but the search bar is being gay.

anyways, i just picked up my new vox ad30vt but every time i turn it up past half, or use a lot of gain i get a really loud REALLY high pitch squealing sound from it. now, before you say feedback, its not. theres a difference between the feedback and whatever this is. its hard to explain, but im positive its not feedback.

thing is, i bought it used at GC so im getting a little worried about it, cause ive never liked buying used gear and i took a chance with this. so, is this common with these amps or is something wrong?

oh also i forgot to mention, i tried changing cords 3 times and it didnt change, so i know its not my cord.
Quote by nt1440
thats true, i hate kids who go "oh noess limewire is soo bad, viruses everywhere crashed my computer, had to buy a new one" well mayb thatll teach u that the a song isnt 112 kb and named cute_teen_has_orgasm_on_webcam_xxx
u mean... feedback?

lol. jk. it might be catching microphonics from something else. which is... feedback.

take it to shop?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Do you play through any pedals? One of the pedals might be low on batteries or plugged in backwards.
(Some history behind that theory: I plugged in my Vox wah backwards just to see what would happen, and it made this weird squeally noice when I pressed on it)
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
nope, no pedals.
Quote by nt1440
thats true, i hate kids who go "oh noess limewire is soo bad, viruses everywhere crashed my computer, had to buy a new one" well mayb thatll teach u that the a song isnt 112 kb and named cute_teen_has_orgasm_on_webcam_xxx
Quote by Kartman
Do you play through any pedals? One of the pedals might be low on batteries or plugged in backwards.
(Some history behind that theory: I plugged in my Vox wah backwards just to see what would happen, and it made this weird squeally noice when I pressed on it)

same here!
I know exactly what you are talking about. I have the same problem when I plug my LP into my Mesa. My other guitars work fine. I get no noise with my Schecter or B.C. Rich but when I plug in my LP and crank it, it makes this terrible noise. I posted a question about this not long ago. No one helped me
Member #9 of the Carvin club
Your tubes may have gone microphonic. When this happens whenever the tube vibrates hard it will produce some nasty noises to include squeals. I'd recommend having a guitar shop take a look at it. I know you probably don't want to spend more $$ on the amp, but my guess is this is your problem. Your Vox has a 12AX7 pre-amp tube (unless someone changed it) which are notorious for being microphonic.
If you want to check your tubes yourself here's a link:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2043383_-locate-microphonic-tube-amplifier.html
Quote by Nirvana-Man
same here!

Gilmour did that to get his feed back.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Are you sure your amp isn't channeling my wife thruogh it?!?

But seriously, it sounds like you are just getting feed back though your amp.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
I thought that if it was microphonics it has to happen even when theres not a guitar plugged in, and you turn your amp up. Then you can still hear the microphonics from the tube.

If that is the case (that's what i was told), unplug your guitar, turn up your amp, see if it still makes the noise. Otherwise, you might just have ****ty pickups that give you odd feedbacks at high levels.
lol im using my girlfriends squier right now, my epi sg is in the shop. haha i was wondering if that was it...
Quote by nt1440
Quote by Reincaster
Gilmour did that to get his feed back.

He must have used a Vox or similar for that on "Echoes" because I tried that with my 95Q and got no signal whatsoever....damn you Dunlop!!!

Getting back on topic, it sounds like feedback to me. If it really bothers you, you can take it in and have it checked....don't know if a shop can do much with it though.
Please, call me Chase.

Quote by GeneralGrim
You live up to your name, sir. Well done.

Gear

Lefty MIM Strat
Traynor YCS50 :
Larrivee D-03R
Dunlop 95Q Wah
BYOC Fuzz
Fulltone OCD
Vintage Volume Pedal

I witnessed Night of the Pear 2
I can't think of anything in the guitar that might cause that with one exception. Maybe the output jack on the guitar is screwed up (broken wire, a short of some kind.) Try a different guitar in your amp. You can tap on the 12AX7 tube with a pencil lightly. If it is microphonic it should probably ring like a bell. Be careful and don't touch anything else inside the amp (electric shock.)
Quote by uldhppi
I can't think of anything in the guitar that might cause that with one exception. Maybe the output jack on the guitar is screwed up (broken wire, a short of some kind.) Try a different guitar in your amp. You can tap on the 12AX7 tube with a pencil lightly. If it is microphonic it should probably ring like a bell. Be careful and don't touch anything else inside the amp (electric shock.)

its probably the output jack. i mean, i AM using a cheap squier that my girlfriend got for free.

well, im getting my epi back tomorrow, so i guess we'll see then.

thanks for the help everyone.
Quote by nt1440
I doubt it's your output jack to be honest, I'd be looking more at poor incorrect shielding in the guitar combined with a bit of feedback. Have you tried playing in different rooms or standing with your back to the amp?
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
it's actually happened to me, a loose jack that won't hold the lead in caused noise problems. I replaced the jack, zero noise.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
this actually happens to me with a different amp while using a Gibson Les Paul. I read somewhere (probably UG) that there may not be enough wax between the actual pickup and the chrome cover, which is causing the squealing. My squealing has happened on pretty much any amp with substantial gain using my LP. It goes away if I cover/mute the strings with my fretting hand, but returns if I'm covering with my fret hand and have a hand over the bridge pickup. It's kind of annoying if I'm trying to do fast tapping and my right hand and arm cover the pickup area to mute strings. Not sure if any of this helped...
i have a les paul that does it on my amp anywhere past about 2. my other guitars dont ever do it. i think its the pickup selector because when i change the pickup selection the really high pitched squeal turns into a slightly different but just as annoying squeal. im gonna take the guitar to the shop and see if they can help me or throw in some new parts.