Ok, so I'm working on my first strat, it's hard since it is my first guitar built from scratch, the hardest thing for me was the neck, well it's finished now and it's perfect, so I'm moving to the body.

A couple of questions, I have the body cut and it's in shape now, sanding it was easy, my first question is about contouring, how exactly do you do it, do you just need a spokeshave to do the job?

My second question: when it's time to start routing the guitar I will have some trouble, because I don't have the router machine thing, so I will need to do it manually, is that possible? Would forstner bits and chisels be enough for routing all the cavities?

My final question is about the pick ups: I was planning on doing it YJM style, 2 YJM Dimarzio and one HS-1, but it's too expensive, so I planned on getting Fender
Hot Noiseless Spickups, are they good?
Quote by Portuguese_boy
Thanks, but what's the easiest way?

Edit: Wow, nice guitar you built there.
I found my approach with a sanding disc the easiest for someone with little skill. I tried an angle grinder but it removed way too much material. A number of more experienced guitar builders swear by angle grinders. After using the sanding discs, I cleaned up by hand sanding with various grits.

And, thanks for the compliment on the guitar. Its based on the Klein Electric Guitar.

Regards,

Robert
Quote by ririzarry
I found my approach with a sanding disc the easiest for someone with little skill. I tried an angle grinder but it removed way too much material. A number of more experienced guitar builders swear by angle grinders. After using the sanding discs, I cleaned up by hand sanding with various grits.

And, thanks for the compliment on the guitar. Its based on the Klein Electric Guitar.

Regards,

Robert

Thanks again, can you just answer my second question, I'm having trouble with the routing.
Chisels and forstner bits can give you good cavities if you take your time. A outer is much quicker and repeatable. If you pla on building more than one guitar I would buy a router.
Quote by dave293
Chisels and forstner bits can give you good cavities if you take your time. A outer is much quicker and repeatable. If you pla on building more than one guitar I would buy a router.

Yeah, a good one can be had for relatively cheap these days. Just make sure you practice up quite a bit before you attempt to work on the body. A decent set of bits will help avoid a lot of problems too.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by Portuguese_boy
Thanks again, can you just answer my second question, I'm having trouble with the routing.

It is possible to do the routes by hand, of course. And, if you're using a pickguard then you can hide a world of flubs under one. However, a router really is the way to go. You'll use the router to flush trim the guitar body , to route out your pickup and control cavities and neck pocket. With the right jig you can even use a router to plane a body blank or radius a fingerboard. The router is indispensable. Personally, I went with a high end Dewalt model but you can pick up a cheap router and get good results. What you'll really need is good router bits. They make a HUGE DIFFERENCE.

As far as trouble with the router, I'd pick up a book on routing or borrow one from the library. Here's an article I put together on several woodworking resources for guitar makers.

I had never used one before my first guitar project but ended up with good results regardless. Read up, practice, have some patience and you'll get through.

And, if you have more questions, please feel free to ask!

Regards,

Robert
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Green_Jelly

I'll get pics when I get the body of the guitar, it's not in my house, it's in my dad's factory, that's where I built my guitar.

I might be able to get the router from my friend, but I don't have any experience with it.

Edit: If you want pics I can give you pics of the finished neck, it won't help.
Last edited by Portuguese_boy at Jul 16, 2007,