well, i guess you could say "minor"... but kinda major.

theres a problem with each, single, one of my guitars. first off.

Ibanez

The neck pickup fell in a while ago. I couldnt do anything about it so i snipped the wire. in result, the guitar is even more neck heavy. on top of THAT... its ugly, sounds like **** and has a bad neck.

Strat

i would use this, accept... the body has a few knicks that bug me while im playing, and the neck has some dents in it that makes my thumb slide into them and the strings get caught (theres only one on the fretboard, 9th fret, low E). and, when im playing, my pinky touches the volume knob and makes it move.

'51

lol. it didnt sound so great to begin with. but the neck is screwed over, frets dont work.

so, im not asking for a guitar. im not asking what guitar i should buy. im not asking for anything of purchasing values, or at least a specific model. i have 4 choices. a) shut the hell up about it, and live with the ibanez, knowing its a piece of sh!t with only one pickup and a crappy one at that. b) mod my strat and take the volume knob off, and fill in the dents. c) find a new guitar or d) make a bastard out of the parts i got and a new body or neck from warmoth. either way im just going to keep saving the money on top of what i got.

so, which one should i do. lol. i got royally ****ed in a matter of a few weeks.

and for those asking about my rig.

Blues Junior
Ibanez AXS32
Squier '51
Fender MIM Strat
Boss DS1
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Big Muff
DigiTech DigiDelay
Ibanez TS808
Vox V847a
Epi VJ (Modded to Hell by kerry fine...) <--- This one is getting ordered tomorrow.

money is really tight, and i need your guys help on what i should do.

thanks.

edit: oh yeah. the other problem that exists is that i can usually only play a fender neck. it would be as easy as buying a body and moving in the electronics... but the neck is dented. i would need to removed the laquer, fill it, and then laquer it again on a few spots...
Last edited by Arlabester at Jul 16, 2007,
Suggestions:
Well with the Ibanez, (if you havn't already) you should take the pickup out. Then maybe buy a replacement pickup for it and put it in.
With the strat, try to fill in the dents, and the pinky-volume knob thing could be useful for volume swells.
And with the '51, see if its an intonation problem.
ok. thanks for the response!

well for the ibanez, the pickup is gone. but the problem lies in the neck heavy ness and the fatness of the body. i also dont like the neck. the cutaways suck really bad too.

well the only dent that bothers me (with the thumb thing) is this knick behind the 5th fret... but i dont know if it matters cos i usually play in the 5th position. i think the one on the 9th fret is possibly unfillable. i need to try though. the pinky problem is bad though... almost every 15 seconds i knock it down to seven and cut off some gain. do you think theres a way to move it?

and no man, the squier is GONE. i took a file to the frets. long story. dont wanna explain.
Ibanez-Get a new pick or two for that matter if it's ****
Strat-Get a new neck or deal with it
Quote by killbox2490
HOLY S**T! There is a switch hahahahahha. Thanks Red Wing. Now you're probably going to quote me for being so retarded

CLAPTON IS GOD
Quote by redwing91007
Ibanez-Get a new pick or two for that matter if it's ****
Strat-Get a new neck or deal with it

argh, like i said, with the ibanez its not just the pickups. its the whole thing.

and a new neck is quite possible, but theres still the volume knob thing. i think there might be a way to adjust my playing.

edit: does anyone know how to fill in dents and knicks on a neck?
Last edited by Arlabester at Jul 16, 2007,
ok... so having played ibanez's of varying types before that's just the way the necks are... they're heavy... either learn to deal with it or sell it... the fact that you just chopped the pickup out doesnt help though...

seriously if you hate the pickups replace 'em... they're really just ok pickups... JUST ok...

strat... either get a new neck to replace the f'd up one or you're gonna strip it and build it back up and redo the "paint job" on it. Unless you literally have a chunk missing you can always fill it with sometihng out there. There are rediculous amounts of stuff for filling wood and sanding it down etc. You might end up having to paint it instead of staining or doing something clear on it though... the pinky thing... you either need to learn to play a little different so you dont do that or you need to either get a tighter volume pot or you're gonna have to do some serious mods on that thing to redo it so you can move it

then the 51... never ever ever take a file to your frets unless you're absolutely 199% sure what the heck you're doing. You can almost never adjust your frets with a file by hand unless you've done this like 50 times already. You either need to have them ripped out and replaced by someone who knows what they're doing OR whatever you dont like about them is because the neck is bent and on the average guitar it's either a screwed up or bent truss rod or your neck can't take the strings that are on it or something like that... nothing a file is going to fix

now that you've filed it you have to figure out what the original problem was caused by such as truss rods and neck being out of adjustment AND you need new frets installed too...
Guitars:
Legend Guitar Company OM-307QM,
Gitane John Jorgenson Gypsy Jazz Guitar,
Ibanez AG-85,
Gibson Johnny A Signature Custom

Gear:
E-MU 1820M, Guitar Box Pro, Aphex 204, 1404, Boss OC-2, QSR, Roland Cube 60, Guitar Rig 2, Crybaby 535Q
well for the ibanez the guitar itself isnt heavy, the neck is. and i hate the neck, and the cut-aways. that guitar is going to meet the wall and become fast friends with it once i figure out what im doing.

i think the knicks and dents couldnt be as bad as i perceive them to be. after all, the blackie was dented to hell and it still played fine. and yeah, i gotta adjust my playing style.

lmao, yeah. i found that one out. some dumbass told me the wrong way to do it then i was a dumbass as well... im just gonna make it a fretless when i get a hold of a soldering iron.
converting a fretted to a fretless is not simple either... you have to take all the strings off and there's some sort of epoxy or something you need to dye and fill in the holes with and let it cure for awhile before you put the strings back on. There's an article around somewhere on here. My guess it's not fun.

As I said I have an ibanez... yes it feels light on bottom and heavy up top on the neck. I've found there are MUCH worse guitars out there then that though where literally sitting on your lap unless you are seriously trying to hold it it literally will flip off due to the weight of the neck. If you play it only and no other guitars for a few weeks several hours a day you'll get used to it though.

for ideas on complexity or replacing fretting look at this... http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies.html

and I'm guessing your strat is gonna be $120 and then some bucks for a neck seeing this http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,_wood/Electric_guitar:_Necks/Replacement_Neck_for_Strat.html
Guitars:
Ibanez AG-85,

Gear:
E-MU 1820M, Guitar Box Pro, Aphex 204, 1404, Boss OC-2, QSR, Roland Cube 60, Guitar Rig 2, Crybaby 535Q
ah thank you.

the ibanez is still not staying, mate. ive had it for a while, and im still not use to it. plus, im a big guy... the guitar is not so big.

i think ill just suck it up and buy a rail for the strat, ill get use to the dents.

and fretlessing is just heating it up, then tearing them out, filling it in and refinishing it.
Here... read this one... explains the process of pulling, filling, and sanding your fretboard... and if you want to putting different fretting on for "weird" note spacing... or if you go fretless modifying your nut

http://infohost.nmt.edu/~jstarret/guitar.html

I looked up your ibanez. Yeah... that is pretty darn small.
Guitars:
Ibanez AG-85,

Gear:
Should be in Electric Guitar.
*reported*
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Moved and I'm closing all you other threads.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by lbritish
Here... read this one... explains the process of pulling, filling, and sanding your fretboard... and if you want to putting different fretting on for "weird" note spacing... or if you go fretless modifying your nut

http://infohost.nmt.edu/~jstarret/guitar.html

I looked up your ibanez. Yeah... that is pretty darn small.

thanks!

and yeah, the body is really, really small.
If your in a band, smash your ibanez on stage.
-Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass
-Tech 21 Sansamp RBI
-Mesa Powerhouse 212
-Fender Bassman 410
-Tons of other bass/guitar gear

FAST MELODIC PUNK! CHECK OUT MY BAND!
therowleyestate.bandcamp.com
When I had a strat, I had the same problem with the volume knob. Take off the pickguard, and move the volume knob into middle hole for the higher tone knob. Set the tone knob to whatever you like, and leave it inside the pickguard. The volume knob will now be out of the way.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
Last edited by MurderWorship at Jul 16, 2007,
Just leave the actual volume pot but pull the knob out so it's harder to accidentally hit. That's probably the easiest and simplest way.
Quote by pugnapugnapugna
It seems like you keep on finding things wrong with your gear. How do you progress as a player if you're always bothered by this insignificant crap?
becuase i can live with what i have now, its just a new guitar, or a bastard of mine would be much nicer.