im in a trio and i play guitar but out bass player doesnt know much about gear so i said i will help him out trying to find the best gear to make our band sound as loud and powerfull as possible to fill out any space in the sound.

other bands we like;
muse
clapton/cream/blues breakers
hendrix
fleetwood mac (early)
queen
pink floyd (syd barret and dave gilmour eras)
the rolling stones
wisbone ash

the bass player/singer has a stereo bass wich id like to be able to use to an advantage. and i have a fender strat and a les paul that im willing to mod.

i have 200£ pounds to spend but can get more money if it means that we can get a larger sound.
also id like to make my guitar sound like different things, like planes taking off, bombs blowing up, shooting stars and loud spacey type things, my old amp (line 6 spider(yeah i know its crap but i have a marshall dsl now)) had sweep echo which i like, and maybe a fuzz pedal.

what do you think i can do to acheive these sounds?
can you help us?
Last edited by The_0thersid3 at Jul 16, 2007,
Budget?
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by The_0thersid3
Its right there...

What about him?

For the bassist, a tip is to boost the mids. Of the bands you listed, most of the bassists use a frown EQ shape. Does his amp have a variable mid control?

You gotta boost the mids too, and don't put in too much bass because then you'll be encroaching in the bassist's territory.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
the budget for the bass is about 50-100 pounds
he has two amps as well as a stereo guitar, i was thinking of either of us using a fuzz pedal or some kind of distortion.

actually lets say teh budget is open ended and then i can get a better idea of things to do and i can always save up for new gear if and when i need it.
Quote by The_0thersid3
the budget for the bass is about 50-100 pounds
he has two amps as well as a stereo guitar, i was thinking of either of us using a fuzz pedal or some kind of distortion.

You could try bi-amping, which is where you run it through a signal splitter, and send everything below a certain frequency to one amp and everything above a certain frequency to the other amp. The advantage of this is you can say, run distortion on the high end of your signal while keeping the low and clean and not go all muddy because of the distortion. However this is used when someone says 'I want to get a gritty tone without losing my low end', not 'I want to get a fat tone'.

If he really wants to save up, tell him to save for an ampeg SVT (tube, none of this hybrid rubbish) stack. That is the ultimate rock bass amp, and sounds massive.

Before buying anything, try messing with both of your EQs. He should be boosting his low mids and bass if he needs to, and you should be boosting your mids and treble. If his amp has a variable mid control, get him to set it to about 250-300Hz.
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.