So i'm going to be getting a job by the end of this month and plus my birthday is coming up and i really want to get a new amp and get rid of my crap 15 watt spider and go tube!

My styles of music are a very broad in that i play things like:
-Breaking Benjamin
-chevelle
-paul gilbert
-Killswitch Engage
-Metallica
-ozzy
-AC-DC
-Trivium
-and some clean stuff as well as some blues

I wouldn't be gigging, mostly playing in bedroom and garage and jamming with some friends

i need an amp that isn't extremely high priced but will give me what i'm looking for!

i'm thinking a combo would be best, i have looked into some marshalls and mesas but don't know which ones would suit me best. i have also looked at the 5150 but i don't know if its to much gain for me...

i will be attempting to try any amp suggested at my local shop but what i need right now is suggestions!

thanks for your help, cheers
How about buy a Laney VC15R and some form of OD pedal such as a Tubescreamer.... That would be an inexpensive way of getting a ridiculously versitile high quality setup.. Cost you about $900AUD ($700USD, $400UK) aprox
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
well you dont need a tube amp if your not gigging, id look into Line 6 Flextone IIs, would cover all those tones, a VOXADVT series or if you want tube a marshall DSL combo a price limit would be good
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
^^ for most of those styles he would require a solid clean tone and distortion in the same song, a split channel would do it, but a regular JCM800 used would still cost alot of cash
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Quote by sheumack111
How about buy a Laney VC15R and some form of OD pedal such as a Tubescreamer.... That would be an inexpensive way of getting a ridiculously versitile high quality setup.. Cost you about $900AUD ($700USD, $400UK) aprox

+1 yea the vc15r would be perfect for u, it has great tone and with that OD it should give you enuff gain. and it would be loud enuff for small gigs every once in a while
my shit>>>>www.myspace.com/buenostudios

BlackHeart BH5-112
Peavey Rage 158
ESP LTD M-200FM
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD EX-260
Dunlop Crybaby F Wah
Aria Phase Shifter
Quote by dertjoe
^^ for most of those styles he would require a solid clean tone and distortion in the same song, a split channel would do it, but a regular JCM800 used would still cost alot of cash
Somebody on here got a used on on ebay for like £250. The combo. In perfect working order.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
So the laney with a good overdrive would give me enough gain to get the tones im looking for? idk when ever i think of laney i think of a vox sound and that really isnt what im going for but i could be worng?

although im not gigging yet i still wanna buy a tube because this amp will be my last for a while and i want one that will satisfy me for a while so being small doesn't really play a huge factor!

i just want a good amp that can give me a good modern rock to hardcore sound as well as a decent clean!

thank for the replies
Quote by HeritageQB11
So the laney with a good overdrive would give me enough gain to get the tones im looking for? idk when ever i think of laney i think of a vox sound and that really isnt what im going for but i could be worng?

although im not gigging yet i still wanna buy a tube because this amp will be my last for a while and i want one that will satisfy me for a while so being small doesn't really play a huge factor!

i just want a good amp that can give me a good modern rock to hardcore sound as well as a decent clean!

thank for the replies

yes the laney with a good overdrive should be ample for your needs, and as far as i kno the clean is really nice on those laneys too

BlackHeart BH5-112
Peavey Rage 158
ESP LTD M-200FM
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD EX-260
Dunlop Crybaby F Wah
Aria Phase Shifter
The Roland Cube series really sounds good for a solid-state amp. I would also check the Peavey Transtube series. Crates aren't that bad for bedrooms. Try them out. I am really a tube person but for bedroom ss wouldn't be bad. You can get 5 watt tube combos with a master volume (essential for bedroom levels) that can also get surprisingly loud when cranked for $200.
yea i have heard the cube and im just done with solid state i really wanna get a tube even if i dont use is to it full potential right away i can grow into it as i grow as a guitarist!

i will keep the the laney in mind and will try to test it out!

how is the Mesa DC series? i have heard a few of those and they seem pretty good?

and the 5150 is it just to heavy for what i want? even with a chorus pedal for the clean?
Quote by HeritageQB11
and the 5150 is it just to heavy for what i want? even with a chorus pedal for the clean?

No, it's just perfect for the gain stage. It's versatile enough to play all the bands you listed and a chorus in the clean will be good. I find the cleans on the combos are better than the heads though. It's a versatile amp, I don't care what anyone says, I can get tons of tones out of mine and I only paid $250 plus my Sunn Concert Lead head - so about $500.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Do you think testing a 6505 would be suitable enough to judge the 5150 because i will most likely be buying it used and wont be a able to try it!

i really think from the thnigs i have heard and seen its the amp for me!

thanx for your input!
Quote by HeritageQB11
Do you think testing a 6505 would be suitable enough to judge the 5150 because i will most likely be buying it used and wont be a able to try it!

i really think from the thnigs i have heard and seen its the amp for me!

thanx for your input!

the 6505 and 5150 are the same thing if im not mistaken, so yes it would be very accurate in judging the 5150

BlackHeart BH5-112
Peavey Rage 158
ESP LTD M-200FM
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD EX-260
Dunlop Crybaby F Wah
Aria Phase Shifter