ok ive only ever played once in my life! i dont know really much about it but who is the "the best" on the bass. basically as you all probarly know everyone or alot of people will say hendrix for whatever reason i would myself say hendrix even though i know hes not the fastest or the technicaly advanced!

but who is equivalant to that of the bass world. i do hear alot about flea and i do like his groovy style! him and chris from muse are the only ones i think are good (in the limelight for me) the rest are sort of shadowed by the guitarist!

so who is it to all you guys!
Quote by JamieB
Because all TRUE GUITARISTS know what PLUGINCHILD looks like, DUUUUH!

I want it now, and i want you NOW! give me your heart and your soul!
There is no bass man for all men. Only bass men for one man.

You lay me down as I go to the store
Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine

When you hear music after it's over, it's gone in the air.
You can never capture it again.

victer wooten(bad spelling) or billy sheenhan he played for steve vai
"A little word for my enemies and fortune seekers -
go fuck your Jesus..... he likes it up the ass!!"
Glen Benton
billy sheenhan
Quote by ratracekid111
And the Tax! Dear God! When I only get one virgin a month, I want the whole freakin' thing! The damn government shouldn't be chopping it in half
if you like senseless noise, Billy Sheehan

if you like boring dragged out immense skill, Victor Wooten

if you like a bass being attacked and funky punk flowin thru ur ears, Flea

if you've never heard of "rock opera" and love abstract bass, Les Claypool

if you want fastest fingers and a solid band, John Entwistle

if you dont mind your brain being boggled by annoyingly horrible singing, Geddy Lee

if you want a quick-picking player with a harsh voice and a fast band, Fat Mike

if you want a crappy bass player poundin out root notes, go ask someone who listens to the crappy new age pop punk music.
jaco pastorious, flea , victor wooten, and billy sheenhan
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by Slap n Thump
if you like senseless noise, Billy Sheehan

if you like boring dragged out immense skill, Victor Wooten

if you like a bass being attacked and funky punk flowin thru ur ears, Flea

if you've never heard of "rock opera" and love abstract bass, Les Claypool

if you want fastest fingers and a solid band, John Entwistle

if you dont mind your brain being boggled by annoyingly horrible singing, Geddy Lee

if you want a quick-picking player with a harsh voice and a fast band, Fat Mike

if you want a crappy bass player poundin out root notes, go ask someone who listens to the crappy new age pop punk music.

If you don't want this fucker diluting your mind with crap then go out and explore the music for yourself. No one else is going to have the same taste.
If you don't want this fucker diluting your mind with crap then go out and explore the music for yourself. No one else is going to have the same taste.
Someone just got some cool Points.
BTW Kap, the pop punker would be Pete Wentz. But I haven't explored long enough to chose THE bass man.
I'm tied with Pete, Flea, and Pheonix.
Last edited by KMilliron at Jul 16, 2007,
Why do bassist have names like Flea and Pheonix?
I should get a cool nickname...
Quote by KMilliron
Someone just got some cool Points.
BTW Kap, the pop punker would be Pete Wentz. But I haven't explored long enough to chose THE bass man.
I'm tied with Pete, Flea, and Pheonix.

if he won points with burning some great players, then you mention pete wentz after my post, then the world is not what it used to be... smart.
pete wentz is not a real bass player...
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by PLUGINCHILD
ok ive only ever played once in my life! i dont know really much about it but who is the "the best" on the bass. basically as you all probarly know everyone or alot of people will say hendrix for whatever reason i would myself say hendrix even though i know hes not the fastest or the technicaly advanced!

but who is equivalant to that of the bass world. i do hear alot about flea and i do like his groovy style! him and chris from muse are the only ones i think are good (in the limelight for me) the rest are sort of shadowed by the guitarist!

so who is it to all you guys!

Read what you said. If he's not the most technically advanced, dont you think there are people who would disagree? I know a lot og guitar players, and very few of them agree on a "best all time." Its the same with bass. There is no widely accepted "best ever." I cant even choose my "best ever" because I listen to both metal and funk. You cant really compare metal and funk bass players. If you must have a name, Ill say Victor Wooten...but dont hold me to that.
Jaco Pastorious is the most widely agreed upon "best" bassist among the more professional players.
Their are alot of toher noticable ones, but he is the best.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
I would'nt consider him the best but my personal favorite would have to be Matt Freemen.
Victor Wooten doesnt count. Hes not human, lol. No human could possibly play that good.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Well I consider myself a good fisher, but I don't think you can really call any one person the best at catching bass. There are some people who catch more than others, and there's some that catch bigger than others. I really think that the best way to catch a bass is with a fishing pole. Have you ever wondered why bass swim so hard? I think it's because they are made from bean sprouts. Also consider for a moment the ostrich. Now, I would use a line with a test of maybe 30 pounds, because a bass swims so hard. This will ensure that you don't break the line. O'Charley's rolls taste like Coors Light beer. I think that fish are cool, and you are cool too.
Quote by Jiimy
Well I consider myself a good fisher, but I don't think you can really call any one person the best at catching bass. There are some people who catch more than others, and there's some that catch bigger than others. I really think that the best way to catch a bass is with a fishing pole. Have you ever wondered why bass swim so hard? I think it's because they are made from bean sprouts. Also consider for a moment the ostrich. Now, I would use a line with a test of maybe 30 pounds, because a bass swims so hard. This will ensure that you don't break the line. O'Charley's rolls taste like Coors Light beer. I think that fish are cool, and you are cool too.

Stu Hamm was talked about on the forums during the Bx3 tour. I really like his playing and he's a very personable human being to boot.
Jiimy that made my day.

Anyway, one of my favorites is Alex Webster. He's a talented bassist, an amazing musician, and an all-around great guy too (at least from how everyone describes him and how he presents himself in interviews). It's hard to choose a "Best Bassist," because "better" is subjective.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
^Webster's pretty sweet too...is that tapping I hear on that song off of Kill?(somethin' about Revenge) Very creative in a style of music where its very tough to be creative.
Quote by etubrutus123
^Webster's pretty sweet too...is that tapping I hear on that song off of Kill?(somethin' about Revenge) Very creative in a style of music where its very tough to be creative.

Definitely. Alex is the man. For more of his tapping stuff, check out Cyanide Assassin. It has some awesome bass tapping in it, and it's very distinct. He's one of my favorite metal bassists, or bassists in general. He really is prominent in the mix, especially on his older albums. It can be really tough to do that as a death metal bassist, too.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I'm going to go ahead and say Geddy Lee because he writes killer lines all the time, and then on top of that he can play as fast as the next chappy.

Geddy Lee = King.