Poll Options
View poll results: Satriani or Vai?
Joe Satriani
60 48%
Steve Vai
65 52%
Voters: 125.
Page 1 of 3
Listening to both artists, thinking '****ing hell, that's special stuff', I got around to wondering which one I liked best. I'm leaning towards Joe, but I want your opinions.
neither, but out of the two, satriani
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
They're both technically proficient and amazing guitarists, but I'm going to have to go with Vai, simply for the fact that I own every Vai record and not one Satch record.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Vai for sure.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
If we're talking most enjoyable mix of technical ability with melody and catchy prasing, I would have to go with Satch. Vai is very amazing too, but Satriani has an ability like no other guitarist to create very specific melodies and carry that through without sounding repetitious. But, I do love Vai's work with Roth and Coverdale, as well as his big instrumental hits.
Meh. I'm not a fan of either, but my vote in the end goes to Vai.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Satriani > Vai.

Satriani puts soul into his stuff. Vai is mindless shredding. Plus Satch taught Vai.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Satriani.

Well pissed off at the moment though. Vai's playing here when I'm away and I don't even want to go .
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
i listen both for probably the same fact as the rest.

Satch to enjoy some good instrumental rock

Vai to enjoy some good instrumental extravaganza

You could just as easy compare coke with beer both enjoyable at different times.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Stratwizard
Satch's music is way too one-dimensional and bland to me. So, Vai.

This for me.
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

Quote by TehNez
Satriani puts soul into his stuff. Vai is mindless shredding.

I hope that was a joke, because it was a flat-out retarded statement to make..
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
After listening to both Steve Vai and Satriani, I'd have to say I like Satriani. Steve Vai songs just don't mix well with me, and sometimes the technicality of the music bogs it down a little. This is coming from a person who believes you don't shred to make quality music.
I prefer Satch, he doesn't have to shred in every song. Just listen to "Down, Down, Down", great song. Although I do love Vai though. Going to see both of them before summer's over.
Quote by TehNez
Satriani puts soul into his stuff. Vai is mindless shredding. Plus Satch taught Vai.

I prefer Vai, there is so much more variety in his albums and seems to take more risks with what he plays.

Satch is more kind of traditional instrumental kinda stuff, but is still awesome.
I really can't decide, they're impossible to compare. It's like asking whether you like cars or pudding better.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
For technique, Steve Vai is more than a match for any electric guitarist in history. Also, he is brilliant live, is versatile, and has a unique, instantly recognisable style. He experiments with all sorts of weird stuff, a good example being 'Freak Show Excess', which encorporates Bulgarian marriage music with his own unique, wacky style. Not to mention Vai has mastered every technique imaginable - sweeping, alternate picking, legato, two-hand tapping etc.

Joe Satriani, on the other hand, is a lot less 'out there' than Vai. Satraini is, for the most part, space-age blues/rock, although he can play many styles. He is a great live entertainer, although not as great as Vai, and has amazing technique, falling short of his former student's by only a short way. He writes captivating melodies ('Love Thing' is too beautiful to be true) and is the more influential of the two (he gave Vai lessons, but Vai gained fame before Satriani.)

However, the best has to be BUCKETHEAD! He is more versatile than both Satriani and Vai, having played jazz fusion, funk, metal, electronica and many more over the years. He has played on firty-one albums, which averages out to three a years, and guested on many more. He also has ridiculoous chops, and has mastered (probably) every technique, notably tapping, but also sweeping and legato. Buckethead is the best.

For technique - Vai
For melody - Satriani
For genius - Buckethead
Buckethead and John Petrucci got into a shred batte. Petrucci went into world domination mode and melted Buckethead's face off. That's why Buckethead wears a mask.
Vai. He has more variety in his music and incorporates a broader range of sounds and styles than Satch, although I do love them both.
hehe i tied it off >=) its a hard decision but i voted vai
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
For me Vai maybe it's because I'm more of a Vai guy haha loved him in the G3. Anyone know why people call Joe Satch? I have no clue.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Anyone can listen to Satriani and like it. Vai is slightly less widely appealing. Vai takes the cake for me, just because of how quirky and innovative his stuff is across the board. Satch is slightly more strict blues-inflected rock, albeit with some whacky techniques in there.
no
Quote by shut_up_n00b
For me Vai maybe it's because I'm more of a Vai guy haha loved him in the G3. Anyone know why people call Joe Satch? I have no clue.

Satch because when you say his name correctly it's Satch-ree-ah-nee hence Satch
I can't choose on any day. Vai's tone I enjoy more, Satch's bores the hell out of me (since Strange Beautiful Music). Vai's playing is all over the place and pisses me off a lot of the times, Satch's is consistent and always makes for a good song (if not always very exciting). Vai has better stage presence but sometimes the wankiness and hair-blowing fans gets silly, whereas Satch jumps around with a bucket hat on his head with shades and looks more like Stevie Wonder each time he plays Flying In A Blue Dream. How are you supposed to choose?

Anyway. After seeing both at G2 '04, I infinitely preferred Vai. Just because of his setlist.
Vai sometimes wears skirt-like things onstage...makes me wonder.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I own nine albums by Satch and only three by Vai. Does that pretty much decide for me who my favourite is? Would seem like it.
I own 19 G3/Satch albums and 15 Vai albums.

Oops, shouldn't have said that.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Quote by Resiliance
Meh. I'm not a fan of either, but my vote in the end goes to Vai.

Clearly since someone like you could never have listened to them in the past...

Anyways, I say Vai.
Vai, bar none.
Guitar rig
Schecter C-1 Classic
Boss GT-8
Mesa 50/50 Power Amp

Synth Rig
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro
Reason 4.0
FL Studio 8
Page 1 of 3