I've been playing guitar for over 2 years now, I've been working on mainly technique and lately, music theory.. But I've never really got Time Signatures, etc.. I know what they mean (4/4= 4 quarter notes, 6/8= 6 Eighths, etc), but I've never been able to use them while playing. I just wanted to know, do most other guitarists actually count out the time signature as they improvise, etc?
tapping your foots always helps
Gear:

Encore copy of a Les Paul

Line 6 Spider 3 30 Watt
Well, I suppose you could count beats... for example if you're in 7/8 you count to 7 and start over... but mostly it's just a question of feeling the groove. I don't know of many people who actually count while playing.

If you're just dealing with 4/4 and 6/8, or well any time-sig with an even number of beats, the groove should be pretty apparent from the start. If not, a lot of these things just come to you sooner or later if you keep playing and listening to music.
Yeah, tap your foot and accent your playing on the beat.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
I usually count unless I'm comfortable. The problem is is that you don't have a "rhythm library" for those time signatures.

Grab some paper and just right out many rhythms that equal 5 beats and clap them out. Get them internalized. Start simple, then get crazy using 16ths and strange accents that you wouldnt find in 4/4. It's really fun. Do the same for 7/8 etc. This will help you immensely!
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.