Poll: Which Amp
Poll Options
View poll results: Which Amp
VJ(Head and Cab)
5 50%
Crate Palomino 5w
5 50%
Voters: 10.
So I have a Valve Jr. on lay-away (head and cab), but then I got looking at the Crate Palomino 5 watt. I talked to the manager, and he said that he wouldn't mind if I went for the Crate. It's $250 for the VJ head and cab, and only $200 for the Crate but I don't mind spending the extra $50 if the VJ is better for me.

now, I know won't be able to get all these tons from both of these amps, but I would like to be able to get a suitable sound for playing style. I play lots of Coheed and Bayside, the heaviest stuff I play is probabley In Flames or Metallica. I have a ZW-44, and I don't mind having to buy any other pedals.

So which is better for bedroom practice, small jam sessions, and small gigs?
I'm a big fan of that V8.

I bought the VJ head last year (for $90) because I already had a cab and the V8 was selling for $270. At today's prices, the Crate would easily be the choice for me. It's a nice amp.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
My vote goes for the crate, there lovely sounding amps. Can probably do Metallica-ish gain with a o/d. Possibly without if its cranked. And you damn well better crank it .
Quote by slatsmania
I'm a big fan of that V8.

I bought the VJ head last year (for $90) because I already had a cab and the V8 was selling for $270. At today's prices, the Crate would easily be the choice for me. It's a nice amp.

Slats, how big is the Crate compared to the VJ stack, could I take it on the bus to school with me no problem? and how well do they both take pedals?
It's a 1x10 combo. It's pretty small. I don't think you'd have much trouble getting on the bus with it. Probably much easier time than you would with the VJ stack.

Neither amp has an FX loop, but they both take pedals very well.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Thank you very much Slats and everyone else, now I just found out that I'm getting more money, so should I go with the 15w or 5w Crate?
I bought the V16 for my son. He loves it. Every guitar player he plays with loves it (and borrows it). It's enough power to jam or perform small gigs with. If you can afford it, I'd say that it's well worth the investment.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Slats reccomended me to a Crate V16 and i bought one. Best descion ive made in a long time. I think you would definetly like it, although i have not tried the VJ so i can only speak on behalf of the Palomino.
Schecter Blackjack
Mesa F-30
Line 6 Verbzilla
Bad Monkey
FAB Chorus