Page 1 of 2
We recently added another guitarist... but it used to be just me doing that and vocals.

We coped by not having many breaks in vocals and adding more to the bass lines to make up for it. Sounded alright to me... but we're a punk/pop/rock band, so it didn't need to be technical really.

The only problem is... whenever there was a solo bit (not that there was much) it sounded bad, since the chords cut out, but it was only live.

www.myspace.com/cynicalprotest - most of the bass lines have been completely redone... and since there is a new guitarist there is some more guitar parts now... but you can get the general feel of the music.
Yeah fine. You kinda make up by having a heavier guitar. Not overblown but, kinda like Weezer.
www.myspace.com/theoncefuturekings

Let me know what ya think!

MUFC

And it'll haunt you, my honey bee,
anyone who's anyone has had that same dream,
where you're falling, or where you're flying,
or were you calling out, or were you dying?
its great although it can sometimes sound thin when the guitar has a melodic part and the bass has a strict rhythmic structure to keep but if you can work around that then you're golden
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Im the only guitarist and my band and i also do vocals.

Ive had some problems i must say:

one being that i find it hard to sing over some of the parts i've made up, like when they are in odd time signatures. Also then i quite enjoy rhythmic harmonies and with one guitar i miss that, therefore im on the lookout for another guitarist
maybe so...maybe so young one.

Quote by Friggly
"But just PRETEND i'm not your sister"

Quote by dingmydong
I'm gonna start reffering to the female reproductive organ as the scarlet monastery now

I agree with Mr Loomis, not being able to harmonise is a draw back.

Also... there's less chance of conflict.
It's okay. At this point I'm jamming with my mom and my sister (drums and bass, respectively). The main song that we've played has been Can't You See by the Marshall Tucker Band. When I solo, I sometimes wish there was a rhythm player or something, but it doesn't sound too bad.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
I'm in a one-guitar band. The thing about it is that the bassist really has to step up to fill the rhythm.

In fact, I prefer it. Everybody has their specific role, and there's less morons to deal with.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
I always used to think there were problems, and two guitars were always better, then I remembered Led Zepplin, Van Halen, Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, etc...
Quote by chris_kedro
I always used to think there were problems, and two guitars were always better, then I remembered Led Zepplin, Van Halen, Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath, etc...

The Stones had two guitarists.
Quote by Arthur Curry
It's just The Man trying to bring down us negroes.

Quote by Yakult
Just go out in a silk dressing gown and ask them if they've ever been penetrated
I am in a one-guitar band...My guitarist, and I(singer) have been wanting a rhythm guitarist for a long while.It is just hard to find a GOOD guitarist in his range here...
Me-You're a fucking retard
retard-DURRRRRRRR!
Me-So you agree?
retard-DURRRRRRRR!
Led Zeppelin
Cream
Van Halen
Black Sabbath
RHCP

All great bands, if you and your guitarist/bassist are good enough it can be great
www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Quote by RockerPseudonym
I think stone is either 7 or 14 lbs

Edit I'm gonna go with 14 because it's rather unlikely you're 56 pounds

Quote by evening_crow
sounds like....u need a...

BAND MEETING!!!
i used to be in a band where i played guitar and sing, i highly recommend a keyboardist if you can't find a guitarist and you are singing and playing, it takes heat off you live and you can focus more on vocals, so for me its - if you sing and play you should get another guitarist if you can't do both without screwing up or get a keyboardist, if you don't sing one guitar will suffice........ but if your just playing stuff like greenday no more than one guitar
I like being the only guitarist in my band. It just sucks there's no one to harmonize with, but getting the singer to pick up the guitar for a couple songs isn't really a problem.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
I play lead in a two guitar band, and I find that our bassist doesn't really do much other than just fill out the low end, or play rythm when theres a harmony guitar solo. As a bass player myself, I can't help but think that one guitar bands leave more room for the bass to do things. Groups like Tool, and (possibly) Joy Division are good examples of there being room for the bass to kind of stretch out.

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
Quote by rhymeswith suck
I play lead in a two guitar band, and I find that our bassist doesn't really do much other than just fill out the low end, or play rythm when theres a harmony guitar solo. As a bass player myself, I can't help but think that one guitar bands leave more room for the bass to do things. Groups like Tool, and (possibly) Joy Division are good examples of there being room for the bass to kind of stretch out.

I agree in most circumstances. Some bands can pull off good bass with 2 guitars. Like Iron Maiden and Rancid.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Phil Lesh the bassist of the Grateful Dead, which had 2 guitars, still soloed and had very interesting parts and definately did more than just hit root notes and fill the low end. Same w/ Berry Oakley from ABB he always had very melodic runs and solos. Many others as well.
Quote by TehNez
I agree in most circumstances. Some bands can pull off good bass with 2 guitars. Like Iron Maiden and Rancid.

Maiden goes up and beyond. They have 3
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
its actually not bad, i prefer it to having 2, i was in a band with 2 guitars and now i sing and play as the only guitar in a new band. having 1 eliminates so many arguments, but the bassist has to be solid as a rock and know was hes doing. this is no place for a bassist to just root note pound. but i think depending on the genre 1 guitar is better
"Blues is what you got when everything else is
gone." - J.Lansdowne
basically i shall sum up

having one guitarist has its down and upsides.

upsides:
Less conflict possible in the band
One less person to keep in time
good for bass players to expand as they have to completely fill in the rhythm section
band is tighter...in my experience this has always been the case

Downsides:
NO guitar harmonies
Guitarist has more work to do because he/she has to think of all of the guitar stuff and not have the ability to get ideas from others.
Guitarist also has to be good in both rhythm and lead playing (which is actually quite hard to come across)
You have to find a better bass player because the bass playing role will be more demanding (well usually anyways this would also probably mean a better drummer as the drummer and bass player support eachother

hope that helped a bit
maybe so...maybe so young one.

Quote by Friggly
"But just PRETEND i'm not your sister"

Quote by dingmydong
I'm gonna start reffering to the female reproductive organ as the scarlet monastery now

I kinda knew all that's been said, I just wanted to hear opinions from those who have first-hand experience. Thanks for all the replies and effort

Quote by Mr.Loomis_shred
Guitarist also has to be good in both rhythm and lead playing (which is actually quite hard to come across)

To me, not to brag, this isn't a problem. Rhythm comes naturally to me, and my lead is getting better all the time as I learn new scales, practice more, etc.
Last edited by Retro Rocker at Jul 18, 2007,
I've been in a one-guitar band, it's not so band, being I was the guitarist. I'm pretty fluent in playing rhythm and lead so it doesn't sound so bad.
Its awesome, there's not a lot of conflict and i get to decide how heavy the song is and everything. The guitar solos work fine for me, you just gotta make em exciting with a lot of hooks. I was ina two guitar band and i like being the only guitarist much better.
Quote by Black Star
Maiden goes up and beyond. They have 3

Not anymore. Didn't they lose their 6th member a long time ago? Their past few albums show them as a 5 piece.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
I'm in a punk-ska band and in a metal band and both only have 1 guitarist and it is working out perfectly fine. I play bass and sing in the ska band but I only play bass in the metal band. It's great I think because there aren't too many people to get together for practice
We've always been fine. We just arrange songs a bit differently, and I use a lot of Rachmaninov-ish decorated chords to add more texture.
I wish I was in a one-guitar band, currently we've got 2 guitars and a keyboard, so the midrange gets really cluttered. Also it gets much too crowded when it comes time to jam.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Quote by Grundy0
Do you have any idea what your talking about? Because i can't understand half of what your saying and i think you are possibly clinically insane
Welcome to The Pit.

^
Quote by TehNez
Not anymore. Didn't they lose their 6th member a long time ago? Their past few albums show them as a 5 piece.

They've had Adrian back since 2000 I believe. Murray has been there the whole time, and they decided to keep Janick after Adrian returned.

Unless they kicked one of those three guitarists out after Download.
Quote by MuffinMan
Quote by Black Star
They've had Adrian back since 2000 I believe. Murray has been there the whole time, and they decided to keep Janick after Adrian returned.

Unless they kicked one of those three guitarists out after Download.

I haven't heard 3 guitars in their music for a very long time. Come to think of it, even going back as far as The Trooper, I only hear 2 guitars. I've always been confused about it, cause I know they had/have 3 guitarists (I remember seeing 6 members in a band photo when I got Best Of The Beast when I was 4...)

I dunno...I'm confused.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Quote by TehNez
I haven't heard 3 guitars in their music for a very long time. Come to think of it, even going back as far as The Trooper, I only hear 2 guitars. I've always been confused about it, cause I know they had/have 3 guitarists (I remember seeing 6 members in a band photo when I got Best Of The Beast when I was 4...)

I dunno...I'm confused.

Back in the old days, they rarely used all three guitars. Bruce would sometimes pick up the guitar, making himself the third guitarist. In fact, on their current album, A Matter of Life and Death, I believe they recorded The Legacy using four guitarists (the three + Bruce).

Just know that they have three guitarists. Take it from a Maiden fan
Quote by MuffinMan
I loved being in my band with only 1 guitarist. As a bass player I got a lot more freedom (while still supporting the song), and the chemistry between me and the guitarist was great. The mix was awesome, we became really tight as a group. I really prefer having 1 guitarist that's more rhythm with some lead qualities (kinda like RHCP) but maybe having a horn to add another flavor to the music.
The bassist has to really work hard to keep up and accompany the guitar for the single guitar songs...

Its better if the bassist is playing some sorta funky bass line other than just single root notes. And listen to loads of bands with just one guitar and see how its done...

For my band, for some hardcore songs, we go single guitar and the bass accompanies the heavy guitar rhythm...
i'm the bassist for a one-guitar band. the guitarist is good but he really bugs the **** out of me. i don't know if he realizes it but he's a control freak. any song ideas submitted by the rest of us often fall on deaf ears(anything that didn't come from him is avoided). the worst part is many times when i'm noodling on guitar/bass inbetween sessions, i'll play something and the next practice i hear him play the same thing as if he came up with it.

they guy has a less-than stellar ltd explorer and he will not, under any circumstances, let anyone touch it. i don't get that. two guitar bands have an advantage. two dicks that will annoy each other instead of me. sorry for the rant. i just needed to vent, eh.
guitars: G&L Legacy USA, Peavey Rotor EXP, Squier affinity strat.

amps: Peavey Bandit 112

Effects: DF-7 distortion factory, Crybaby wah(gcb-95)
I'm in two bands, one with me as the only guitarist and one with another guitarist, and both have they're pros and cons. Two guitars allow you to write better harmonzied riffs, and using with arpeggios is easier when the other guitarist is playing that chord. However with one guitar, the bass gets heard better, and with a good bassist that's a good thing. Also when it comes to rhythem playing, I like it better with only 1 guitar, having 2 guitars playing rhythem gets too overcrowed sounding in my opinion.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
I really Like Only One Guitar, Two guitars is kinda over doing it for me... Im in a punk band so I don't need to be backed up..

But It Metal, and rock N' Roll it sounds kinda naked.
Technically I'm the only guitarist in my band. But it works out fine because we have a pianist/keyboardist. He usually plays more lead-y stuff actually.
we know a place no spaceships go
Quote by w3ird_people
i'm the bassist for a one-guitar band. the guitarist is good but he really bugs the **** out of me. i don't know if he realizes it but he's a control freak. any song ideas submitted by the rest of us often fall on deaf ears(anything that didn't come from him is avoided). the worst part is many times when i'm noodling on guitar/bass inbetween sessions, i'll play something and the next practice i hear him play the same thing as if he came up with it.

they guy has a less-than stellar ltd explorer and he will not, under any circumstances, let anyone touch it. i don't get that. two guitar bands have an advantage. two dicks that will annoy each other instead of me. sorry for the rant. i just needed to vent, eh.

Your guitarist sounds like my bassist.
My band used to consist of 2 guitars ,me and this other guy, and the guy was our singer. We recently switched him to just singing and its great because i only have to explain partsto the bassists and when were practicing we use him as an audiences ear to see what we can do to make the song better.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
Page 1 of 2