im thinking about joining my highschools jazz band but im not sure if i have to try out...anyways if i have to try out whats a good song to play?
I wouldn't recomend a solo jazz guiar peice

ask the director for some audition music thats how it's usually done
I've never seen auditions where you choose the music
Guitars
Gretsch corvette
Epiphone SG special

Effects
RP350
big muff pi
crybaby wah
RC-2 loop station

Amps
Spider II 15W
Bugera 333XL 212
It's almost guaranteed to be notation.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
It's almost guaranteed to be notation.

It's actually lead sheet. I tried out, but didn't make it. I would've made it if it was sheet music though! I don't have chords memorized. I compose them on the spot, but I couldn't do it fast enough at auditions with all the pressure, and me not being a virtuoso. Anyways, know your chords fingerings. You don't even need to know what notes your hitting.

Man, I would've gotten in if it was sheet music. Me = uber pwn at reading treble cleft.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Quote by myheadsempty
that really sucks all i know is tab =/

You don't know chords?
Gear...
it's not hard to read music. You could probably learn to do it well in a week if you bust your ass.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
yeah, jazz band requires reading of sheet music. also, it would be great to know lots and lots of chords, as well as some theory in case asked to improv
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by myheadsempty
that really sucks all i know is tab =/

I want you to know that this isn't meant to sound mean, but dude, jazz is pretty much the most musically complex contemporary style. Tab will hardly get you anywhere in a proper jazz setting.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
You guys are giving him bad info. You need no theory or any sheet music skills. Just go out and buy a fakebook, learn chords, and you're in.
Gear...
Quote by myheadsempty
im thinking about joining my highschools jazz band but im not sure if i have to try out...anyways if i have to try out whats a good song to play?

if they don't give you a song, then look up the bass riffs to In The Mood by Glenn Miller orchestra. they're hella easy and it's such a well-known song....and swing it!

also: LEARN YOUR CHORDS....like every chord imaginable....minor ninth, minor fifth, major seventh, minor seventh, seventh, sixth, ninth, etcetera. i can give you a simple chord diagram (like root-fingering relative) if you want. it saved my life.
Songs!
Something's Changed
Frost

BC Rich Mockingbird Evil Edge
Dean Palomino Vintage Sunburst
Indiana Scout Acoustic in Sparkly Blue
Kustom Arrow 16DFX, soon to be a Vox Valvetronix 50
Dimebag Custom Crybaby
Fab Tone
Quote by abcdboy
You guys are giving him bad info. You need no theory or any sheet music skills. Just go out and buy a fakebook, learn chords, and you're in.

If he ends up having to take a solo, then it would help GREATLY to know your theory. Theory helps with learning chord voicings too...
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
If he ends up having to take a solo, then it would help GREATLY to know your theory. Theory helps with learning chord voicings too...

Yeah, but again, it's not a necessity. I know maybe equivalent to Advanced theory (Talking about CM's here, though, hehe, advanced might be pushing it), and I didn't get it. It's all chords. Just memorize chord fingerings and work your way up.
Gear...