Hey all,

I recently purchased a United States Army ring in the estate section of a jewelry store in Upstate New York. I thought if anyone could tell me about it, you could so I was wondering if you would help me figure it out. The pictures of my ring are attatched, but I'll try and describe it in case you can't see them. It's white gold, and looks kind of like a class ring. It has a compass rose with a small diamond in the center on the top. Around the compass rose it says United States Army. There is an eagle on one side, exactly like the one on the US Seal (it has arrows and olive brances in its talons.) On the other side, there is part of an eagle (just its head and one wing) holding a sword and an olive branch. Above that eagle there is a globe.
I hope that these distinctive traits can help me figure out a little bit about who owned the ring before me, it would be really interesting to know about him.

Thank you for all your help!
Attachments:
RING 007.jpg
RING 006.jpg
RING 005.jpg
Co-Founder of the Peace Club
PM me or peanut head to join.

there is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. my brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness.
It's a ring. With some army stuff on it. Looks suspiciously like it came from a vending machine.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
cowgrl1nthesand
UG's peacemaker.

Location: i live in america, land of the "free" and the home of the brave(who like to show their bravery by shooting and bombing innocent people. peace also takes courage people.)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ lets do something about that
It can't be your fathers, this ring belongs to someone who is deceased

EDIT: belonged*

there is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. my brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness.
Quote by cowgrl1nthesand
It can't be your fathers, this ring belongs to someone who is deceased.

Uh oh....
Seeing as your Location quite obviously states your arrogance and stupidity and lack of any patriotism, why the hell would you buy a U.S. Army ring? are you going to make it a napkin holder or something?
no worries, kid.

but seriously if any of you can tell me what any of the symbols on this ring mean, that would be great.

EDIT: this was re the daddy comment.

to the newbie above me: free country. why can't i buy an army ring if i like it? it has someone's history and past attatched to it. just because i hate war doesnt mean i don't appreciate our boys dying for us. sure, i don't think it's right that we go about solving our issues by killing people to make a point, but now that the soldiers are in iraq we have to support them. but that is for the political thread, not here.

Last edited by cowgrl1nthesand at Jul 16, 2007,
Not anything "official" like a WP class ring.
Probably bought off post in Korea or maybe 'Nam by some 18 or 19yo kid that thought it was cool.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Also, if you had any basic knowledge of U.S. History you would be able to decipher some of the symbols yourself such as the eagle, it stands for Strength, independence and courage. The olive branch stands for peace and prosperity. Compass Rose might stand for moral direction.

Depending on what the item was crafted from it could of been made for anyone at any rank, especially if you don't have a time line of where and whence it came.
Thank you,
I did know about the olive branchand the eagle it was the compass rose that was confusing me. i was kind of wondering if it would mark a rank, but i'm not sure.

the ring is 17g white gold with a diamond...helpful?

Bet it's pewter with zircon.
Absolutely no indication of rank.
No ring proffered by the Army (WP class ring, OCS class ring, BT class ring) have any indication of rank.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by cowgrl1nthesand
Thank you,
I did know about the olive branchand the eagle it was the compass rose that was confusing me. i was kind of wondering if it would mark a rank, but i'm not sure.

the ring is 17g white gold with a diamond...helpful?

Yes, most likely a ring made for someone of a higher rank in the army maybe an officer or someone who was decorated for doing something special. You have no time line for the ring?
no, i wish i did. i can't find anything similar online which makes me think that it was custom made. it's been cleaned a few times, i know that much so im pretty sure its old ... things that were similar were from before WWII but after the civil war (but wouldnt it be a trip if it was from that far back)

Take it to a jeweler and if you can, maybe someone who has a lot of knowledge about military decorations. or........ANTIQUE ROAD SHOW!!!! YAAAH!!!!
Quote by WinterMadness76
Seeing as your Location quite obviously states your arrogance and stupidity and lack of any patriotism, why the hell would you buy a U.S. Army ring? are you going to make it a napkin holder or something?
Questioning what our troops are fighting for is much more patriotic than flying a flag from your front porch.
"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start..."
Charles Bukowski
haha antique road show kicks ass. thanks for all the advice guys (esp wintermadness76) , i did take it to a jeweler so jackal58 you're wrong about the material. its white gold and diamond.

sex, drugs, rock n roll, life. in that order.

peace.

Quote by BreakingBnj
Questioning what our troops are fighting for is much more patriotic than flying a flag from your front porch.

The comment about bombing and shooting innocent people? that's not questioning what they're fighting for, thats smearing the good name of people far braver than you and I. Some idiots (usually liberal, but not always and its usually very few) like to portray good caring people as monsters.
Quote by BreakingBnj

I don't like what he says but I agree with you 100% I will put my life on the line to allow any or all of us to say what we will.

And to the ts rings like that and many others were available to purchase all around the world just outside the gates of any U.S. military installation. It may hold some sentimental value to the person/family of the owner but it is nothing officially issued by the U.S. Army.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by cowgrl1nthesand
no worries, kid.

just because i hate war doesnt mean i don't appreciate our boys dying for us. sure, i don't think it's right that we go about solving our issues by killing people to make a point, but now that the soldiers are in iraq we have to support them. but that is for the political thread, not here.

need i say more?
people, save it for the political thread.