Ok so heres the old thread to put everyone up to date...
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...d.php?t=269260

Im pretty much convinced to get the 5150. Anyways, I just want to remind everyone I will be using this as a "at home" amp but I want it to have enough power that if I ever needed to power it up...it would have what I needed.

Anyways, I went to the studio today and as luck has it, the Peavey was there. So of course I plugged in my Jackson and off I went. At high volumes the thing is a beast. Im confused with all the controls and EQ especially since Ive never played a tube amp before but with your guys' help I'll eventually learn. Anyways, since it will be an at home amp for now i cranked down the volume and HOLY Craep, it sounded so bad. The thing had like no kick to it whatsoever and sounded so bland. I know tube amps sound better louder but c'mon! So that kinda annoyed me. Then I tried the MG stack that they had and I actually liked it, even at low volumes. SOOO in the long run I was mad.

So now I just got back from guitar center after trying other Peavy stacks at low volumes. And to my surprise, they sounded great at lower volumes. Indeed even better at higher ones but nonetheless it was playable at a low volume. They didnt have a 5150 there so I couldnt test it out there. I tried the MG again and again I liked it.

So I was thinking...is it just that the 5150 isnt meant for low volume playing ORRRR maybe could it be that the tubes are too old and thats why it sounded bad at low volumes???
Edit/Delete Message
the reason why it sounded band is because tube amps are meant to be loud and turned up to loud volumes. low wattage is better for home because it can handle low volume better
they dont make the 5150 because some lawasuite years ago with eddie van halen and now it is called the 6505
The 5150 is a great gigging amp but there are others that will sound much better at home and still be gig-able. Not a solid state basher but if you get the MG you will probably be disappointed sooner or later. There are much better solid-states out there.
if you were playing thru the peavey cab too your pbolem could be the presence knob. fiddle with that a lot, turning it up and down until you find something u like.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (Black Cherry)
Peavey 6505 Plus Head: 120W all-tube goodness
Peavey 6505 4x12 Slant Cab
Tacoma Somethin-or-other Acoustic (i bought it used)
Quote by EEF13
why do you want the 5150 for home anyway?

Well if you looked at the link you would know. I have a chance to get it for $300.
Quote by EEF13
the reason why it sounded band is because tube amps are meant to be loud and turned up to loud volumes. low wattage is better for home because it can handle low volume better

Thank you for being redundant as I stated in the thread that I knew that...AND i also mentioned that I tried 2 other tube amps at Guitar Center today and they sounded fine at a low volume.
Quote by EEF13

Peavey's high gain amps rely mostly on preamp gain, so they dont need to be cranked to get a good sound. You can still crank it and get the power tube saturation you hear in other tube amps but they are designed to sound good at bedroom levels too.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (Black Cherry)
Peavey 6505 Plus Head: 120W all-tube goodness
Peavey 6505 4x12 Slant Cab
Tacoma Somethin-or-other Acoustic (i bought it used)
Are you taking about the head or combo?
Gear
Epiphone Sg
60's MIM Strat
Epi Valve Junior
Peavey classic 50 212
Old peavey 130
pedals
well like everyone said you should be able to get good tones from preamp gain at low volumes. But if after you change the tubes you still arent satisfied you could get the 60 watt mod from fja mods,and since your only paying 300 you would still be under what you would pay for a new/good used one.

edit: 6o watts should be loud enough by far
Gear
Epiphone Sg
60's MIM Strat
Epi Valve Junior
Peavey classic 50 212
Old peavey 130
pedals
There's actually a cut off point on the knobs. The speakers won't sound good at all unless they've got a certain amount of volume going through. Like, if it's too low, it'll sound all fizzy and what not, but just a bit more, it gets loads louder, and sound more full. For me, it's fizzy when my amp is on .4, and sounds pretty full on .6

It'll be good at low volumes too, since distortion comes from the preamp valves anyways.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by n0e
Peavey's high gain amps rely mostly on preamp gain, so they dont need to be cranked to get a good sound. You can still crank it and get the power tube saturation you hear in other tube amps but they are designed to sound good at bedroom levels too.

I agree that if you can turn them up where you can get a little punch they don't sound too bad and I like preamp distortion. I have a 50 Valveking 112 and I play it pretty low when no one is home but if it is turned down to whisper levels it doesn't sound much better than a solid-state amp. I know its different from a 5150 but isn't the 5150 100 watts? My go to amp for what I consider bedroom levels is an old 1984 Peavey Backstage Plus (solid-state) which also sounds very good. I still find myself gassing for a dinky tube combo like the Peavey Valveking Royal 8 to fill the gap. I guess the definition of "bedroom volume" is different for everyone. I don't doubt your word, I haven't tried a 5150 at low volume. I do know that Peaveys are very versatile amps. I just have misgivings about playing so low that it barely moves the speaker. So I am not saying you are wrong.
I own a 5150 and regularly play it at 1-3 on volume and it sounds just fine. When cranked it does sound better, but that's because the power tubes are being saturated better. The Pre-Amp Gain on the 5150 is designed so you still get a good distorted sound at low volumes instead of having to buy an attenuator.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Jul 17, 2007,
Any time I play the 5150/6505 they have at guitar center the same sort of thing happens. I tend to have to crank it to get a really distorted sound, otherwise it just seems to sound practically clean at low volumes.
Quote by tylertilly
Any time I play the 5150/6505 they have at guitar center the same sort of thing happens. I tend to have to crank it to get a really distorted sound, otherwise it just seems to sound practically clean at low volumes.

You're not turning Pre-Gain up high enough then. Turn pre to 7 and post to 1 or 2 and you should have enough distortion for any kind of metal.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Mattdreyer
Bit of a noob at this but what about an overdrive pedal/hot plate?

The 5150 doesn't need an OD pedal and sounds fine without a plate. Either the TS is not EQing it right, or there's something wrong with the tubes/amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
^An attenuator is a great tool if you can afford one. However, you have to understand that you can't put your amp at 100% and the Attentuator at full attenuation and expect to have amazing tone, you need to go moderately.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by MatrixClaw
You're not turning Pre-Gain up high enough then. Turn pre to 7 and post to 1 or 2 and you should have enough distortion for any kind of metal.

haha makes sense. i was doing it the other way around. i feel like an idiot. thank you
Like my friend MatrixClaw once told me .... Attenuator? i know they are a lil expensive but ur are getting the head for only 300 buck so come on. Let go SOME of the tone but it'll be playable at low volumes.

Heres a link i found in some other thread. (hope i dont get reported)

http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

Im thinking of buying one cause i cant take the fact i cant play my 6505 at home!!! I live in an apartment on the second floor. It impossible to play louder than 0.8.

Edit: god damn u Reincaster haha
Thanks for the help guys.

Im a little annoyed because its been 2 days and the guy hasnt emailed me back
Quote by EEF13

You are an idiot.
My 6505+ outdoes most SS's in terms of tone (for its genres anyway) at low volumes, it sounds AMAZING.
It just sounds BETTER at high volumes
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
You are an idiot.
My 6505+ outdoes most SS's in terms of tone (for its genres anyway) at low volumes, it sounds AMAZING.
It just sounds BETTER at high volumes

Yeah he's right.. He played it over MSN xD

It's even great sounding over a computer mic.. Or webcam I dunno what he's using hehe..
I boost my 5150 with an od all the time (modded maxon OD9). Its always on. I keep the pre at about 3 or 4 and its more than enough distortion for anything. Work on the EQ and pres and res knobs to tweak and tighten the sound. IMO turning the pre above 6 on a 5150 is just silly.

I took my Amp and OD settings from andy sneap as a starting point a little over a year ago. I tweaked my sound from there and Im very happy.

Also, the preamp tubes in the amp you tried might be different than the norm because some people put lower gain preamp tubes in to quiet the hiss.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
No need for attenuation with a 5150 either
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Quote by joining_heads
No need for attenuation with a 5150 either

Depends where u live/play it. If i put over 1 i'd get kicked out of my house. OR put my cab on my bed so the mattress muffles the sound.

But i guess the point is clear. It gets better the higher u go (u get the sound that u paid for!)
I agree with Joining Heads. It doesnt need attenuation. i play a 5150 and it sounds fine at bedroom levels. The only thing i ever have to do is maybe turn the gain up because it loses some as it gets lower but thats really it.
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
but does it really matter?? if your planning on getting it , go ahead, it doesnt matter that much if your tone is unreal when only you can hear it.
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI