For classic rock, metal, clean stuff, and light distortion, would a Peavey Valveking or a Peavey Windsor be better? An other recommendations for amps around there price?
The VK will do okay on cleans, but probably not modern metal. The windsor has pretty muddy sounding cleans though they don't clean up as well as a JCM800.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Yeah, the Windsor cleans are almost unusuable. However, the distortion is amazingly versatile for the price. I have it and I love it.
Depending on your budget, I say a Peavey Classic 30. The cleans are like fenders but with a tad bit more warmth, and the overdrive is really versatile.

Quote by rockr09
So whats so bad about the cleans?

There are no cleans <_< >_>
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Nah, I don't need a halfstack.
Could the valveking do good heavy tones with a nice distortion pedal?
The thing about the Valveking is that its versatile...but it doesn't have the greatest tone. Like, it does everything decent to good range. Nothing too great about it. Good budget amp though.

Believe me though, the cleans sacrifice on the Windsor was well worth it for the tone it gets. You probably won't even need an OD, it has a built-in boost.
Quote by rockr09
Nah, I don't need a halfstack.
Could the valveking do good heavy tones with a nice distortion pedal?

First time I've actually heard someone asking for advice on a new amp said that they didn't need a half stack.

I'd say go for the Classic 30
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
windsor has great overdrive tones, and the clean is useable, but its not the cleanest of cleans.
^Meh, halfstacks are cool, and I would love to have one, but theres a difference in wanting and needing. Not to mention I don't have the money for it, or room, and its not like I'm gigging stadiums.
I'm thinking about the windsor really, but I need info.
Theres a clean channel on it right? And if its just that the cleans have no warmth or life in them, I could just my rp80 to model a better clean amp right? The rp80 has good clean models if you ask me.
I like my VK head. I play death metal and use it at shows w/ a vader cab, and it does the job well. It's no 6505/5150, but its great for 530 bux.
no, windsor is one channel, and to get cleans you have to roll back your guitar volume, but they arent lifeless
hmm... think I could get some professional to mod it to have a clean channel? I probably won't but...
I actually like the cleans on my Rage 158, I might get an A/B box and switch between the two...
Or I might just roll down my guitar volume after all...
definitely try the amps out side by side. i think the valveking is actually more versatile... since it has a clean channel, a distortion channel, and a boost.

but if you're down w/ classic rock then the windsor is sweet.
Quote by ian1977
no, windsor is one channel, and to get cleans you have to roll back your guitar volume, but they arent lifeless

In my experience with it, the windsor has far too much gain to clean up nicely. The best I could get was bluesy, slightly muddy cleans, but not good for chord work.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Wait, I just look up the windsor (I've seen them before at shop, the half-stack model) and saw that the combo is only 15w. Plus I think I'd really like that clean channel. I'm thinking valveking. And I will try to try em both out.
Also, couldnt I just get better tubes to help the valveking sound better? And I could use a distortion pedal with it to get a good metal tone couldn't I?
Yeah, but if you have nice pickups and nice speakers, it honestly doesn't need a distortion pedal.

It won't be as much gain as a 6505, but it will have it's own tone that has worked just fine for me for metal. (keep in mind i use a head + cab, and not a combo.)
Honestly, I don't really mean metal, more like a nice medium between classic rock and metal. But it being able to do metal is also a big plus.
Thanks for all your help.
Windsor will easily handle the distortion tones you're after. However, you're really turned off about not having cleans. I was too at first until I started playing my own music and realised I don't use cleans as much as I thought. If it's really important, get a Fender Blues Junior and A/B for distortion adn cleans.

You wouldn't regret buying the Windsor.
Quote by tylertilly
I like my VK head. I play death metal and use it at shows w/ a vader cab, and it does the job well. It's no 6505/5150, but its great for 530 bux.

I recently tried out a VK for use in death metal. I wasn't expecting much since I had read on here that it isn't suitable for that, but I was really surprised.
With the gain boost on there is plenty of gain, but I thought the tone was better without the boost and still distorted enough.

Didn't try the clean channel

Oh, tried it alongside an ENGL Thunder 50 combo and for the price difference, the VK held it's own pretty well, I thought.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
A/B/Y'ing your Rage and the Windsor > Valveking
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

The VK has really good cleans (not quite as clean as Fender Twin Reverb) and much more distortion than I need, but the Windsor gets slightly higher reviews for metal. I play classic rock/white boy blues since 1969. Don't play metal (not even sure what metal means anymore) but I experimented (VK) with early Ozzy (Randy Rhoads) and Pantera tones and it sounds pretty close to me. I have a VK 112 and really like it and it is very versatile. Many players as you can see like the VK for metal also. I have really put mine through hell (short of throwing it around) and it hasn't failed me yet (1 year.) Haven't played through the Windsor but if these are in your price range try them.