Poll: Rhythm or Lead?
Poll Options
View poll results: Rhythm or Lead?
Rhythm
55 45%
Lead
66 55%
Voters: 121.
Definitely lead. My rhythm picking (fast down-picking, etc.) are not up to par.

Although, I can fly up and down the fretboard. Sweeping, tapping, alternate picking, etc.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
im pretty even but i would say lead because i can write leads to any kind of music.
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210
Danelectro grilled cheese & t-bone

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Saving for Bugera 333 $300 / $599 :|

Quote by Doppelgänger
Agreed. There's no point in doing anything if she looks like shit.
Lead, but i'm the only guitarist in the band, so i have to do rhythm when im not soloing too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i'll say lead, but it really is both. my band has 2 singers, and we both play guitar, so whoever is singing at the moment plays rhythm, and the other plays lead.
Gibson Les Paul Studio, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50, Fender Cab, Dr. Scientist Cosmichorus, Catalinbread Semaphore Tremolo, Boss DD-6, Boss SD-1, Dunlop JH-1B, Takamine EG 530 SSC
I can do both, but I'd rather do lead. It tends to be more eye-catching and dazzling. Although, when playing Iced Earth or Demons And Wizards (Anything with Jon Schaffer playing rhythm), I ALWAYS play rhythm. Reason for this being Jon Schaffer is actually the central figure of godly worship in my life.
Quote by Ninjake
... isn't mung like, a bean?
I can do both. But I'm going to have to say lead. The only thing I can't do are Sweeps... But I'll have those soon enough.
you know TS you should edit ur post, it should say "no 'I do a little of both', pick a side we're at war".

Must Not Sleep.

Must Warn Others.

Gear:
Gibson Special Faded SG
Orange Tiny Terror (Combo)
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

3DS friend code: 3995-7035-3562
Why do we HAVE to pick one? It's a stupid question. I never got the memo that guitarists were only allowed to play only one or the other.
I like to play rhythm more but I do both
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
I play rhythm in the band I'm in but I am a better lead player IMO and I practice lead when I'm alone. I only play rhythm because the lead guitarist can't/won't play rhythm and I also do backing vocals.
My Stuff:
ESP LTD MH-400 (pic's here)
Epiphone G-400 SG
Vox AD30VT
Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer
I'm too obnoxious when playing to be a rhythm player
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
i play rythm, leads is fun and all, but im just better at the main riffs and like alternate picking and all that jazz
Overdrive of the Autobot Transformers G1 Club

Van Halen, October 16th, All-state arena, Section 213 Row A
This is daft - you CAN'T be a lead player without decent rhythm chops...the terms only exist to identify what parts are being played, not the ability or "role" of the player.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I do both, but mainly rhythm.. because i'm not the kind of person to run around going "look what i can do!!!111"
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
yeah, i mainly play rhythm, but sorta Lamb of God/Machine Head sorta rhythm. My lead playing is coming along nicely actually..
Rhythm
because all I can play is power chords, which I still mess up occasionally
The only technique I know is to palm mute, play power chords, down pick all the time, and pretend to be drunk so I can't play solos
all i really know how to play are power chords...here's A... A Major 7... B Flat something...

(not)
Quote by Invictious
Rhythm
because all I can play is power chords, which I still mess up occasionally
The only technique I know is to palm mute, play power chords, down pick all the time, and pretend to be drunk so I can't play solos

jk

Oooh, someone's gonna sig you for that, I'll make sure of it
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
I guess if I have to pick one, probably lead. I definitely play a bit of both, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I sing in the band and play guitar, so I play the rhythm parts in the Verse/Choruses etc. and my other guitar player plays the lead parts. But since I write the songs, when the solo comes up I play it.
Both, so I refuse to answer.
Actually, my "rhythm" playing is often in a lead style - single not riffs as opposed to chords.
But I'd say my riffing skills are better than my soloing skills, although I cover that as well.
So - both.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by xifr
Oooh, someone's gonna sig you for that, I'll make sure of it

*reported for off topic and spamming*

I can't even do 1 string sweeps
I am both beacuse I'm the only guitarist in my band.
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
Well, as the only guitarist in my band for 90% of the songs, I am both lead and rhythm. But I'm lead as a title I guess, but yeah, I have to play both parts.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Lead - I have absolutely no timing.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
rhythm. i always feel more comfortable playing power chords etc. than complicated solos
I find myself both. I play a lot of jazz, so you have to be able to comp as well as solo for how long. In my band, it would be both too. The other guitarist and I can take turns doing whatever as we are both about equal.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
I stood in for a rythm player at a local bar last friday night who got sick. I've only played acoustic there once before for a few minutes. i gotta say I was pretty freaked out, but it was a good experience. Big difference though going from a few minutes to over an hour. I didn't start getting comfortable until almost the end of it.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD