I have a peavey Rage 158. It takes a while to switch between cleans and overdrive because it has a manual switch you have to flip to get it to switch.
I want to build a A/B footswitch for it. Will it work for my amp?

Edit: wait an A/B switch is what you use to switch between the clean and overdrive channels right?
no man a/b is switching amps
My Gear=
ESP Horizon w/ Seymour Duncan bridge pickup
Mesa Boogie DC-5 50W
BOSS GT-6 Effect Processor
a/b is basically
                                to amp 1
            ------------------------------
-------------I
geetar      -----------------------------
                                 to amp 2

- = cable

I = switch
ahh.... my bad "thread self destruct in 5...4..."
So what do amps have as a footswitch to switch between channels?
Cause whatever it is and if it will work with my amp I am gonna build it...

Could I mod my amp to have a input jack for the clean channel and a input jack or the overdrive channel?
Last edited by rockr09 at Jul 17, 2007,
what amp you wanna footswitch? a peavey rage`? you cant footswitch it, because you need to have a footswitch input...and the thing you meant was a footswitch. your amp is kind of cheapish sort (no offence intended), and i looked at the back and front and there is nothing. dont worry. most amps in that price range dont have a footswitch.
Last edited by zwound at Jul 17, 2007,
Could I mod my amp to have a input jack for the clean channel and a input jack or the overdrive channel?

yes, but it will be very complicated....i think

waht i'd do, would be just buying a dist pedal and using it through clean...
CHEAPISH?!? CHEAPISH?!? WELL I'LL TELL YOU WHAT'S CHEAPISH!
Nah, I know my amp a peice of crap. I plan on gettin a new one soon. I was just wondering if I could use one for my amp. Plus I wanted to build a footswitch really bad. But oh well.
Thanks.
so is man man, so is mine ...i had to sell my laney tube because i moved...

but just cause i say it will be complicated, doesnt mean it is. i'm quite new to this myself...im building an amp atm. just stick around and wait for more experienced replies..

Well, you could replace the switch with a 1/4" jack and build a simple switching box (all it would take would be one SPST switch connected to another 1/4" jack) and run an instrument cable between the two.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
^Omg thank you, and the box would be one spst?
Would it run like this?

instrument cable>switch box>2 outputs(one to the normal input on the amp and the other to the switch0?
Quote by rockr09
^Omg thank you, and the box would be one spst?
Would it run like this?

instrument cable>switch box>2 outputs(one to the normal input on the amp and the other to the switch0?

I'm just assuming your OD/clean switch is wired up like most other switches out there. I'd take it out and check first.
Ermm, I'll show you how I would wire it up (providing your switch on the amp is indeed a SPST).
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
The switch is like planted soldered into the circuit board.
Quote by rockr09
The switch is like planted soldered into the circuit board.

How many lugs does it have? Can you get a picture?
Sorry, I'll have to later on. Lugs are the pieces of metal that stick out that connect to the circuit board right? Well from the top I can see 4, and switch is pretty much a metal box with the knob coming out.