I am looking for a cheap amp for under $250 which can do good hard rock and grunge stuff + some blues. Living in India, I don't have a lot of choice, I need to get them from abroad. Hence, testing is out of the question. I will be using mostly for garage and small gigs(1000 ppl). I can always mic it up, so wattage is not a criterion. Any advice?
Go with the Vox, there's really nothing else you should consider in that price range.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I live in Orissa(Bhubaneswar). And 1000 ppl is like the max I can get. And I should have mentioned, I HATE MODELLING AMPS OR AMPS WITH DFX. I was thinking of the crate V8. Any good?
behringers are crap, just so you know.
My Gear:

Jackson DXMG
Jackson KVX10
Hoyer Acoustic
Randall RG100ES
ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Crybaby

WARNING!: Every thread i touch dies.......
I was thinking of the crate V8. Any good?

Its great, but it wont do gigs without being mic'd. Maybe you should try looking at used gear?
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
You have great taste, stay away from modeling amps and effects onboard!

If you plan on being mic'd and want a great sound, the crate v8 is an excellent amp for the price. Since it is pretty far under look into a bad monkey, or OD-1. They will get you into all the mentioned styles with excellent tube tone!
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by SGRipper
behringers are crap, just so you know.

+1, couldn't agree more. Ive heard good thigns about VOX, but I do have to admit, I LOVE my spider.
Check out the Laney LC15 if you can find one used and you can stretch your budget.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.