Page 1 of 2
ok so i want to sound like jimi hendrix, particualarly on the early two albums.

i know in the first two albums he used:

strat>fuzz>octavier>marshall/fender
and a wah on one song from Axis.

i am getting a fender american strat and i already have my marshall amp, all i need now is the pedals and pickups. what do you recomend?

i also would like to know what pedal could get me the flanging/phasing sounds on some of his records.

i already have a wah(which im totaly scrapping and using the case for when i build a new wah that is more authentic) and i have a boss delay pedal(which i am replacing for either a line 6 delay modeler or EHX DDM)

for fuzz i have looked at roger mayer fuzzes but is there any thing cheaper that is just as good? i also looked at the cornell fuzz face.

id like some thing for that classic phasing/ flanging sound.

id like some recomendations for a roatating speaker simulator or univibe effect

and also some advice on pikcups.

cheers for the help.
Do you have experience in electronics? Because Fuzz Face are very simple pedals to build.
There are schematics for the Roger Mayer classic fuzz here, if you want to build one:
www.schematicheaven.com

What Marshall amp do you have?

For rotating speaker or Uni- Vibe the best would be something like a Fulltone, but they're very expensive. There are some Leslie simulators out there, the best from what I hear being the Hughes And Kettner Rotospher, but Line6 now makes the Roto- Machine and Boss makes the RT-20, which from what I hear are nice. If not a Visual Sound H2O can also nail thsoe tones.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
He's not looking for settings...

For fuzzs, I remember someone doing a shootout and saying that the Mayer one was the best (can't remember who though).

There are plenty of vibes to choose from such as the Roger Mayer, the Voodoo Labs etc. Just try a bunch of them out. IIRC all the flange/phase sounds are the vibe.

For pickups I wouldn't worry too much, work with what you have. For those creamy tones (ie. foxey lady, purple haze etc.) he uses the neck pickup (or neck + middle, can't remember).

His amp settings were everything on 10 (except for a few songs).
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
might try making a fuzz but i cant find geranium trannies any where.

btw im not just some noob who wants to sound like jimi i actually really want to sound like him down to the last details.

ive only been playing three years and my playing is already at grade 8 standard( according to teacher) i just dont fancy doing grades id rather just enjoy playing guitar and having fun.

jimi is my main influence particuallry his tone.

i have a marshall dsl, not the best amp in the world but its a practical size and is good for giging, but i am buying a new amp eventually (probably a fender reverb or some thing with perfect cleans and an english muffin for od)

im glad no one has told me to get the digetech hendrix pedal!

i want fuzz
flange
delay
univibe

listennig to hendrixs songs he rarely used the octavier, and tbh im not too keen on its sound ....
Last edited by The_0thersid3 at Jul 17, 2007,
Well ask Kerry (Call1800KSMYAZZ) on where to get germanium ones, he has made many build using Germanium trannies, he might even be able to build you one.

Well the DSL isn't perfect for Hendrix sounds, but it should get some decent work done. My tip is to set the amp clean, but have some slight gain in it, because if you listen to Jimi's clean sound you can often hear some VERY slight breakup in the sound.

And when it comes to a delay, you could get a Visual Sound H2O. They have a nice delay and a very nice chorsu and the chorus can really nail Leslie tones (I could for an example get that Badge Leslie tone).
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

dont have to ****ing boast dude, no offense but youd proberly get more responses if you werent so cocky.

BTW jimis standard is no where near grade 8
i dont like it when my UG firends fight ! jj

Dude marshall DSL ...... mmm , dont you think a plexi will suite you like a glove ? i know you probably dont wanna go broke in the quest of finding that pure Jimmi tone but if you really only want to play that , get a Marshall plexi re and a cab with some greenbacks. wouldnt sound much like Jimmi without putting Volume on lvl "BURST MY EARS" . Enyway good luck with youre quest.
Gibson SG spesial

Marshall 1987X MKII Head
Genz Benz El diablo 100 Head
Genz Benz Gflex 212 cab.

Korg AX1500G multi effects pedal
Well if you want Jimi sounds on low voluems (or Plexi in general, they only sound good on deafening levels) my tip is to get an Orange Rocker 30 (I sold my Plexi for one), but the DSL ain't too bad.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

i do believe jimi used this set-up most of the time.

strat > wah > fuzz > octavia > leslie sim > delay(whenever he did use one > super lead 100 with KT88s with everything dimed

he also used those long coily telephone-like cables which lost quite a lot of highs and those marshalls which he channeled from one channel into another (so i've heard)

closest wah you can probably get is a RMC wah, picture or wah 1. best sounding wahs with halos around. an MJM london, analogman sun face (might have too little bass), sweet sound monterey fuzz or maybe a fulltone 69. probably a fulltone octafuzz or a chicago iron one for the octavia. ehx DMM for the delay, fulltone dejavibe for the leslie.
^Actually Jimi had KT-66's, which were in the early Superleads and JTM-45's (both of which he used). His fuzz was a Fuzz Face on AYE modded by Roger Mayer and now reproduced as the Roger Mayer Classic Fuzz. For his fuzz on Axis he used a custom one built by Mayer, produced now as the Axis fuzz. Jimi also used to dime his Superleads and control the sound form his guitar. When it comes to Leslie sim he used a Univox Uni- Vibe, best reproduction today is the Fulltone Deja Vibe. When it comes to delay he used a Meastro Echoplex, best reproduction today is the Fulltone tube Tape Echo. When it comes to Jimi's flanging sounds he did something called "tape- flanging". Jimi also used an EMT plate reverb in the studio.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

My transtube gets it so close i can't tell the difference between it and the sound coming from my Woodstock dvd.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Randy Hansen did some fairly convincing Hendrix stuff in the mid-80's. Info on his gear might help you on yours. He (Hendrix) bridged two Marshall heads by a cord from one input to the input on the other head. Unless you are going to crank to 10 you already know you are going to be using at least some preamp distortion so you have a difficult but not impossible task ahead. The preamp component will obviously change settings and may take you to some unexpected pedal choices. I am more familiar with his live setup than his studio gear. Good luck and may the spirit of Hendrix be upon you.
yeah those fulltone TTEs are really expensive, have a waiting time and are limited.. and i'm not a fan of the RM pedals because of their weird pedalboard unfriendly shapes.. oh KT66s, got messed up with the numbers..
xifr
Thanks for the pickup and pedal advice, I already knew a little about his pickup selections, and after trying my teachers strat I really like the middle pickup in combination with the others for hendrixy sounds.
Gabel
that sounds great id love to have a go on a H20 Is the orarange rocker really that good?
Especially if it sounds like badge (big fan of EC EJ and the beatles)
Varkunus
I know jimis better than grade 8 but ive only been playing three years get over your self.
t3mp
what a bout a marshall blues breaker combo?
suckasucks
that’s some great advise and seems very well informed
uldhppi
It sounded like u were saying may the force be with you, cheers for the support and help.
^ Yes, the Orange rocker sounds very similar to a JCM800- some even say better
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
wow....ill defently give one a go then, what about the cleans.

gonig back to the topic of fuzzes, i think the roger mayer fuzz will be the best choice and the size of it really dosnt matter, unless i build my own fuzz if i can get hold of some trannies.

as for delay, ill probably use some thing non tape delay bassed as i dont really like them for some reason, ill probably get the EHX DMM.

oh i have a wah pedal (cheap nasty dunlop) but i can scrap it and build a new wah out of it. what schematic is best for the hendrix sound?

from the sounds of things i am going to make a wah and a fuzz i just need to find delay, chorus/univibe and im not to fussed about an octavier cause theyre not the best things in the world.

lol henrix sound on the cheap. i have a fairly decent knowledge of wiring things up and i reckon i could make a wah and a fuzz its just a case of weather it will be as good as a roger mayer. if i use gerainum trannies and orange drop caps hopefully ill be fine (and an elastic band to hold my pedals together for better tone like EJ does)
Last edited by The_0thersid3 at Jul 17, 2007,
Yes the Orange Rocker 30 is amazing.

i had a Plexi and I loved it. Fantastic amp. But it only sounded good on deafening volumes. So I had to sell it and needed an amp that sounded the same but not as loud. I found the Orange Rocker 30. It sounds like a cranked Plexi mroe or less. The cleans are good.

Yeah the H2O can really nail the Badge tone (this comes from a huge Cream fan).

Plexis are great, but to get the sounds you want you will have to play it on EXTREME volumes. Same apllies for the BluesBreaker.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Well that would work, but the H2O is actually both chorus and delay (one of each)
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

You might want to try Electro Harmonix's Big Muff Pi. The pedal itself was modeled after Jimi's sound (the original manufacturer's manual even says so with honest intent), and additionally, Jimi planned on using this pedal for his next album before he passed away.

I personally have the pedal, and I must say that it's a great fuzz pedal with great sustain and a very adjustable tone. Check your local craigslist to see if anyone listed this.

'04 MIM Fender Stratocaster
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss SD-1, CE-5, GE-7
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
not too keen on the big muff (sorry) i just prefer vintage sounds of the classic fuzz. plus it is easier to build. thanks any way.

just found out the delay time is 800ms !!!!

thats the exact delay time that i like. but does the chorus really sound like a univibe? my boss chorus doesnt sound strong enough to be a univibe.
Last edited by The_0thersid3 at Jul 18, 2007,
Well maybe not as a Uni- Vibe, but you can really nail Leslie sounds.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Those were the sounds I wanted and it works awesome for those sounds (and as most people knows I'm very picky with my tone).
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

lol me too its just i never have money to buy any thing (which is why my dad is buying me the guitar) and i got the marshall amp from selling art work in a local art contest.

but i am gonig to trade in my boss delay, chorus and overdrive to get the H20 and use my birthday money to buy the roger mayer fuzz. just need to get my wah sorted out after that, then save up for a new amp, i have been looking at matamps, THC sunset, orange and hiwatt.
do any of you have experience with these?

http://www.matamp.co.uk/kinghead.htm

i particualrly like the look of this amp.
Last edited by The_0thersid3 at Jul 18, 2007,
People, get this right, Jimi used an Octavia on only a few songs, it wasn't really a main part of his rig.
If you're trying to get his sound, get some vintage-correct pickups, a single channel Marshall, a Fuzz Face clone, a vox wah or fulltone etc and univibe.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Or the Amplitube Jimi Hendrix Edition.

Can really nail his tone, but not only that but the simulations in general are great.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by The_0thersid3
geranium trannies

haha

just a quick word on the amp...i found that you could do hendrix-y cleans with it well, but i'd say you should stay on the clean channel and not use the OD channel (i didnt like it at all...maybe it was because it was only slightly over shop level )

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^^ Are you serious!? I have never heard anyone trying a rocker 30 and calling it anything less than great, let alone 'meh' !!

im in a state of shock!

(and yes, the louder it is, the more it opens up and becomes an all-out sex machine)
Whenever I try out tube amps at stores, I ask to use an attenuator with it too so I can get a good idea of what the fully cranked sound is and I recomend you try that with the Orange and see if you're still meh about it :p
Quote by The_0thersid3
lol me too its just i never have money to buy any thing (which is why my dad is buying me the guitar) and i got the marshall amp from selling art work in a local art contest.

but i am gonig to trade in my boss delay, chorus and overdrive to get the H20 and use my birthday money to buy the roger mayer fuzz. just need to get my wah sorted out after that, then save up for a new amp, i have been looking at matamps, THC sunset, orange and hiwatt.
do any of you have experience with these?

http://www.matamp.co.uk/kinghead.htm

i particualrly like the look of this amp.

YES YES YES! The matamp would be perfect for you. They sound a lot like orange amps, except fatter and better.

And last time I checked www.smallbearelec.com had germanium trannies.

EDIT: http://www.smallbearelec.com/Categories.bok?category=Germanium+Transistors
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Page 1 of 2