Hi,

I've chosen a Laney bass amp and i'm not sure on which one to buy, there is the RB-4, RB-5 and the RB-6. There are certain features on both, and being a bass amp noob i'm clueless!

I play in a band that practices in my garage, so needs to be loud enough to play with the whole lot. I also practice in my bedroom, so around 60cm wide max. Weight wise, i'd like it light, but it's not a nesesity (SP?). I'd like tone like Mark Hoppus (I have the signature bass) but I know without an Ampeg I wont get it exact. I'm sticking to these Laneys because I get can a brilliant price (suppliers ) on them.

I'll list the features of both, and hopefully you can help me choose.

The carpet covered Laney RB4 Richter bass combo outputs 160 watts into a 15" custom Celestion with all the options. Bass, treble and 7-band graphic EQ, internal compressor for a punchy bass, switchable limiter, pre EQ direct injection XLR to get you into the house PA, effects loop and external speaker out. Carpet covered enclosure with a radiused front.

LANEY RB4 RICHTER BASS GUITAR COMBO FEATURES
RMS Power: 160 watts.
Inputs: Passive and Active Jacks.
Equalization: Bass, Treble, and 7-Band Graphic Mid EQ.
8 Ohms Speaker Connection.
Effects Loop.
External Speaker SKt for Minimum 4 Ohms.
Dirvers: 15" Custom Celestion.
Enhance Control.
Compressor with "Active" and "On" Status Lights.
Switchable Limiter.
XLR DI Direct Injection Socket Pre EQ.
Tuner Output Socket.
Kick Proof Metal Grill.
Weight: 25 Kgs.
Dimensions: 578 x 505 x 335 mm.

The Laney RB5 Richter bass guitar combo puts out 120 watts RMS into a 12" Celestion with switchable HF horn. Packaged in a kickback design with kick proof metal grille, the RB5 is built to live on the road. Features include 4-way EQ with parametric Mids, switchable Compressor and Limiter. Carpet covered enclosure with radiused front.

LANEY RB5 RICHTER BASS GUITAR COMBO FEATURES
RMS Power: 120 watts.
Inputs: 2, Normal and High.
Equalization: Bass, Parametric Mid, Treble.
8 Ohms Speaker Connection.
Effects Loop.
External Speaker Socket for Minimum 8 Ohms.
Dirvers: 12" Custom Celestion and Switchable Horn.
Cabinet Type: Kickback Combo.
Enhance Control.
Compressor with ON Status Light.
Switchable Limiter with ON Status Light.
XLR DI Direct Injection Socket Pre EQ.
Tuner Output Socket.
Kick Proof Metal Grill.
Weight: 20 Kgs.
Dimensions: 482 x 420 x 445 mm.

The Laney RB6 Richter is a kickback styled bass combo outputing 165 watts RMS into a 15" Celestion with switchable horn. EQ features a parametric Mid and fixed Bass and Treble, with both switchable Compressor and Limiter. Carpet covered enclosure with radiused front.

LANEY RB6 RICHTER BASS GUITAR COMBO AMPLIFIER FEATURES
Power RMS: 165 Watts.
Inputs: 2, Normal and High.
Equalization: Bass, Twin Parametric Mid for Low and High, Treble.
Speaker Connection: For 8 Ohm Nominal Impedance.
FX Loop.
External Speaker SKT: Minimum 8 Ohms. Drivers: 15" Celestion and Switchable Horn.
Cabinet Type: Kickback Combo with Folding Side Handles.
Enhance Control.
Compressor: Switchable with Status Light.
Limiter.
DI Socket: Pre EQ XLR.
Tuner Output Socket.
Kick Proof Metal Grill.
Weight: 29 Kgs.
Dimensions: 565 x 502 x 490mm.

Help me choose please! I've found out what the HF horns are now, so thanks for that help.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Join the only "REAL" Stratocaster Group here

Free Fender Strat here!
I can't help you with getting the tone you want really 'cause i'm rubbish at things like that, all I can say is I just bought the RB4 and it's sweet, the EQ is great, it's loud as hell and it's pretty damn sturdy and seems pretty indestructible

For volume and quality you can't go wrong with the RB4 I reckon
The RB6 has a little more muscle than the other two, and parametric EQ's are nice to have. It also has the horn option, which is useful if you want to get a nice bright slap sound.
But - the RB-4 is nearly as good and has the graphic EQ system, which is very easy to shape your tone with, and has nearly as much muscle. However it lacks the horn, which really can come in useful on 1x15" combo's.

Personally, if cash was not an issue, I'd go for the RB6 purely for the 1x15/horn feature, but the RB4 should perform perfectly well and leave you some spare cash floating around if you're not bothered about the extra high end the horn can give.

As I've said before in threads about the Laney RB series, I'm a little puzzled about Laney's choice to put a horn on a 1x12 combo, and I'm not a fan of 1x12's as it is, but I don't see why it wouldn't be a perfectly fine amp. Though personally I'd not run it without taking advantage of it's extension cab option and running a 1x15 or 2x10 cab under it.

Or you could sell your soul like me, and buy an RB-8...
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Jul 17, 2007,
Quote by Caustic
The RB6 has a little more muscle than the other two, and parametric EQ's are nice to have. It also has the horn option, which is useful if you want to get a nice bright slap sound.
But - the RB-4 is nearly as good and has the graphic EQ system, which is very easy to shape your tone with, and has nearly as much muscle. However it lacks the horn, which really can come in useful on 1x15" combo's.

Personally, if cash was not an issue, I'd go for the RB6 purely for the 1x15/horn feature, but the RB4 should perform perfectly well and leave you some spare cash floating around if you're not bothered about the extra high end the horn can give.

As I've said before in threads about the Laney RB series, I'm a little puzzled about Laney's choice to put a horn on a 1x12 combo, and I'm not a fan of 1x12's as it is, but I don't see why it wouldn't be a perfectly fine amp. Though personally I'd not run it without taking advantage of it's extension cab option and running a 1x15 or 2x10 cab under it.

Or you could sell your soul like me, and buy an RB-8...

Cheers for the write up, Money isn't an issue as I have £200 and I get the product at suppliers price. Eventually i'd buy a cab and head, but something like this will do for now. I like the RB-6, because it has the horn and the higher wattage. I was going to buy an RB-8, but it's just too big for my room!

Due to the price I can get it at, i'll have money spare (must buy some trousers though! ). I think i'd be worrying too much thinking that "why didn't I spend the money that I had to get the one with the horn ". I'd rather it not have the kickback option due to space in room, but I think it's worth it when playing in the garage.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
Quote by Darren5591
Cheers for the write up, Money isn't an issue as I have £200 and I get the product at suppliers price. Eventually i'd buy a cab and head, but something like this will do for now. I like the RB-6, because it has the horn and the higher wattage. I was going to buy an RB-8, but it's just too big for my room!

Due to the price I can get it at, i'll have money spare (must buy some trousers though! ). I think i'd be worrying too much thinking that "why didn't I spend the money that I had to get the one with the horn ". I'd rather it not have the kickback option due to space in room, but I think it's worth it when playing in the garage.

The kickback thing makes it a tad bulky, admittedly. If you're really struggling for space, I could see it being an issue. Something I didn't think through when I picked up my RB-8... I have to climb over it to get into bed. But ah well. It's been worth it.

If you're not planning on gigging with the amp, you should be fine picking up the most compact of the amps. But at the price you're getting them at, lack of floorspace is a poor excuse not to plumb for the best

Nice to see the Laney series finally getting some recognition, though. They do the thick vintage sound as well as Ampeg or Ashdown (in my opinion) at a fraction of the price.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Yeah, could you do me a favour and measure the width of the RB-8 for me?

I dont care about the depth or hight it's just the width (needs to fit between wardrobe and bed.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
The RB-8 Is about 20" / 50.8cm wide, but I'd allow a little more if you're thinking of fitting it between things. It has side handles and corner reinforcements that jut out a little.
hehe, fits

Now I've just got to confirm everything, are there sound clips of the RB-8 at all?
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
Here, apparently.

http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod=rb8

I'd record some for you myself, but my bass is in bits on a workbench right now.

Edit: Damn, that link only shows the RB-4.
Yeah it's a pity it doesn't show, i'm looking at the prices on the RB-8. Not bad for 300watts, dad says it's excessive, but you can turn it down.

Going to withdraw my cash, and phone my mate
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
Quote by Darren5591
... dad says it's excessive, but you can turn it down.

Going to withdraw my cash, and phone my mate

Pfft. Just because you've got it, doesn't mean you have to use it all... what's excessive is buying a small amp, then buying a more powerful one a few months later because you can't get enough juice out of it

Go for it mate. Just remember to have a car with a pretty big boot to hand - I went to pick mine up in my guitarists two door Renault... probably would have been easier to pick the Renault up with the amp.
Parents just bought a new Mazda 5 (top of the range, not to brag but it's very nice) to cope with the weight and for practices, it's just got to go up the stairs (with handles and bandmates shouldn't be to hard).

I know i'll buy an Ampeg STV head and cab one day, but something like this would be fine for what I do. Good thing is the RB-8 has a flat back, which means it's to become a sideboard to my bed lol!
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
Quote by Darren5591

I know i'll buy an Ampeg STV head and cab one day, but something like this would be fine for what I do. Good thing is the RB-8 has a flat back, which means it's to become a sideboard to my bed lol!

I'm guilty of that. For the smokers out there, it makes a perfectly proportioned surface to sit and roll cigarettes on, too.

'Ware the ventilation grille behind where the top handle is meant to be (I took mine off because we tend to stack amps up in small venues), though. I can't imagine spilling your morning coffee down that would do it much good.
Haha yeah, will make a nice change having the radio not next to my head!

Withdrew the cash today, should have it by friday, cant wait. I'm looking forward to playing though a bass amp, and not a 10 watt guitar amp at 2 volume (I'm gonna blow the speaker one day!).

Whats the difference between the normal input and high? There are plenty of features to discover which is nice, and it has that cone lol!
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
Quote by Darren5591

Whats the difference between the normal input and high? There are plenty of features to discover which is nice, and it has that cone lol!

Normal input is for passive basses (no onboard EQ, no active pickups), high input is for active basses (onboard EQ/active pickups).

If you play the Hoppus sig, you'll want the normal.

Well, enjoy the Laney. It really is a beast. You absolutely shouldn't have to buy another amp for a long, long time. If you ever find yourself needing a bigger sound (unlikely unless you start gigging regularly and are playing to crowds in the triple figures), just pick up an extension cab and hook it up to the back panel. And take out insurance on your brickwork
Went and had a look at the RB-8 this morning, looked fab and sounded ace. I noticed some features like active and Norm, which I'll have to look at when I get it. I should have it by friday or saturday, which will be nice.

Had the choice of a 2nd or a new, so chose the new one because I know it's perfect. I tried out the "kick proof grill" on the 2nd, seem to work well

Spoke to my parents about the 300 watt, I said "Look I can get a real good price on these, and if I go for this one then I wont have to upgrade. Also I dont want to feel quiet on a 160 watts, I want the biggy!" And after an hour of ironing she says I can buy. Winner!
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
After a couple of weeks of waiting (friend had gone on holiday) I've finally ordered!

Picking it up tomorrow, you dont know how excited I am!

Gonna have a long night ahead of me tomorrow...
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
I have it, its amazing! Didn't know how to stop it going too loud at first, so i'm keeping it low volume just in case because it's new and the speaker's are new. Tone is perfect with my bass, and the eq is very nice. I like the enhance knob, and the limited is handy.

Pics soon, but i'm off to play on it again
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!
Quote by Darren5591
I have it, its amazing! Didn't know how to stop it going too loud at first, so i'm keeping it low volume just in case because it's new and the speaker's are new. Tone is perfect with my bass, and the eq is very nice. I like the enhance knob, and the limited is handy.

Pics soon, but i'm off to play on it again

I wouldn't worry about the speakers, they're Celestion built and more than capable of handling high volumes.

Good to hear you like it though!
Yeah, it's a fantastic tone (anythings better that a 10watt guitar amp though). I've still not messed around with the settings yet, as with all new guitar/bass stuff I sit in the corner for the first half hour looking at it!

When I picked it up from the distributers, my mate showed me the sales room. It was a guitar plays shrine, with Ibanez jems, tama drum kits, the nexus 6x2 cabs and head. It was brilliant.

It fits perfect too, just enough (a cm more and I wouldn't have been able to open my wardrobe). Gonna take some picture's now.
Quote by azza6
Darren you rock.

Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You win sir

Free Fender Strat here!