what is the best way to hold a pick?
Anyone play gunbound? then add johnny93

....you must tap into: THE FORCE!
....or: THE FORCE! will leave you
....then, you will no longer have: THE FORCE!
i held it in index, thumb, and middle for ages, then i changed just to index and thumb 2/3 days ago... so much better.
the speed can alternate pick now, compare to before (which wasnt fast in all honesty anyhow!) is insane! =)
Quote by ZanasCross
I can now officially say, sex with paolio is not overrated. Best e-sex I've ever had....

Quote by qwdudeqw

With your hand.

When there's something strange in your neighbourhood...who ya gonna call?!

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Quote by qwdudeqw

hold it with 2 hands and bend the knees when you are ploughing the fields.
The position of the pick can change greatly depending on what you're doing with it
For fast picking i prefer tilting hte pick forward with my thumb and side of my index finger [there's a video on youtube of Paul Gilbert recommending this] and then there may be times that can hampeer you so you have to reposition your fingers to get it in the right way for you

However - technique forum is where this belongs
Personally, I like to put it in my mouth and chew it but I'm pretty sure it was designed to be used in your hand. I'm a bassist so I'm not too sure though...
Using the middle finger is for pansies. But it's all preference.

If you prefer to be a pansy or not.

But doesn't matter about how you hold, just has to be comfy.
Quote by ElephantTalk
hold it with 2 hands and bend the knees when you are ploughing the fields.

Lol.. "Bend ze knees!!"

But yeah, depends on whether you're soloing or just riffing... In the case of the former, just the index and thumb, but in the latter, I tend to use thumb, index and middle fingers.
NO NO NO I MEANT: the pick position. i use my index and thumb, but i mean pick position, cuz my teacher doens't use the long pointy side on the strings, he uses the flat side, because he doesn't want to dig too deep into the strings, and can pick faster. i agree with the pick faster, but his way has BAD ACCURACY. how oever, my way (the normal way, index & thumb, and pointy side towards the strings) is more accurate yet slower...

which way shoud i use? perhaps i just need a little practice to get accuracy on the teacher's way.
Anyone play gunbound? then add johnny93

....you must tap into: THE FORCE!
....or: THE FORCE! will leave you
....then, you will no longer have: THE FORCE!
Whenever I skim past this thread I always think it says "best way to hold a prick?"
Quote by mustardman
Granted, they're crap, but they're decent.
Quote by qwdudeqw
NO NO NO I MEANT: the pick position. i use my index and thumb, but i mean pick position, cuz my teacher doens't use the long pointy side on the strings, he uses the flat side, because he doesn't want to dig too deep into the strings, and can pick faster. i agree with the pick faster, but his way has BAD ACCURACY. how oever, my way (the normal way, index & thumb, and pointy side towards the strings) is more accurate yet slower...

which way shoud i use? perhaps i just need a little practice to get accuracy on the teacher's way.

If by guitar you mean cello and by pick you mean bow then your teacher is right, other than that it seems like he is holding the pick differently than the way it was designed...
Hmmm...that would be a very odd way of holding a pick

...or alternatively why would you hold your prick between your finger and thumb?
Quote by mustardman
Granted, they're crap, but they're decent.
Quote by qwdudeqw

Using the flat side will add more tone. You should try it. Once you build up your accuracy like that it sounds a lot better. I learned that from Tony Sarno.
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104