This is quite noobish and I am very sorry. I consider myself an intermediate guitarist so I am a bit annoyed that I have to ask but how do you palm mute like evh. I mean seriously, I don't need any crap like "just practice, man" I need someone to tell me like I have just asked "how does evh do it" NOT "how do you palm mute like evh".

just to clarify when I say like evh i mean like the opening riff from "ain't talkin' 'bout love"

NOT this sort of thing

|---------9---------------------------9--|
|---------9---------------------------9--|
|---------7--0--0--0--0--0--0--0--7--|
Last edited by Genius_92 at Jul 17, 2007,
oh and also NOT this sort of thing

PM-------------------|
|--9--9--9--9--9--9--9--|
|--9--9--9--9--9--9--9--|
|--7--7--7--7--7--7--7--|
I believe he palm mutes very heavily (i.e. his palm is relatively far forwards away from the bridge) and uses the neck pickup on his guitar with a phaser to get the thick sound
ohai little sig.
He mutes

With his palm.

Seriously, that's all there is to it...palm muting is palm muting is palm muting.

I believe he palm mutes very heavily (i.e. his palm is relatively far forwards away from the bridge) and uses the neck pickup on his guitar with a phaser to get the thick sound

Doubtful on VH1, seeing as his guitar only had one pickup. If you play the intro to Ain't Talkin' Bout Love palm muted then it should sound right - obviously if you machine gun a load of E5 chords instead then it won't sound right...I really don't quite see what you're getting at.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 17, 2007,
Quote by Demonikk

I swear evh's guitar only has a bridge pickup. (I mean the famous guitar)

and are you saying that all you really need to do is palm mute with the neck pickup selected and shed loads of volume.
very few guitar have only one pickups, and im pretty sure eddie's got at least 2.

EDIT: my bad. i was wrong
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
Last edited by Hdap101 at Jul 17, 2007,
Heavy muting on the lower three strings (E, A and D) with light muting on the higher three strings (B, G and E) so as to not completley deaden the sound. Really I know you didn't want to hear this, but just practice it. The intro riff to Ain't Talkin' Bout Love was the first riff I learned to play, to nail it I just sat and practiced my arse off untill I had it figured out. The only 'trick' I can really think of to it that Eddie possibly does is to slowly roll your palm over the strings, bottom to top to mute them as you play, so you're kind of subtly arcing your hand while picking... not so easy to describe.

Quote by Hdap101
very few guitar have only one pickups, and im pretty sure eddie's got at least 2.

Nope, a lot of the guitars Eddie used in the early years of Van Halen only had one pickup. Most of the material recorded on the CVH records were recorded with guitars that only had one pickup, although there are exceptions (Hot For Teacher recorded with a two pickup Gibson Flying V for instance) he didn't start using the Ernie Ball Music Man and Peavy Wolfgang guitars with their two pickup configurations untill the 90's. Now it seems he's back to the Franky (although that's probably down to publicity for the new Fender venture) a one pickup guitar. There's another pickup in the neck position but its not wired up, its a deaden there for show. More importantly, the guitar Eddie used to record Ain't Talkin' Bout Love (the subject of this thread) was record on a guitar with one pickup.
Lyrics, just breaks between killer solos.
Last edited by Cathedral at Jul 17, 2007,
steven seagull, what do you mean by machine gun E5 chords I didn't see a reference to E5 chords or machine gunning them.
I swear evh's guitar only has a bridge pickup. (I mean the famous guitar)

and you'd be right
and are you saying that all you really need to do is palm mute with the neck pickup
selected and shed loads of volume.

You just palm mute the relevant bits, obviously it'll sound different depending on your amp, settings and FX but that goes for anything, palm-muted or no.

Eddies "Frankenstein", which he used to record VH1, did admittedly have a single coil in the neck position but it wasn't wired up as he didn't know how.

steven seagull, what do you mean by machine gun E5 chords I didn't see a reference to E5 chords or machine gunning them.

Um...your first 2 posts both have tabs of E5 chords on them, the technique where you alternate betwwen the palm-muted open E and the E5 chord is colloquially known as "machine gunning". If you didn't know the chords you posted then I think it's time you stopped considering yourself an "intermediate" guitarist - you learn a lot quicker if you are honest with yourself about where you're at.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I know what Cathedral is Talking about but how do I know how much pressure to put on each string. I know on E A D it doesn't really matter but on G B e it buzzes or goes completely dead and I can't seem to control it.
Practice, trial and error...call it what you will. No-one can tell you because everyone plays differently and everyone has different stuff - when you start getting down to the miniscule technical details of stuff it can't be taught, only learned.

Seriously though, you need to be a lot more critical of yourself - you're a long way off what I'd call "intermediate"....a bit of brutal self-appraisal can work wonders for your progress.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I swear it's B5

7th fret low E=B
9th fret A=F#
9th fret D=B

I do know what machine gunning is

and it was only an example but lets give no more thought to it.
I tend to mute the higher strings after playing the note, so I get the full note very briefly. The higher strings don't need much muting at all, if any.
Lyrics, just breaks between killer solos.
Mr. Seagull

I swear it's B5

7th fret low E=B
9th fret A=F#
9th fret D=B

I do know what machine gunning is

and it was only an example but lets give no more thought to it.
I believe you - I just figured they were E's seeing as they weren't full tabs and E tends tends to be the bog-standard palm muting example.

Ultimately your problem isn't as much about technique as your playing instincts - you can learn every technique under the sun, but learning how and when to use them takes time - and not weeks time, years time. You need to pay more attention to the physical interaction between your hands and the guitar - the better you understand that the better your touch will be.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Heres another one for you guys, how do I do volume swells WITHOUT muting the strings. While still playing of course.
Quote by Genius_92
Heres another one for you guys, how do I do volume swells WITHOUT muting the strings. While still playing of course.

get a volume pedal.
Not Enough AssHatery