hey everyone. due to my amp being a bit on the large side ive not really used it much because its always loud regardless of what setting its on. recently i turned it on though and found out that when i took my finger off any string it made a sound like pulling off (i know how to pull off though and know that thats not what im doing) whereas before i couldn't hear this. therefore my solo's all sound really sloppy. does this mean i should palm mute when playing?
You're just a sloppy player, that's all - no disrespect intended. You won't have realised if you've been playing unplugged, but once you're amped then everything you do is magnified so you have to really tidy up your playing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
what amp have u got. what pick do u play with. what guitar do u play?
Quote by bpf3991
im paranoid of my keyboard now...little men are watching me
Practice? Play songs really slowly and building up speed, practicing on the amp.
My Guitar

Quote by metacarpi
Do it once, it's a mistake.

Keep doing it, it's Jazz.

Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.
Hate to have to give you this answer (as does everyone else who plays guitar) but you gotta practise, practise, practise: always play with the amp on when practising so taht you can tell if you're fixing the problem or not, eventually you'll get it.

P.S. Maybe adjusting your tone on the amp will help; eg. less treble/bass
By reading this magnificently and wonderful, adjective-filled signature, you have just wasted approximately 7 seconds of your life.
i have a peavey bandit 112, and 3 guitars a jackson rr3, a brian may red special (in white strangely) and the obvious squire, ive been playing for a year and i practice for (depending on work and things) 4 and 9 hours a day, so its not like i dont practice, and its not the guitar either, because it happens with all of them
For example, if you're playing unplugged and you lift your finger off a string chances are you won't hear anything unless you give it a pretty hefty flick for a pull off. Likewise if you accidentally brush an open string unplugged you won't notice a thing. Plug yourself into an amp with some distortion and you'll find that you can get a sound with very little effort - every time you accidentally hit an unwanted string it'll make a lot of noise.

You just have to tidy up and be more accurate - don't hit unwanted strings, fret cleanly and with less movement, lift your fingers off smoothly...stuff like that. If it gets worse when you're playing faster then that means you're palying too quickly...speed is nothing without accuracy, if it's getting sloppy slow it down as much as you need to be able to play it cleanly.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

It's not the kind of thing that takes hours, or days - it's a months/years thing....just ask Steve Vai. Hell, Jimmy Page made a career out of being sloppy, you just have to learn to control it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPvvTJ0ySPw
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

That's the thing, if you've been playing unplugged you won't have noticed - you just have to be a little more mindful of where your fingers are going initially, but eventually it just becomes second nature and you don't even have to think about it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Everyone pretty much summed it up but I have another tip. I noticed every few days as my nails get longer, they change my finger positions and I play really sloppy. So make sure they are always trim

Also, if you palm mute during a solo it won't sound the same so that won't solve much.
After you play something, dampen the strings with the fingers of your left hand (like playing a natural harmonic, only with 4 fingers). Practise this 'till you can do it without thinking
Quote by entity0009
some retards decided it would be funny to use mental conditions as insults.