Poll: Who should win the Mercury Music Prize?
Poll Options
View poll results: Who should win the Mercury Music Prize?
Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare
8 21%
Bat For Lashes - Fur And Gold
1 3%
Dizzee Rascal - Maths And English
7 18%
Fionn Regan - The End Of History
4 11%
Jamie T - Panic Prevention
3 8%
Klaxons - Myths Of The Near Future
6 16%
Maps - We Can Create
1 3%
The View - Hats Off To The Buskers
0 0%
The Young Knives - Voices Of Animals And Men
7 18%
Other (Amy Winehouse, Basquiat Strings with Seb Rochford, The View)
1 3%
Voters: 38.
Page 1 of 3
As most of the bands generally get talked about in either here or the other forum, this seems appropriate.

The poll only allows for 10 options, so please choose other if you want to vote for one of the last three - a tad unfortunate. I've put ones that I think are slightly less likely to get votes here into that section.

- Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
- Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare
- Basquiat Strings with Seb Rochford - Basquiat Strings
- Bat For Lashes - Fur And Gold
- Dizzee Rascal - Maths And English
- Fionn Regan - The End Of History
- Jamie T - Panic Prevention
- Klaxons - Myths Of The Near Future
- Maps - We Can Create
- New Young Pony Club - Fantastic Playroom
- The View - Hats Off To The Buskers
- The Young Knives - Voices Of Animals And Men

Personally I'm not sure. Don't think it's a fantastic selection, but I'd probably narrow it down to The Young Knives and Bat For Lashes as both of those albums were good. Probably Bat For Lashes in the end.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Young knives should win it, but i bet the Arctic Monkeys will.
bat for lashes was so obviously going to be on it this year, its an alright album 7 or 8/10 i guess.

list is dire though

edit: might as well give it battles
Last edited by bobjewell87 at Jul 17, 2007,
****, I thought I missed them out, but obviously it was New Young Pony Club instead. Whoops. Can't seem to edit the poll either...

And yes, it is a crap list, but haven't the last few been just as bad?!

I personally think it'll go to Amy Winehouse, but I don't want it to. So long as it doesn't go to the Arctic Monkeys, Maps, Klaxons, Jamie T or The View I don't really care.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Ahahaha didn't this is turning into the friggin grammies.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

I'd really like it to go to Fionn Regan (even though I accidentally clicked Voices Of Animals And Men) but as long as it doesn't go to the Arctic Monkeys, the Klaxons, Amy Winehouse, Jamie T or the View, I'll be happy. It willl probably go to the Arctic Monkeys though... unfortunately
partly for loyalty to local acts but also because i think he's just awesome and different in his approach, i'll say jamie t, putting wimbledon on the map for other reasons than the tennis!!!

All said, arctic monkeys will probably win it, no way near as good as their first album, but probably because that was such a breakthrough in my opinion.
i like all of them

so it's now between (takes a deep breath) New Young Pony Club, Bat For Lashes, Klaxons, Arctic Monkeys, Young Knives and The View
my books myspace
Here
read it, new chapter added every 2 weeks
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
So Klaxons just won. How about that, huh?

Fionn Regan should have won

At least The View didn't win.

I all seriousness, though, I don't see what people have against Klaxons. It kinda pisses me off. It's just because of this whole Nu-Rave thing isn't it?
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
So Klaxons just won. How about that, huh?

Fionn Regan should have won

fionn regan winning would be like, the completion of the mercury music prize ignoring its supposed intention. klaxons are at least a little closer to its remit...
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
dizzee rascal would have been a good one, bat for lashes too. i'd probably go for dizzee
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
I don't see what's so groudbreaking about the Klaxons. They are alright at what they do (catchy dance able tunes) but it was quite a rich claim from their bassist that they have made the most forward thinking album in the past 8 years.
Just by adding weird effects to your songs and wearing fluorescent clothes doesn't make your music groundbreaking and forward thinking, that has all been done in before anyway - bands like Can and Devo mastered this way back in the 70's. So by claiming that Amy Winehouse shouldn't have won because she is retro is not a valid claim in my opinion. They are just as "retro" as her.
If the View had won I'd have cut my balls off. They don't deserve to win anything. I'm not so bothered about the Klaxons winning, I didn't have a particualr favorite on the list anyway.
I like how when Amy Winehouse didn't win, she huffed out of the building with a face like a smacked arse.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
I like how when Amy Winehouse didn't win, she huffed out of the building with a face like a smacked arse.

It seems like there's nobody with any grace left in the music business these days...
Who did actually win this last night?
~Gear~
Ibanez S520EX
Marshall MG15DFX
Digitech The Weapon
Vox Wah V847-A

Quote by Cycon
But what do I know, I'm still a newbian
Quote by radio_schizo
I don't see what's so groudbreaking about the Klaxons. They are alright at what they do (catchy dance able tunes) but it was quite a rich claim from their bassist that they have made the most forward thinking album in the past 8 years.
Just by adding weird effects to your songs and wearing fluorescent clothes doesn't make your music groundbreaking and forward thinking, that has all been done in before anyway - bands like Can and Devo mastered this way back in the 70's. So by claiming that Amy Winehouse shouldn't have won because she is retro is not a valid claim in my opinion. They are just as "retro" as her.

This is it, they're not forward thinking at all, and the worst part is that they're absolutely full of themselves. They're just another NME championed fad that will fade away soon enough.

I would have liked Amy Winehouse to win, mainly because I find her strangely hot, but also she's the artist I hate least (in fact I don't hate her at all, I'm just not that interested by her music) on the list.
I will never travel brandishing a sharp tongue, out of fear of piercing my own heart...
Quote by Felony
Who did actually win this last night?

Klaxons - Myths of the Near Future
Ah ok cheers mate. I think they have only had two songs so how can they win an award? Oh well good job to them i guess.
~Gear~
Ibanez S520EX
Marshall MG15DFX
Digitech The Weapon
Vox Wah V847-A

Quote by Cycon
But what do I know, I'm still a newbian
No, I don't think Dizzie should have won, its a good album, but nah, its not as good as boy in the corner.
I don't think Klaxons should have won either, I think Jammy Tea, should have won.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Yeah, I was cringing throughout the Klaxons' speeches. No shame whatsoever.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Nah, it was a prime example of the dangers of being a bunch of pretentious asses.
Quote by Caustic
Nah, it was a prime example of the dangers of being a bunch of pretentious asses.

OOOMPH!

Totally true though, it's pretty clear that they think they're spearheading some breakthrough movement, when really, they're mediocre shit that won't have stood the test of time by next year.
I will never travel brandishing a sharp tongue, out of fear of piercing my own heart...
Meh. I like the Klaxons. Sure, they might not be groundbreaking or whatever, but they make fun, catchy music. Apparently I'm the only one in this thread who actually listens to the music instead of bitching about what prizes or reviews bands get.

And about them being pretentious assholes, I honestly couldn't care less. I listen to thier music, I'm not sharing a flat with them. Thousands and thousands of bands are pretentious.
Quote by YourLastAffront
OOOMPH!

Totally true though, it's pretty clear that they think they're spearheading some breakthrough movement, when really, they're mediocre shit that won't have stood the test of time by next year.

i dont think they intend to stand the test of time. in fact, the entire concept of 'the test of time' is a ridiculous one. you sound like the tate modern...
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
I am so sick of the word "pretentious"! I'm not referring to anyone in particular but some people use it without even understanding what it means. It should be censored or something

Anyway, I don't like the Klaxons. To me their music is not catchy or fun: just irritating. But that's just my opinion. If people like the Klaxons then they should listen them, I don't care.
Page 1 of 3