Alright so I sanded my guitar down to the wood, and I decided on doing a swirl finish on it. I've read the tutorial on project guitar, but it didn't clearly point out what paints/oils to use.

If anyone here has ever done a swirling job could you PLEASE answer these questions!;
1. What kind of/color primer should I use before dipping?
2. What kind of paints/oils do I use?
3. After I'm done dipping what should I do? (Clear coat or what?)

Btw if this helps I'm planning on doing a white body with blue swirls. So maybe do a white primer then just use blue oils?

The real concern is that I've never done this before and I want to make sure I do it right the first time.

ANY advice would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris
Yeah, white primer. I used the oil based Testors model paints with decent results. You need to clear coat the finish, the swirl coat is unbelievably thin.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
Yeah, white primer. I used the oil based Testors model paints with decent results. You need to clear coat the finish, the swirl coat is unbelievably thin.

I thought the tutorial said not to use Testor's model piant?

Everything I've read said use Plasti Kote (the paint that is mentioned in the tutorial). Your base coat can be whatever color you want (you want blue swirls on white, so you should do a white base). Get white primer, then paint over the primer with white oil based paint. I'm not sure if it would be ok to do the base coat in a urethane based paint because I've been told its bad to mix the paints.
I used it with perfectly fine results. It won't come out to a JEM DNA type swirl, but a cool one nonetheless.

EDIT: Don't paint over the primer. As long as it's white, you'll be fine.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
I used it with perfectly fine results. It won't come out to a JEM DNA type swirl, but a cool one nonetheless.

EDIT: Don't paint over the primer. As long as it's white, you'll be fine.

Do you have any pictures of how it turned out? I'm going to go out and buy paints for my swirl today. Why can't you paint over the primer? I thought primer had a slightly different texture than normal paint and you would notice it if you didnt paint over it
I tried a swirl once but it turned out looking like someone blew their nose on my friends bass. I think it was becuase we didnt have paint time extender...
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT
Thank you for the advice thus far, anyone know which brand name I should use? Just to keep things on the safe side.
Does it matter what kind of primer it is?
Last edited by hfsjunky at Jul 17, 2007,