Hey UG,
I'm thinking of getting an electric dedicated for metal and heavy rock playing.
I was looking on the bay for a new dean razorback (I love the looks) for like 450 bucks, but I don't trust it. I would prefer either a basswood or mahogany body, I really wouldn't like a floyd rose on it, and it has to have atleast 2 humbuckers. It'll also need a fast neck.
So... What is a decent choice for this price range?

Thanks!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Ibanez rg321 any of those rg321's are good, good mahogany bodies, super fast necks, relatively cheap, could replace the pickups, but the stock ones are even decent
im gonna go ahead and say Ibanez RG, cuz someone is going to. You might want a cheaper model so you will have money to get a new pickup. I have an Iceman with the same pups and they work but compared to EMGs or SDs they are pitiful.

damn i was too slow...
Eh. Most of the RGs are made of basswood, have crappy pickups, and poor quality LFRs..
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Eh. Most of the RGs are made of basswood, have crappy pickups, and poor quality LFRs..

That is, the cheap ones do. The nice ones are still made of basswood, have crappy pickups, and very high-quality Ibanez trems. Basswood is a pretty good wood, but it's cheap. That's why Ibanez uses it.
Quote by FRDesign
Whats wrong with Basswood?

Ibanez uses it in Jems and RG Prestige's

Nothing. It's very inexpensive, which gives a lot of people the idea that it's a bad tonewood. It's not.
Quote by Holy Katana
Nothing. It's very inexpensive, which gives a lot of people the idea that it's a bad tonewood. It's not.

Exactly. My Ibanez is made of it.
Quote by FRDesign
Exactly. My Ibanez is made of it.

Along with John Petrucci's musicman series. Many shredders prefer Basswood because of the light weight and the ability to cut through a mix.
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
Quote by FRDesign
Whats wrong with Basswood?

Ibanez uses it in Jems and RG Prestige's

It's fine. I just don't think it is "mean" enough for metal.

Quote by Holy Katana
That is, the cheap ones do.

The ones in his price range do .

Quote by subliminaldelta
Many shredders prefer Basswood because of the light weight and the ability to cut through a mix.

He doesn't play shred.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Yeah, I would prefer a mahogany body.
I love the look of some of the higher end agile LP's.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
yes....schecters and agiles would do you nicely, i would reccomend jackson and all, but you don't want a FR

so i'd suggest the EMG agile, or an Agile 3100 with a pickup swap

or a Schecter Damien or C-1 +

Also the C-1 would be nice, mahogany body, unfinished maple neck as far as i know

and active duncan's, nice. they were duncan designed actives, but man....i'd buy them...they cleaned up VERY well for actives, and still had plenty o' gain to spare when you needed that
Quote by sowhat360
epi les paul or try out some shecters

the schecter gryphon (not sure on the spelling) thats a really good buy its like 350ish
Get an ESP M Series and change the pickups for duncans. It'll be perfect. I did that with my cheap warlock. Sings like an angel of death now.
Quote by metalphreak87
the schecter gryphon (not sure on the spelling) thats a really good buy its like 350ish

I agree with this user.

Its 400 dollars, looks awesome, mahogany body, decent stock pickups, and is extremely versatile.